GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool:

My wife normally drives a CTS-V.

More and more, she asks if the Volt is charged. Of course it is.

Once more, she takes the Volt instead of the Caddy. Nothing to do with Saving The Baby Seals, and she has a full tank in Cad.

I think she likes driving it more.

This is what will cause the EV market to take off. Fun to drive.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I think your V's days are numbered. I traded in my 2011 V coupe in on my Volt.

The red Volt is my wife's. So we now own TWO Volt's.

·
8,680 Posts
Funny how that works. Yours is far from the first case - it's actually a pretty regular theme around here.

You're not getting that one back from your spouse - it's probably time for you to start sizing up the EV landscape, and deciding which one you're going to buy yourself now. :)

(The most common choice has been a second Volt, but there are a bunch of Volt/Leaf couples on here, and at least one Volt/Spark I believe. More new options every day - maybe try to hold out for the Outlander PHEV?)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
His and Hers Volts are surprisingly common. Not a bad thing!

If you don't want to give up sizzling performance, you could always trade the CTS-V for a Tesla...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It happened to me. When I first started contemplating buying a Volt, it was to replace the car I was using for commuting to work at the time. After we bought the Volt, I decided the wife should drive it the days she had to take our son to preschool, as she would drive more miles than me on those days. I would drive it the 2 days of the week our son didn't have school. Then I started hearing comments such as "the GMC drives so boring" and "it doesn't have any power!". I just shrugged my shoulders at the time.

Then shortly after those comments were made, I was banished to the GMC Terrain, formerly known as our family car, M-F, as she didn't want to drive it at all. Guess that's what happens when people get used to driving an EV.

I would seriously consider trading in the GMC for another Volt, but we still need the Terrain for the times we have to haul the family AND a large payload, along with the times we actually need to transport 5 people. A EREV version of a Terrain/Equinox is on my wish list....

·
Registered
86 Posts
His and Hers Volts are surprisingly common. Not a bad thing!

If you don't want to give up sizzling performance, you could always trade the CTS-V for a Tesla...
And who do you think would end up driving the Tesla once the wife got to eventually drive it around?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
You sure didn't have that V very long.
yea about 6 months. I actually made out pretty well the deal, but with my track days over, I just couldn't see hauling 556 HP/550 TQ at 14 MPG just to look cool. That and it got tiresome being challenged by Mustangs and winged imports at every light.

We love our Volt's

and can see a Tesla in our future once they build out their SuperCharging network.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
As I've mentioned before, my partner works for GM as a field rep. He gets a company car since he's always on the road to do his job, and since he's Cadillac exclusive for the past couple of years it's always a Cadillac. His previous company car was a CTS-V coupe. That is a car I was lusting over when it was first shown at the Auto Show as a concept. But now after having the Volt, whenever I'd drive it I would think, "yes it's a nice car, and it's really fast, but I'd rather be driving the Volt." I certainly wouldn't trade my Volt for a CTS-V, even if they cost the same. And the CTS-V did have one really irritating aspect and that was its infotainment system, particularly the really awful nav system. Not only were the graphics primitive, but it often had the absolute wackiest ideas of how to route us (even though all the setting were checked and appeared correct.)

Now he's driving a new generation CTS V6 sedan. And that is an awesome car, really, through and through--all the positive magazine reviews and awards are well-deserved; but I still wouldn't trade my Volt for it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I sold my 07 CTS-V to buy my 2012 Volt. I wouldn't go back.

·
8,680 Posts
As I've mentioned before, my partner works for GM as a field rep. He gets a company car since he's always on the road to do his job, and since he's Cadillac exclusive for the past couple of years it's always a Cadillac. His previous company car was a CTS-V coupe.
Think he can parley his way into an ELR this year? That would be fun... :)

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Having just bought a Volt, i'd love to become a two Volt family if it were not for the payload-for-family-of-4-on-a-long-trip problem. Tesla would be awesome, but when you can buy 3+ Volts for the price of a Tesla it causes me to pause. Come on GM, get bolt a voltec to an equinox already.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
it's funny how there are so many similar stories. I originally bought the Leaf for myself. But my wife kept taking it all of the time, claiming it was to save money. However, I suspect that was only part of the reason. So eventually we got her a Volt. Of course now we sort of swap around so we spend about equal time in each car.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Workbench Furniture Table Desk Room
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet volt Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Cadillac sts-v
Bad pics:

1. Bought the Volt on a rainy day.
  2. Clipper Creek charger at work, 208v.
  3. Bosch PowerMax charging Volt.
  4. CTS-V gets to sit in front garage.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Think he can parley his way into an ELR this year? That would be fun... :)
I guess you mean for a company car? I suspect they'll be off the acceptable list, since they are limited production. But if it turns out that dealers can't move even the limited number of ELRs being produced, they may become fair company car game to help out a dealer (this is how dealers sometimes turn stale inventory, by getting a field rep to take it from them as a company car--basically GM buys it back from them.) My partner flips cars about every 6 months, so ask me around Spring of 2015.

BTW, when I got my first Volt, being in the GM family was no help at all. The car was deemed ineligible for employee or any other discount, and even the GM card miles were off limits. I got it all on my own using the promotional lease and have no regrets. The 2014 Volt I recently bought outright at the GM Employee price, which is a good deal but really no better and perhaps worse than I've sometimes seen reported here, especially from our west coast friends.

I don't know what ELR status is right now for employee purchase (eligible or not.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.