GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Still love'en my '17 Volt. But a week or two ago we had a couple blasts from that "Polar Vortex". Well, right at the end of that I started noticing a rattle noise that sounded like some loose pieces of sheet metal banging against each other. Very noticeable. So I start check the back seats and for anything loose. I quickly found the noise was coming from the right side of the rear hatch....whenever I shut the hatch you could the noise coming from there. I also then noticed the snap in trim piece below the trunk latch was cracked in two. eeeeee

Pics...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uilx2tzjxpf9fgl/AABxKZBiOrhZgtW8I0p5eFZaa?dl=0

Anyone else had this issue? I also have an issue of a banging noise coming from the front right shock area, this been going on for several months and the car has been into the dealers twice over it, dealer even contacted GM Engineering over it. We are going to try to fix that again when the temps warm up some (personally, I think its the FR shock itself....dealer had everything else apart up there...). Anyway, I m still a huge Volt fan, and my dealer doing their best I think. But these issues are "frustrating".

Jeff

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I’ve had an intermittent metallic squeak from the rear hatch. It seems like it comes from the area near the closure and near where the rear glass is. I pounded the plastic surround near the closing indent handle with a rubber mallet back up a bit and it silenced it for a while. It comes and goes depending on how cold it gets. I read you can fool with the rubber stops by turning them and for some that helps quiet it. Tried that but no effect. Not sure what else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 'clunk' in the back of our '19 with under 1000 miles when going over larger bumps. I had the tire kit out to look at it and suspected I didn't screw down the fastener tight enough. I haven't driven it lately as it's my wife's daily driver.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a 'clunk' in the back of our '19 with under 1000 miles when going over larger bumps. I had the tire kit out to look at it and suspected I didn't screw down the fastener tight enough. I haven't driven it lately as it's my wife's daily driver.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
If you still have the noise, try turning out the two hand adjustable rubber bump stops on the hatch. That worked for us when we had a rattle early on.

The hatch is large, and with that big piece of glass in it, has got to be pretty heavy. Any little body movement/twisting from a bump will cause a rattle unless those bump stops are pressing firmly against the hatch when closed. If it's too easy to shut, that is a sign the bump stops need to be adjusted.

It's probably pretty hit or miss, whether they were adjusted properly at the factory. Over time they may need to be periodically readjusted too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Apparently a number of '19s have missing spacers on the right rear tail light. Both mine any my wife's '19s were missing. When I stopped by our dealer a few weeks back and said that I have a hollow rattling noise coming from the back he instantly knew what it was as they fixed another customer's '19 a few days earlier. If you push on the taillight a bit you may see that the right one has more "give" than the left. He ordered up the spacers and put them in....

However, that didn't fix the issue completely (although it was better) I had to then play with the bumpers on the hatch to make any noise completely go away.

Also, there is a service bulletin apparently regarding the air pump pack under the carpet in the back. There is a metal screw sticking up through the middle of the pack and it can rattle against the pump. The fix is a small foam tube that the dealer also ordered up for me and it goes in the middle of the tool pack so the screw goes through it to prevent any contact with the air pump.

One of those 3 things are probably your culprit. Depending on when your '19 was built the taillight or tool kit thing may have already been fixed. Ours were both built in August '18 per the door sticker.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up on this, tuned out to be where the rear window defroster grid connects to car power cable I think. They had to replace entire rear window. Was told there was a Service Bulletin on this. The glue or something was coming apart. Noise started when we had really cold weather for a period, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Was a warranty fix, thankfully.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt and the big plastic piece on the inside of the hatch that goes all the way around the window works loose. It must be held on by some king of barbed gripper. It's a design flaw. The grippers should be stronger. It results in a rattling sound. It might sound metallic. Pounding the plastic used to reseat it. Pounding it no longer works because the plastic has been scraped inside the holes. If I had any gripe about the design of my Volt, that would be it. I think some screws would work better. A heavy piece of plastic that is repeatedly stressed by shutting the hatch needs a more secure attachment method.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt and the big plastic piece on the inside of the hatch that goes all the way around the window works loose. It must be held on by some king of barbed gripper. It's a design flaw. The grippers should be stronger. It results in a rattling sound. It might sound metallic. Pounding the plastic used to reseat it. Pounding it no longer works because the plastic has been scraped inside the holes. If I had any gripe about the design of my Volt, that would be it. I think some screws would work better. A heavy piece of plastic that is repeatedly stressed by shutting the hatch needs a more secure attachment method.
I'm wondering if the hatch flexes over bumps when the bump stops are not adjusted properly. If the hatch flexes, then perhaps the plastic piece will more likely flex and work loose.

The hatch should not be too easy to close, and the resistance against the bump stops needs to be even on both sides. Then perhaps the piece of plastic will not be stressed so much when shutting the hatch.

So far in 18 months on our 2018, with the bump stops adjusted accordingly, everything is solid and quiet back there. And we live in pothole headquarters, Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I finally had my rear clanging noise issue resolved. The key was that I discovered over the weekend that the noise is louder from outside the car than inside. Turned out to be covered by TSB 16-NA-316, which involves re-lubricating the rear axel and installing a rivet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to follow up on this, tuned out to be where the rear window defroster grid connects to car power cable I think. They had to replace entire rear window. Was told there was a Service Bulletin on this. The glue or something was coming apart. Noise started when we had really cold weather for a period, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Was a warranty fix, thankfully.
I know this is a couple years old but do you or anyone else know what service bulletin covers this fix? I have the same exact rattle narrowed down to this spot but can't find the bulletin anywhere for a rear hatch window replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update: clicking is gone with rear passenger seat down. Still can’t find the culprit but I suspect it’s the glass still. When the chassis flexes with rear seat up I think it transfers energy to the hatch area and it making the noise. I don’t think it’s the actual seat but it could be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had an intermittent metallic squeak from the rear hatch. It seems like it comes from the area near the closure and near where the rear glass is. I pounded the plastic surround near the closing indent handle with a rubber mallet back up a bit and it silenced it for a while. It comes and goes depending on how cold it gets. I read you can fool with the rubber stops by turning them and for some that helps quiet it. Tried that but no effect. Not sure what else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hate to be a late reply, but check the rear defrost strips on each side of the rear glass!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts