GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help locating a 2014 Cadillac ELR. Optimal find would include a loaded ELR for 43-45K and be eligible for the Federal Rebate. A local car in Costa Mesa got away from me and was sold to a gentleman in Oregon. The car sold for 43.5K, loaded with ACC and 181 miles. Still eligible for rebate. Would love to find a similar deal. Would also consider a demo car with some miles on it if the dollar-cost was similar to the above deals.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
If you re willing to get a used one, I've seen some at $33-35k in my area with insanely few miles on them. It's not a bad deal compared to about $40k after tax credit for a new one. I've been lurking for weeks on cars.com, even though it's unlikely I'll be in the market for an ELR.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are 28 new 2014 ELRs listed on autotrader.com across the country... Ignore the price listed and start making calls or emails making offers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So can you explain to me - if I am to sell my 2014 ELR now (bought it last year) I would be the one to claim federal and state tax credit on it for the last year - even so it would be a while before I file my taxes?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
So can you explain to me - if I am to sell my 2014 ELR now (bought it last year) I would be the one to claim federal and state tax credit on it for the last year - even so it would be a while before I file my taxes?
It seems like you should be able to apply for the tax credit. You will have to check your state rules on whether there is some holding period. In CA, it turn out you have to own the car for 3 years or else you have to pro rate your refund and pay the state back.

The real question, though, it why in the world would you sell your Almost new ELR after owning it for a short time? I would hold a drive it forever if I bought one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have called a few dealers this last month. All they talk about is the massive price reduction and laugh when I tell them I want a lower price. I direct them to this forum and they all claim that its B.S. "Nobody is give those kind of prices"

If you guys find any leads I would appreciate it.

The silver ELR listed above on Cars.com come has a serial number "RM" I believe that has no ACC??

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know if I am a gentleman but I am the one who bought this ELR and am waiting for it to be trucked here. I know how you feel as the same thing happened to me. I thought I had the car and was giving a deposit when they emailed to let me know that another salesperson had already sold the car. Keep looking as that is half the fun.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Lots of ELR deals on ebay and cars.com when you look nationally.

Interesting math: the new 2016s are $67k plus $10k cash on the hood. So $57k, less $9k fed and CA cash = $48k (plus tax on 57k).

So in my mind a used 2014 with 10-20k miles, notably less power and old "ivy crest" badging (hey it's the little things) should be sub $40k all day long.

Looks like they are going for high 20's and low 30's at auction, putting them in the low-mid 30's on dealer lots. So still basically the price of 1.5-2 2014 Volts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking into BUYING a 2014 ELR that has sat on the dealer lot for nearly two years, is there some things I should be looking for? I did drive this car briefly two years ago. Found fit and finish OK per typical GM standards, as they are on the same line as volts, I think the work force should be ELR only when one comes down the line. Many that I have looked at have fit and finish issues along with wear and tear from sitting on dealer lot for two years outside. I assume the 12 volt battery would be shot and from my experience dealer's do not keep the big battery's charged. Would that be a problem? I am also concerned with the now press release through Automotive News that the ELR is now being discontinued after the 2016 runs, what about parts? Trim, most likely will be dropped. And have read that the Cadillac head cheese says they will no longer support the ELR after production stops. Where does that leave an owner with Cadillac specific CUE problems and hardware issues computer wise, and softwear updates will be not pursued. Any comments from you fans that say you love them and have no problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is said that they will stop building the ELR "if there is not enough interest " or the end of the run in 2018. Which ever comes first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And by law they have to keep parts on hand for 10yrs. That's why they gathered up all the original electric cars back in the 90's and scraped them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Places to buy New 14 ELRs

Check car gurus. There are some NEW 14 ELRs in NC plus one in Florida that I saw. Internet price was 43k to 46k. I found 3 in that part of the country that were under 50 miles and therefore new. So they would be in the high 30s after the rebate.

·
Registered
803 Posts
And by law they have to keep parts on hand for 10yrs. That's why they gathered up all the original electric cars back in the 90's and scraped them.
There is no such law in the USA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right you HiFlite,
IT'S A MYTH. thank you.

This is as close as it gets:
According to the FTC, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides rules on warranties for all consumer products, and in the automotive world it forces automakers that provide warranties to produce parts for the term of the vehicle warranty. In some cases this can be as short as 3 years after the sale of the last model. Once that term is up, they do not have any further obligations to the consumer. The entity providing the warranty can also choose to stop manufacturing parts before the warranty expires, but in that case they may be liable to replace the product or provide a refund.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The parts issue was one of the reasons we leased a '16.

That, the great deals they were giving on leases and the likelihood the car could be worth half it's sticker in three years.

Having said that, if we love it half as much at the end of the lease as we do now, we will probably buy it if we can get a decent price!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts