GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, sometime ago I think I ran across a resource that showed me my Volt's historical monthly kWh usage, but I can't find any trace of it today; searching these forums, VoltStats and OnStar proved fruitless.

Could someone steer me to this resource (if it really exists!)?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
www.myvolt.com
www.myvolt.ca

But it's mostly useless data for me now - onstar charging data is very broken.
Yours may or may not be ok, it seems to be related to Canadian upgraded onstar units.
Not sure if the same hardware was used in '15s from the factory or not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
www.myvolt.com
www.myvolt.ca

But it's mostly useless data for me now - onstar charging data is very broken.
Yours may or may not be ok, it seems to be related to Canadian upgraded onstar units.
Not sure if the same hardware was used in '15s from the factory or not.
Thanks--that was it. Unfortunately, the data reported there quit sometime in last November! Too bad.

If I ever get around to it, I probably can get pretty close using electric miles data from VoltStats.net by downloading daily data in .csv format, and manipulate a spreadsheet to total monthly miles and applying my average kWh/mile value and calculate kWh per month.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you have OBD, you can get it from the car, but it resets every time the energy display resets so you need to be logging it regularly.

Onstar is supposed to wake the car regularly to transmit the data, but it has been broken for a long time on mine.
I've confirmed it is something relating to this as it records charging events when I remote start while still plugged in from the night before - i.e. the car is forced to wake up, has data, onstar module submits it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Someone posted a year or two ago to say the choice of web browser affected the success they had viewing their Volt’s data on the MyVolt website. I have found that I sometimes have better success there when using Firefox than when using Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you charge at a ChargePoint station, then you can always refer to on-going consumption stats through that web-site. https://na.chargepoint.com/home
All my charging to date has been off our PV system with a 240 V hookup; I've only bought 5 gallons of gas since new (July, 2016!). Pretty good PV day today--55.15 kWh @ 1500 hours!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
All my charging to date has been off our PV system with a 240 V hookup; I've only bought 5 gallons of gas since new (July, 2016!). Pretty good PV day today--55.15 kWh @ 1500 hours!
I assume you meant July 2015, and the low fuel use is very good. How many miles on your Volt and the fraction EV miles? What a change from the two large Ford pick up trucks you drove.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
:(
I assume you meant July 2015, and the low fuel use is very good. How many miles on your Volt and the fraction EV miles? What a change from the two large Ford pick up trucks you drove.
Correct, 2015! 3963 total miles, 3813 EV (96.2%). Still have the Ford trucks and use them mostly for farm stuff and pulling big trailers. The differences between the old diesel F250 and the 2011 F150 ecoboost are astounding! My Seat-o-Pantsometer tells me the Volt is quicker than the Ferrari off the line, and I am guessing it's pretty close to it on lateral acceleration (.83 G) as well! Then there's our dear departed Cessna Skylane . . . :(

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
:(
Correct, 2015! 3963 total miles, 3813 EV (96.2%). Still have the Ford trucks and use them mostly for farm stuff and pulling big trailers. The differences between the old diesel F250 and the 2011 F150 ecoboost are astounding! My Seat-o-Pantsometer tells me the Volt is quicker than the Ferrari off the line, and I am guessing it's pretty close to it on lateral acceleration (.83 G) as well! Then there's our dear departed Cessna Skylane . . . :(
Great results! Here are my data - 3880 total miles, 3546 EV (91.4%). Still have my 1997 Ford Ranger, which barely moves (about 39K miles), but used to haul our/children’s junk. Trips to San Francisco (84 miles RT to daughter’s home) up I-280 are the main reason for much of my fuel use when I can’t charge our Volt

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Until recently, I have been tracking and logging our PV system generation using my utility's "Green Button Data." But, the GBD software blew up with a recent update, my daily net generation information suddenly became unavailable, and the utility does not know when the vendor will fix the problem. I was already looking for a way to measure several discrete loads, like our hot tub, baseboard electric heat, water heater, irrigation pump, Volt charging, etc., and decided to take the plunge with a comprehensive monitoring system.

So, we bought from "The Energy Detective", their "TED Pro Home" system. We've got four discrete electric panels, so our complete system ran about $900, and we are very satisfied. I've attached a few pix of what we can now see of our system. The first is the "Dashboard" that gives the overall picture of the system; the second shows the Volt charging consumption; the third shows the PV generation (as minus values).

I had a master electrician from my PV vendor spend about a half-hour looking over my four panels, installing a few of the sensors, and giving me a few pointers; and did the rest myself. Not too bad a DIY project, although I decided not to personally try the method he demonstrated for telling whether a circuit was "hot," and if so whether 120V or 240V, by touching the live wires with his bare hand!

TED Dashboard.jpg Net Gen.jpg Volt kWh.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts