GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased this used 2012 volt about 3 months ago for what I thought was a great price.
86,000 miles, beautiful condition, always serviced, all recalls up to date and always garaged.
The car is in a beautiful condition.

Anyways, last Thu a reduced power message popped up when changing to the IC mode.
No issues up till this point.
Upon arrival home it would not let me recharge or restart. No power message and a Check engine light.

Tried all the usual tricks, 12v battery, checked coolant levels, tried to clear the CEL, tried to real battery cell voltages. No luck with any of this.

Had it towed to the local dealership for diagnosis.

Came back as 2 dead battery units, 3rd degraded and the 12v battery needed replacing. (That's only 2 years old)
Cost to repair $12,000

I declined.

I have decided to embark on replacing it myself.

I have a lift and extensive auto tools but have never worked on an EV before, so the fun begins.

I have sourced a 2014 volt with much lower miles and a good battery (Well it charges up)
This Volt was in a wreck, so will just use it for the battery then scrap the rest of the car.

Can I swap a 14 into a 12? I would assume so, they are both Gen 1 I think.

Is there a way to check the condition of the replacement battery before buying the whole car?
I assume I can just measure and compare the cell voltages.

Many thanks in advance for any help as I sort this out.
dead volt.jpg

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I believe the '11 and '12 model years used a battery with different chemistry. I don't think it will work.
Jaryd Carvell-> MY 11 + 12 use P1.4 chemistry, 12-14 use P1.5 chemistry and 15+ uses P1.7 chemistry from the factory. Battery chemistry P1.4 is not compatible with P1.5/P1.7 sections or P1.5/P1.7 vehicle software.

Reactions: Magnetchief

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jaryd Carvell-> MY 11 + 12 use P1.4 chemistry, 12-14 use P1.5 chemistry and 15+ uses P1.7 chemistry from the factory. Battery chemistry P1.4 is not compatible with P1.5/P1.7 sections or P1.5/P1.7 vehicle software.
I believe a complete battery replacement (not just a section or two) from a P1.5 to a 2011-2012 will work?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I believe a complete battery replacement (not just a section or two) from a P1.5 to a 2011-2012 will work?
You could call greentec and ask them. Telling them your thinking of getting the battery and swapping it.

wow you really lucked out.

did below before seeing your great news

you can get some idea of battery health by reading voltage levels with the mygreenvolt app. You also will need to get a decent scanner. Although some here have got the 25$ scanners to work. Several threads on this. The validity of these measurements has some debate
good video on replacemening battery up above in freq questions

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's great! But why are they covering it?
My 2011 Volt with 48k miles battery died, dealer said gm wouldn't help. can you advise me who you dealt with to arrange battery replacement? I have Been unable to get through customer service phone tree. Car is in great condition other than battery. service history is excellent.
I can’t explain it.
warranty expired last Dec. 90,000 miles.
but I’m not complaining.
My 2011 Volt with 48k miles battery died, dealer said gm wouldn't help. can you advise me who you dealt with to arrange battery replacement? I have Been unable to get through customer service phone tree. Car is in great condition other than battery. service history is excellent.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was dealt with by the Chevy service advisor.
I had no input apart from asking them to look into it.
I note your car is 2011. That’s a lot older than my Dec 2012 model.
Maybe your just too far out of warranty.

Sorry that I can be of no further help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts