GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Volt for 2 weeks now loving every minute of it! I'm planning on upgrading the reverse light to LED and I'm looking for suggestions on which specific light you bought and where. Preferably on Amazon if you could.

Already have a Voltphone1 and Voltscreen happy with both of those!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also one for the light in the back of the car in the trunk area. I've heard that is a popular upgrade also.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's Gen2 info.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2218393#post2218393 is my experience swapping to LEDs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN1E50Q is the exact LED I got.

Here's a pic of what it looks like to my backup camera.

This was taken at 11:30 PM, backing from my concrete driveway into the asphalt street. I'm sitting in Reverse with my foot on the brake, for some reference with the red light visible on the street. You can see the white light is in a bit of a cone shape, crossing about at the edges of the first yellow distance line.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Assuming we're talking about a Generation 1 Volt, you can check out the "OHM-RIDE" anti incandescent project.

Specifically the LED I used for my reverse light was this one: 7440 LED Bulb - 45 SMD LED Tower - Wedge Retrofit I've been quite pleased with it.

NOTE: This is the best instructional video for swapping the reverse light that I've found. Some people would have you disassemble the whole rear bumper which is NOT necessary.

Even after I put an LED in the trunk light I still wasn't happy with it. I finally stuck a "tap light" on the underside of my deck lid which works well, but have been considering just running a strip LED light of some sort around the trunk lip and wiring it to come on with the interior light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed this for my reverse light https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGBTFEG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a long driveway with no lights I back up and it is very hard to get enough light from a reverse light to fully light up my driveway. It's way better than stock but I was hoping for more.

This will replace ALL interior lights and license plate to LED https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-10pcs-Bright-market/dp/B00OH0S5Y2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

·
Registered
143 Posts
heard many people are not satisfied with thier backup lights (even led ones). I installed this one from SBL and have been very happy with its output. heres one pic with the old headlights still in. SBL makes one even brighter (this one is 500lm) but i was concerned with fitment so I went with the smaller unit. It fits perfectly in the housing with no mods.

complete album with more pics HERE.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just ordered the brighter bulb at SBL (550 vs. 500 lumens). I guess I'll see how it fits and works and report back.
Id be really curious to compare the two for future prospective buyers. let me know how it works out for you and maybe we can both take photos a certain distance away from a wall or something. 50 lumens shouldnt be too crazy of a difference but the tower bulb is quite a bit bigger so you never know!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Id be really curious to compare the two for future prospective buyers. let me know how it works out for you and maybe we can both take photos a certain distance away from a wall or something. 50 lumens shouldnt be too crazy of a difference but the tower bulb is quite a bit bigger so you never know!
Following up on the Super Bright LED reverse bulb comparison.

The brightest 3157 LED at SBL (3157-xHP28-T-CAR) (550 Lumens) does fit and works well. MUCH better than stock (but could still be better). The bulb can also be ordered in 4100K natural white or 6500K cool white. I liked the natural white better, even at the cost of a few lumens.

Side by side:

The 3157-xHP28-T-CAR is 3.63mm longer than the 3157-x26-CBT-CAR, 15.62mm longer than the OEM, but still fit fine.
The 3157-xHP28-T-CAR is 50 lumens (10%) brighter than the 3157-x26-CBT-CAR, and 148 lumens (27%) brighter than the OEM.
The 3157-xHP28-T-CAR has a 4100K neutral white option (that I like) and a where the 3157-x26-CBT-CAR comes in 6500K cool white only.
The 3157-xHP28-T-CAR is not listed as CANBus compliant but is working well and not showing errors, so that's a good sign I hope.
The 3157-xHP28-T-CAR doesn't have the beefy heat syncs that the 3157-x26-CBT-CAR does -- but in reverse applications, I think that may not be need given the short periods of use.

Note: replacing the bulb took less than 5 minutes. Remove 6 screws then reach in and unhook the bulb. The video Irwin88 linked is spot on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts