GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently on vacation my wife lost her key (we suspect it's at the bottom of the lake :mad:)
My car is a 2013. Called the dealer and the quote was insane.

However, I did find a fob from a 2014...will it work?

Appreciate any input, did a search of the site and came up empty handed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And as an afterthought, I really don't care if the replacement remote has the charge door button.
Would a remote from a Cruze work? They are a lot easier to find...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They should all be the same.
For 14/15 the charge port button has been repurposed to 'charge now'. Same key otherwise.
Presumably it sends the same signal, just car interprets it differently depending on the year.

From the outside they look identical.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I brought a third key fob online in the $30 range, followed the manual to program the fob and had a Chevy dealer cut the key for $10.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the price quote from the dealer?
I didn't pay much attention after I heard that there would be "about an hour of labor involved, plus cutting the key..."
But I do remember being quoted almost $100 for the key itself, plus labor, plus cutting the key. It was going to go North of $200 pretty quick.

I'll be buying a blank, programming it myself, and having a local locksmith cut it.

Of course I'm not at all surprised. The last time I was at the dealership to have my liftgate struts replaced, the service manager said "the only time we see you Volt owners is for recalls" (might be worth adding, it he said it with a snarl.)

They refuse to push the Volt because it doesn't generate $50 oil changes every other month.
So they try to make up the difference on keys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts