GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Telematics module (On star) in my 2012 Volt died at 41000 and now 25000 miles later has failed again. Compass intermittent, blue tooth intermittent, on star button intermittent. Dealer diagnosed and wants to charge me 1190 for new module and 850 for labor. Ouch
Called customer care, since it's out of warranty I have to pay for it and "hope" to be reimbursed. 2000 seems like alot for a part that has failed twice. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Telematics module (On star) in my 2012 Volt died at 41000 and now 25000 miles later has failed again. Compass intermittent, blue tooth intermittent, on star button intermittent. Dealer diagnosed and wants to charge me 1190 for new module and 850 for labor. Ouch
Called customer care, since it's out of warranty I have to pay for it and "hope" to be reimbursed. 2000 seems like alot for a part that has failed twice. Anyone else have this issue?
Oh and part is on backorder with no date of being available.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The telematics module on my 2012 flat stopped working within warranty. Can't remember if the dealer said they had to reprogram the module or just reset it (pull power?), to get it working again. They had it working in less than a day. No problems in the 7+ years since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do believe they reprogrammed it as the VIN number is specific to the module. Last time they put the wrong VIN in, took me 2 months with on Star and dealer for someone to take responsibility and fix it.
This time they didn't even try to reseat or check connections, just said part 1190 plus 850 labor. It's intermittent so that leads me to believe it's a connection.
Failing two times in the 8 years I've had it is sad. Car only has 67000 miles but mileage doesnt matter under warranty, I don't drive much haha

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,023 Posts
Wow. You're paying more for labor than I got charged for a whole replacement, parts and labor, a mere half-year ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. You're paying more for labor than I got charged for a whole replacement, parts and labor, a mere half-year ago.
Yea something is amiss, I'm trying to reach customer care to get some help. I paid 700 4 years ago for parts and labor so can't believe it went up 3fold. Ridiculous. I'll have to get the part number for this gold plated module. Do you have the part number for yours?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I declined to have the dealer fix it, more research is needed for sure. Thanks for letting me know you paid less than 850 for everything not that long ago, that is reasonable. I get there would be a price increase from 4 years ago but you just had it done for a fair price. So my dealer quote just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have had a "lost communication" message for the climate control module twice now. Each time was just after having the car serviced at the dealer (coincidence I suppose..).

The first time this happened I thought of checking the fuse for the climate control module. It wasn't blown, but seemed to have loosened itself so it wasn't making good connection. I reseated it and the message went away (and climate control was working again).

The second time I pulled the fuse and checked it - still good. Put the fuse back in and still got the lost communication message. I bought a new fuse and replaced the old one with the new one. Message went away and everything worked.

So for a lost communication message, I would find the fuse for the module that the car can't communicate with and check it carefully. Try replacing with a new fuse even if it looks like it hasn't blown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had a "lost communication" message for the climate control module twice now. Each time was just after having the car serviced at the dealer (coincidence I suppose..).

The first time this happened I thought of checking the fuse for the climate control module. It wasn't blown, but seemed to have loosened itself so it wasn't making good connection. I reseated it and the message went away (and climate control was working again).

The second time I pulled the fuse and checked it - still good. Put the fuse back in and still got the lost communication message. I bought a new fuse and replaced the old one with the new one. Message went away and everything worked.

So for a lost communication message, I would find the fuse for the module that the car can't communicate with and check it carefully. Try replacing with a new fuse even if it looks like it hasn't blown.
I did read a couple months ago on some forums to check the F9 fuse. It's the on star fuse, and was hopeful so I bought one and it didn't help but I didn't leave it out very long before putting in the new one. I might try it again. Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,023 Posts
Yea they said I had to pay for it and wait.
??? I have NEVER had a dealership ask me to pay for a part that they had to order. They ALWAY have more money to float than their customers do and they can send parts back for refunds or transfer them elsewhere if the customer doesn't come back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
??? I have NEVER had a dealership ask me to pay for a part that they had to order. They ALWAY have more money to float than their customers do and they can send parts back for refunds or transfer them elsewhere if the customer doesn't come back.
This is what they said:

"VEHICLE ONSTAR MODULE LOST COMMUNICATION WITH OTHER MODULE
AND IT WILL REQUIRE REPLACEMENT CUSTOMER ASK FOR A PRICE ON
THIS MODULE $1190.69. The part is on back order. Which means there is no release date.
You would have to pre-pay for the part and when the part comes in. You would owe the balance of
the labor. $850.00"

I've asked for the part number, something is just not sitting right with me. I've worked with this service advisor for a few years and always done me right. He first said 460 for part, then brought it down to 290 then wanted to have it rediagnosed for free and came back with 1190.69...had also first quoted 1625 for just labor and said they gave him the wrong hours to complete and it was now 750 (3 hours at 250 per hour). I'm just so confused.
I really do want to fix it, customer care said I could submit a claim since it only worked for 25000 miles. But not forking out 1200. I watched a video showing how to install and it was not that big of a deal. 3 hours to install seems like alot. I may call a few chevy parts depts and do some reconnaissance next week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was looking into this as a potential root cause for my 12V battery drain / SHVCS warnings. I thought the communications module was located by the OBD port and 1 bolt to remove? Dealer price might be $460 for the part, but can't see how they justify 3 hours labor? My Onstar has not worked since 2015 Canada 2G wireless change and my bluetooth / compass have been intermittent to inop for about 2 years. I'm just going to pull the F9 fuse and see how it goes. Might look at a reman part down the road if I need bluetooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are correct, my research shows it's easy to remove. Maybe some programming involved. I called another dealer and talked to parts dept and he named a couple modules but around 425 or so. My service advisor is ignoring me since I asked for the part number of the 1190.00 cost. My module is intermittent and it would be nice if someone offered to re-seat it. Maybe a loose cable. Today is a good day...the compass is working...will try the fuse again too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts