GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Volt has started loosing charge while parked. Yes it is off :). Never did this in the past. Seems to loose 10 miles of range in 8 hours or so. Now extreme weather here.

·
Administrator
20,113 Posts
It may simply be re-calibrating the range estimate. That, or the car is not totally turning off (something is awake) and it's actually using up the electricity.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The range estimate starts at 42, is 34 when parked at work, then 24 when go to leave. Next morning it is 42 again. I looked at it again today part way through the day and it is going down again. Seems like a drain. I turned the car off.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I lose about 2 to 3 miles of indicated range after sitting for 10 hours or so while I'm at work in 90+ degree temps. It's done that since new.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lose about 2 to 3 miles of indicated range after sitting for 10 hours or so while I'm at work in 90+ degree temps. It's done that since new.
Yea, I've seen that too. This is more and the temp is 65.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I fully charged my Volt 7 days ago, and the EV reading on the display was 60 miles. Today, it is still 60 miles after 7 days in my garage. Haven't driven the Volt because my LEAF covered all my driving needs. I have also observed stable EV range in the past after 7+ days without driving. I don't know if this is due to an improved battery chemistry or not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully charged my Volt 7 days ago, and the EV reading on the display was 60 miles. Today, ....
That has been my experience even on the 12. It would hold a charge when not driving pretty well.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't know if it applies to the 2012 or only 2013s but both my 2013s had the same problem. Lost anywhere from 3 to 10 miles. There was a software fix for them. See the PIC in my signature and do a search.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I parked my 2013 Volt for over two weeks at the airport for a trip to China. Came back to the exact same range.

When you drive back home does the range estimate still act strange? How many KWh's used does your display say? Have you run the battery down enough to run on gas in a while?

There was an issue a while back where some cars when running on electricity only for long periods of time would do some goofy things with regards to the state of charge. Some owners reported that GM told them to run the battery down till the gas engine comes on, fully charge and repeat a few times and this would reset the SOC algorithm.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The range estimate is sometimes all over the map with both my previous '13 Volt and '14 ELR.

In the morning it seems to remember it's 100F when it's only 72F and I get to work (20mi) having used about 12mi of range indicated with 28 left. Then it sits all day in the sun and I have 24mi range indicated but it only goes 14mi because it's now 109F and it remembers it was 72F earlier. I can easily use (lose?) 10mi of indicated range in 300 yards.

When the temperature is moderate, the range is indicated closer to my actual range. The largish 35+F temp swing seems to confuse the crap out of it.

·
Administrator
20,113 Posts
I fully charged my Volt 7 days ago, and the EV reading on the display was 60 miles. Today, it is still 60 miles after 7 days in my garage.
Plugged in or not plugged in?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Plugged in or not plugged in?
My Volt was unplugged after charge was completed. I have never left the Volt plugged for more than a few hours of charging in my garage. One reason is I don't like to step over the cable when I go in and out the side door of the garage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is me also on my '13 since I bought it 6 weeks ago, except it is always 2 miles lost. I get to work and park, and when I come out later it is down 2 miles. No additional kW are shown used and seems to be independent of temperature (it's been 45°F - 65°F in the morning when I arrive and 50°F - 85°F when I've left). I've even checked it after a few hours instead of waiting until the end of the work day, same 2 miles.

I was wondering if this was normal; sounds like it is, though definitely not as much as the OP is losing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I lose about 2 to 3 miles of indicated range after sitting for 10 hours or so while I'm at work in 90+ degree temps.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This is me also on my '13 since I bought it 6 weeks ago, except it is always 2 miles lost. I get to work and park, and when I come out later it is down 2 miles. No additional kW are shown used and seems to be independent of temperature (it's been 45°F - 65°F in the morning when I arrive and 50°F - 85°F when I've left). I've even checked it after a few hours instead of waiting until the end of the work day, same 2 miles.

I was wondering if this was normal; sounds like it is, though definitely not as much as the OP is losing.
2013s had a problem with losing range due to software update. See my earlier post in this thread and research PIC6138 in my signature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts