GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Chevy EV Fellows,

I am new to this forum, and need help.
I am looking for a used Spark EV propulsion motor, for a project.
So far all Chevy dealers quote me a price of $11,765 for a new motor, which seems very high for a $25k car.

I searched web, ebay, called a few junk yards, but had no luck.
Wonder if anyone in this forum can point me a direction where to find a used motor?
Any info or comment will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Tell us a bit more about your project. Perhaps there is an alternate solution.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. Sparks are relatively new so the only way you'll find one is from a totaled car that someone (junk yard?) has bought from the insurance company. You might have more luck finding a Leaf motor since there are many many more of those on the road.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The integration of motor and transaxel might make a re-purpose difficult. A Siemens or other stand-alone motor used by EV DIYers could be a better bet.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The integration of motor and transaxel might make a re-purpose difficult. A Siemens or other stand-alone motor used by EV DIYers could be a better bet.
I know that it is better and easier to integrate the whole Spark EV powertrain that trying to build from scratch. The best he can do now is to buy the Spark EV Service Manual set at Helm, Inc for $200, which gives all the needed information, plus the location and dimensions between the mounting points. This will allow him to determine if the powertrain will fit in his project before buying one. Another step is to find a salvaged gas version of the Spark and take measurements from it. He will need both to fit the powertrain into his project. And if he sees problems, he hasn't lost much except the cost of the Service Manual set which can be resold.

The cabling and controller is the next fit, and finally the cables to the battery, if he will use the same Spark EV or build a new pack.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Technically speaking what you want is the 'Drive Unit'. You want the whole transaxle with the motor built into it, correct?
Whatever your project is, you should consider getting a complete Spark EV, used or wrecked.
That way you have all the components to build whatever EV dream you may have.
Or just start driving the little car and realize for all the work you want to do will not get you anything better.
Unless you have some sort of Lotus 7 like creation in mind that might weigh <2000 lbs , if you're lucky.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i know this is a chevy board, but do you just simply need a electric car motor?

you can find cheap salvaged volts & leafs, for under $5k these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts