GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend was driving her 2017 Volt Premier with about 20,000 miles on it last week. Suddenly the car displayed a "Shift to Park" message and lost all propulsion power -- similar to some of the other threads on here. However, there was one difference from the other threads. When the problem happened, she turned the car off and back on, and then she regained the ability to drive -- but the gas engine started running even though she had lots of battery charge remaining and the check engine light turned on.

The next day, the car started driving normally again on battery power and the check engine light turned off. Since then the car seems to be working fine.

I'm worried about this issue happening again. My friend bought the Volt on my recommendation and I don't want her to get hurt if the car suddenly stops again while she's driving. At the same time, I'm guessing the Chevrolet dealership won't be able to do anything since the problem isn't happening right now. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The codes for the fault are still stored regardless of whether the check engine light is still on. Have her get it to a dealership for diagnosis. There have been TSBs for this problem so it may be a common issue.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
sounds almost like what happens when someone hits the start/stop button when they wanted the drive mode button on a gen one ?

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
You can try asking OnStar if they see any codes. The best time to do that is when the problem is manifest, but can't hurt to try now. If they do have codes, write them down and post here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are a few service bulletins out there concerning the "Shift To Park" error. One GM even classified as a recall and sent out letters to affected owners. Regardless, she should get to a dealer soon and let them look at it; that one in particular can cause the car to loose all power while driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my friend took her car to the Chevrolet dealership. They took a look and said that the inverter module needed to be reprogrammed. Does this sound legit? Could that actually have been the cause of the Shift to Park issue?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
So my friend took her car to the Chevrolet dealership. They took a look and said that the inverter module needed to be reprogrammed. Does this sound legit? Could that actually have been the cause of the Shift to Park issue?
I don't doubt it. The service technician probably was able to retrieve multiple error codes from the vehicle regarding the Shift To Park message. Reprogramming a module does not require replacing parts, should take less than 2 hours. If that fixes the issue your friend's Volt should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
even if a module has a newer firmware available some times (most times ? ) getting them to do it requires having a problem or a required engine code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts