GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sideswiped in my 2015 volt....deemed a total loss by insurance, sad to see it in a junkyard.

grabbed a newer 2018 today , and im
Impressed with how nice this new volt is. Such a great car.
Guy who hit me ran and they still haven’t found them. My insurance is covering as a 0 percent fault.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,593 Posts
Wow, what did he hit you with . . . an Abrams tank? Looks like you had taken great care of a beautiful car. Good luck going forward. Sure glad there are no hit and run drivers in CA like MI; it's enough to make you want to buy a dashcam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what did he hit you with . . . an Abrams tank? Looks like you had taken great care of a beautiful car. Good luck going forward. Sure glad there is no hit and run drivers in CA like MI; it's enough to make you want to buy a dashcam.
He hit me in a 2017 Malibu. I was going about 65 hyper miling and he glance blew me from the left corner at about 100 mph. It removed the left rear wheel , rotor assembly completely. Blew every airbag. He tried to run but was disabled. Then fled on foot. They never got him.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
530 Posts
Sad to see this happen, it looks like you took good care of your Gen1. That said, I think you are going to love all the improvements and refinements that went into the Gen2. It's a sweet ride.

·
Registered
188 Posts
He hit me in a 2017 Malibu. I was going about 65 hyper miling and he glance blew me from the left corner at about 100 mph. It removed the left rear wheel , rotor assembly completely. Blew every airbag. He tried to run but was disabled. Then fled on foot. They never got him.
Glad you are safe. Clearly your 2015 did it's job and kept you safe. What a machine. And a white beauty. You will love your Gen 2 though. It's such a huge improvement in so many ways. All the very best to you and stay well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Replacement car is very nice. As to the old Volt, another one bites the dust.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think only a Volt owner understands the purpose of their car once they own it. I still can't make that leap to an all BEV yet. Too bad GM's own marketing team doesn't understand the purpose of this car and did not try hard enough to promote it.
The Volt is by far the tastiest sampler plate to an all electric vehicle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think only a Volt owner understands the purpose of their car once they own it. I still can't make that leap to an all BEV yet. Too bad GM's own marketing team doesn't understand the purpose of this car and did not try hard enough to promote it.
The Volt is by far the tastiest sampler plate to an all electric vehicle.
I think GM understands where the Volt fits but finds it too costly. It was (is) a great transition vehicle but I think it's time has passed. It's essentially two power trains in one with the costs, maintenance, and repairs of each one. At this point I think most people will go pure EV or not make the move to EV at all. I am approaching my third year of Volt ownership and with Bolt prices being the way they are I am having a difficult time not making the move to pure EV.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think GM understands where the Volt fits but finds it too costly. It was (is) a great transition vehicle but I think it's time has passed. It's essentially two power trains in one with the costs, maintenance, and repairs of each one. At this point I think most people will go pure EV or not make the move to EV at all. I am approaching my third year of Volt ownership and with Bolt prices being the way they are I am having a difficult time not making the move to pure EV.
....And millions of people that can't make the leap will be looking towards import and they will find a few. Gasoline and Diesel vehicles will be around for a while. I won't be giving my V8 Tahoe soon not until they can come up with 15 minutes charger that's good for 200 miles and will let me tow 8000 pounds at 60 MPH nonstop for 4 hours.

·
Registered
403 Posts
....And millions of people that can't make the leap will be looking towards import and they will find a few. Gasoline and Diesel vehicles will be around for a while. I won't be giving my V8 Tahoe soon not until they can come up with 15 minutes charger that's good for 200 miles and will let me tow 8000 pounds at 60 MPH nonstop for 4 hours.
IMO this is the single most challenging issue facing EV technology. Charge times need to come down significantly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
IMO this is the single most challenging issue facing EV technology. Charge times need to come down significantly.
How often do people really make trips beyond the range of a single full gas tank (or in this case, battery)? The overwhelming majority of usage seems adequately served by home charging. Sure, some people will sometimes want to make very long trips, so there needs to be charging infrastructure to support that. But it's a tiny fraction of actual usage (though enabling it will suck up a huge amount of resources).

·
Registered
403 Posts
How often do people really make trips beyond the range of a single full gas tank (or in this case, battery)? The overwhelming majority of usage seems adequately served by home charging. Sure, some people will sometimes want to make very long trips, so there needs to be charging infrastructure to support that. But it's a tiny fraction of actual usage (though enabling it will suck up a huge amount of resources).
I don't know. That said what I do know is your argument assume one has home charging available. I don't have a gas station in my garage but I can utilize an ICE vehicle because I can stop somewhere and get 400 - 500 miles range in 10 minutes. I can't do that with a pure EV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know. That said what I do know is your argument assume one has home charging available. I don't have a gas station in my garage but I can utilize an ICE vehicle because I can stop somewhere and get 400 - 500 miles range in 10 minutes. I can't do that with a pure EV.
I drove the white volt to Canada and back from sw Michigan using the hold feature at times. Still came back with 2/3 tank of gas and the ride was amazing. Sad to see this immaculate kept car rotting as salvage now. Insurance gave me $11,715 for it after deductible and I only owed 10,471. Plus I got 1/2 of my service contract fee back of $1000. Not a bad end to the day

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, some form of home charging is pretty critical for EV adoption, and for people who don't have garages or driveways, on-street or other EV charging options near their homes are critical. I suppose charging at work could go a long way toward substituting for that in many cases. Long road trips get a lot of the attention, and while the infrastructure to support those isn't irrelevant, it seems way less important than home (and possibly work) charging.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My friend has (I think) a 2013 in white. I like the exterior look of the first generation but I am not as enthusiastic about the interior, specifically the center stack. I have a 2018 and I've been very pleased with it. I definitely think it was worth the extra money for the second generation. Blue is a great color, one of my other vehicles is a similar color. Only thing I wish is that it was all a single color.

It sounds as if you purchased yours used? It looks to be an LT, any options?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes, some form of home charging is pretty critical for EV adoption, and for people who don't have garages or driveways, on-street or other EV charging options near their homes are critical. I suppose charging at work could go a long way toward substituting for that in many cases. Long road trips get a lot of the attention, and while the infrastructure to support those isn't irrelevant, it seems way less important than home (and possibly work) charging.
Charging at work could be helpful but it doesn't eliminate the slow charge time problem. I think the current range would be acceptable for the majority of people if the full range could be replenished in 5 - 10 minutes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The figures I remember for frequency of trip lengths is 98% of trips are under 100 miles and 99% are under 200 miles. That's for all vehicles. The distribution of who makes trips over 100 or 200 miles is always going to be small but there are always some who do. On the other hand, having another ICE vehicle around allows that capability but it is likely to sit a LOT. A great solution for some would be just to rent a car with range for the few times it would be an advantage. And save time and money over having a backup.

I'm having trouble keeping my battery up in an old sedan that is in very good shape but is not being used hardly at all. But, STILL, that's progress! That's good! But now having a Spark EV (used, cheap and in great shape) and a Bolt I feel a LOT of relief not having to do ANY maintainance anymore, and I've worked on machinery and vehicles most of my life and know how to do it. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate not doing it anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend has (I think) a 2013 in white. I like the exterior look of the first generation but I am not as enthusiastic about the interior, specifically the center stack. I have a 2018 and I've been very pleased with it. I definitely think it was worth the extra money for the second generation. Blue is a great color, one of my other vehicles is a similar color. Only thing I wish is that it was all a single color.

It sounds as if you purchased yours used? It looks to be an LT, any options?
Yes used, 24,000 miles. It came
With heated wheel, front and side passenger seat hear with the leather wheel and shifter covers, back up camera. My old one didn’t have CarPlay so this decent for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts