GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a proper HID projector retrofit into my Volt. I am currently deciding on whether to use Infinity FX projectors, or Acura TL projectors. I am hoping to find a used, can even be damaged headlight assembly to test fit each projector option into to determine which would work best. If anyone has any leads to a used/damaged headlight assembly, Please let me know.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just curious, but what is the issue you are having with the OEM projector lenses? I did a 55W HID retrofit, and the cutoff is apropriately placed, The spread is good, and I have not had a single vehicle bight me. I think the OEM projectors on the volt work well, and they keep the adjustable cutoff, so you have HID high beams too. For comparison, I have installed HIDs in the following vehicles, 2001 S10, 2006 ScionXB, 2010 Prius, 2012 Prius C and my 2013 Volt. I have also installed for friends in 2002 F150, 2003 Mazda Protege5, 2002 Grand Prix, 2004 Civic, and my Moms Kia Sorento. The Volt has the best lighting control of any of these vehicles.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nick, the FX or TL projector lenses are considered good lenses to use for retrofits, Josh is looking at the right direction in that regard.

That said, Josh, the lens on the Volt is practically clear (dimpled) and as optically clear as i can see. It projects even better than my old G, or those that had retrofitted the STi-R lenses on (clear). G's are fresnel.

I doubt you'll gain anything worthwhile by doing a retrofit of this extent. If you really want to go there, do something to space the aftermarket bulb out better, or do something to allow the Volt to use a D2S bulb.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good to know for future projects that the Infinity/Acura projectors are good to use in a retrofit. I have heard that most issues people have had with HID retrofits are related to the fact that they use a 9005/6 bulb and trim the tabs. If you get a retro that has the actual 9012 Headlight bulbs the fit is perfect. That is what I used.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Good to know for future projects that the Infinity/Acura projectors are good to use in a retrofit. I have heard that most issues people have had with HID retrofits are related to the fact that they use a 9005/6 bulb and trim the tabs. If you get a retro that has the actual 9012 Headlight bulbs the fit is perfect. That is what I used.
What kit did you use that came with the 9012 bulb? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a firm believer in HID retrofits. I've used plug & play kits on vehicles in the past with good results, and i'm sure the results are good in the factory Volt headlamps, but I like it to be absolutely proper. The FX and TL projectors are two of the best Bi-Xenon projectors out there. I plan to use clear lenses on the FX, or ZKW lenses on the TL.

I use to make and sell TSX retrofitted headlights for 2007-2009 Camry's, and have had many happy customers. See link: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/209401-attn-those-wanting-purchase-tsx-retros-gen6.html

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Personally I never cared for Bi-Xenons. Have you considered S2K projectors? I had both an actual S2K and a full retro on another car using S2K elements and they both had the best output/cutoff of anything I have seen first hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I never cared for Bi-Xenons. Have you considered S2K projectors? I had both an actual S2K and a full retro on another car using S2K elements and they both had the best output/cutoff of anything I have seen first hand.
Then i would have no high beam....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Even the Mini H1 with theXB35 is much better than the Volt OE projectors with an HID. So either will be great if you can fit them. I had great luck with the FX-R as well.

We have a 2013 RDX and the OEM HIDs in it are much better than my Volt with a Morimoto kit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do any of these retro fits light up the side vision on the VOLT which stock is nonexistent, especially in the country. For some reason, my Silverado has incredible side lighting and the Chev cargo vans are as bad as the VOLT.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do any of these retro fits light up the side vision on the VOLT which stock is nonexistent, especially in the country. For some reason, my Silverado has incredible side lighting and the Chev cargo vans are as bad as the VOLT.
Depends on the projector as some have a lot more width than others. The ones mentioned in this thread have MUCH more width than the Volt OE projectors. The intensity is much much higher too. It's hard for video to pick up the actual brightness but I guarantee it is much better than the Volt even with a good HID kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-TldbDeGpo&sns=em

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts