GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a used volt 2012. Found one that looks decent but....

- Carfax - It did have a poor condition report on and auction (3 owners) first one lost lease other two were dealers I think
New- Tires, Alignment, brakes, oil change
They said it had a leaky valve gasket on motor which raised maybe a red flag.

I checked the mileage on it and it seems off. Its lifetime it averages 60 mpg. But on the last charge it only averaged 30 and if you take the battery part off the gas part was around 24 mpg. That seems low. Its 30-40 temp in the area and I think they have not charged it much meaning its been on gas. 155 miles of showing card.

So I am thinking maybe that oil gasket was a leak and maybe the oil went too low on previous owner.

Also they did not know why it once got a poor condition rating at an auction. They did have to redo the leather on a seat from a spill but it looks ok. 2 new front headlights, 1 side mirror. No accident.

Look at the miles see if I am reading this right.

Could that low MPG on gas (24.5) be due to short non battery trips from the dealer? They said the battery has not been charged in awhile.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That car has been in a accident. Why else would it need headlights replaced? Have you ran a carfax? Sounds like a mess of a car. If there is a valve cover leak it should be covered under the power train warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like a lot of red flags here. Lifetime average of 60 is consistent with mostly running on the engine. Mileage with this car definitely drops in the winter but 24 mpg is too low for the temperatures listed.

You don't mention the price but for me, this car would need a deep discount to take the risk.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
That car has been in a accident. Why else would it need headlights replaced?
My thought as well. My 2011 with 89k miles has original everything (except tires). The only reason to replace a side mirror is because the original was busted off. The stained seat: blood? ,"Holy Sh1T!!"?, something else?

Option 2: a very angry ex took it out on the car...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Run away! Run away! Take out a loan and purchase a certified used Volt. With trade-in, I only paid $12,000 for my 2013 Premium Volt with 10,000 miles and have paid-off the loan in less than two years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife drove it today and said it drove fine, the seats looked good. Who ever owned it was young as they had it pin stripped, added good rims (thus the wheel locks) added a sunroof (don't think volts have them do they?) New tires etc.

No accident reports on the car. Just that the owner had it pin stripped and wheel locks put on. But the current rims are factory and have no locks. So the owner must have taken the rims off and sold them and put the factory back on.

It would not let me post the images of the millage. Let me try now.

ttp://puu.sh/uYlw1/3fbc3267d1.jpg

ttp://puu.sh/uYly3/01d446f7a5.jpg

Maybe get it for 10,500 and not going to do a trade in, its for one of my kids first car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The low gas mpg could be someone starting the car to warm it up in cold temps (on gas) like they always have. When you say headlights were replaced, do you mean the whole housing or just the bulbs? 30 miles on last charge could be right, high speeds and/or max heat could easily take it to 30.

Lots of unknowns.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Look for a late 2014 with the larger battery and "hold mode". 2012 versions do not have these niceties.
2013 also has hold mode.

The low mileage could also be because the heat doesn't work and they ran the ICE to stay warm like I have to on my.
3 year old car with 40,000 miles with no heat. And it's a common problem with G1 cars so...

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much they are asking for the car. If it's $5k I might take a chance. If it's $15K then no way. I know another forum member who bought a used 2012 for $9K, other than a new set of tires, the car hasn't needed anything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thought as well. My 2011 with 89k miles has original everything (except tires). The only reason to replace a side mirror is because the original was busted off. The stained seat: blood? ,"Holy Sh1T!!"?, something else?

Option 2: a very angry ex took it out on the car...
LOL yea I thought the same, was this a gang banger car. Blood on the seat? Who owned it was a young guy no doubt. He had it pin stripped, new rims with locks, moon roof put in. and even whited out the yellow chevy emblem on the front. Then the car gets repoed and he smashes out the headlights (Just a guess)

It has all the features my kids wants, we looked at many others and they are the base model or missing GPS etc.

With that many miles on them I have noticed the volt drivers almost never do any maintance. Same tires (Bald) same breaks worn, etc. At least this one has new tires and breaks. It has been driven 17,000 miles on gas. At least what the computer says. And got 43 mpg over the life. But for some reason at the current dealer its getting 30mph (Or 24.5 pure gas) Which could be from taking 2 miles from dead cold starts trips every day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2013 also has hold mode.

The low mileage could also be because the heat doesn't work and they ran the ICE to stay warm like I have to on my.
3 year old car with 40,000 miles with no heat. And it's a common problem with G1 cars so...
Sorry I don't not understand this street slang ICE. I've driven 3 of them and they heated fine was not a bit cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it all depends on how much they are asking for the car. If it's $5k I might take a chance. If it's $15K then no way. I know another forum member who bought a used 2012 for $9K, other than a new set of tires, the car hasn't needed anything else.
Yea this one is 10k and already has new tires. I saw one for 9k but it needed breaks, tires etc. Tires are not FREE. All that was over a 1,000 easy so the 9k was really 10.4 K or so.

I'm a bottom line guy I add up all the stuff it needs too, I just don't say oh I get a deal it just needed tires, breaks, tranny because those things are not free.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Who knows? Nobody can read the needlessly blue font.
+ 1

I thought the blue/purple font was something on my end. My eyes strain tying to read it. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
It is? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry I don't not understand this street slang ICE. I've driven 3 of them and they heated fine was not a bit cold.
Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)

The Overused and geekified term started with the Prius crowd. ( I think)

I'm showing my age but (Engine) still works for me. I know the difference between Engines and Electric Motors

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It is? Please elaborate.

It's a seemingly widespread problem on 2013s and late 2012 and early 2014 volts. I've made a post yesterday and it has quite a few others of the same year and many dealers remark about it being a problem, typically the electric water pump or the coolant heater control module are the culprits.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts