GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the loser of A123 and LG Chem/Compact Power bids would do with the intellectual property when one of them is not selected by GM for the Volt's pack suppler.

I know there's going to be some very stringent legal guidelines that require them to not disclose trade secrets and the like of GM, BUT we're all fooling ourselves if the loser is not going to take that knowledge and try to profit from it. For example, if I were the loser, I'd try to rework the pack and sell to the likes of Fisker or even Chrysler in their new E-Rev concepts. Thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Another thread presented a chart showing what types of techs which are being used by each auto company, and who the suppliers are. You can see if A123 has more than one customer.

Ultimately, I hope GM stays with both suppliers, at least for the first couple years, because production ramp-up is going to be steep for any one supplier to manage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Lutz already announced there would be only one, but I can't site the source. I tend to agree production is going to be difficult to keep pace with the numbers GM is throwing out there. Toyota has got to be taking notes.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I think Lutz already announced there would be only one, but I can't site the source. I tend to agree production is going to be difficult to keep pace with the numbers GM is throwing out there. Toyota has got to be taking notes.
GM has said both things in recent weeks - only one and keeping both - I hope that they are smart and keep both.

The good folks at Toyota have themselves bound up in a knot. Their visceral response to GM's Li-Ion serial hybrid plans have left them unmoving and flat footed. It seems they just don't know which way to go, except that they refuse to follow GM's lead - all the better for GM, but bad for the marketplace.

·
Banned
968 Posts
GM has said both things in recent weeks - only one and keeping both - I hope that they are smart and keep both.

The good folks at Toyota have themselves bound up in a knot. Their visceral response to GM's Li-Ion serial hybrid plans have left them unmoving and flat footed. It seems they just don't know which way to go, except that they refuse to follow GM's lead - all the better for GM, but bad for the marketplace.
Toyota has a very successful product and many happy customers. Where's their incentive to "follow GM's lead?" Why not just incrementally improve their own product?

For the matter of that, "GM's lead?" What lead?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Toyota has a very successful product and many happy customers. Where's their incentive to "follow GM's lead?" Why not just incrementally improve their own product?

For the matter of that, "GM's lead?" What lead?
The Prius configuration can't be efficient enough to help Toyota reach a fleet average of 35 mpg - they must go serial hybrid, electric or hydrogen.

GM's lead is in serial hybrid configs that can use li-ion battery packs with diesel, gasoline, fuel cell, etc. range extenders.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Prius configuration can't be efficient enough to help Toyota reach a fleet average of 35 mpg - they must go serial hybrid, electric or hydrogen.

GM's lead is in serial hybrid configs that can use li-ion battery packs with diesel, gasoline, fuel cell, etc. range extenders.
It's a good question. Judging by sales volume, the lead is clearly with Toyota, especially with the Prius. But it seems GM is rolling the dice on innovation, like the Americans once did.

·
Banned
968 Posts

The Prius reaches into the high 40's. The Camry achieves the high 30's. They're at 35mpg fleet average right there.

GM "leads" only in a public announcement that they will build a serial hybrid with a Li-Ion battery pack and a range extender.

Toyota put hybrids on the map. At a time when GM couldn't see the value in it. In the market, where it counts, GM is not "leading," GM is playing "catch up."

Or, if you prefer, "leap frog." Of course, in a game of "leap frog," the game only works if the other player holds still while you're leaping. Otherwise, if he jumps out of turn, you could get a bruise in an uncomfortable place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts