GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Volt, I will likely have it shipped, purchase unseen since I don't want to drive down to pick it up, I'm waiting on the shipping quote. I've tried to buy 4 other volts in the past 3 days, the first one I was told was being sold to someone else as I spoke to them on the phone, the 2nd one was sold 2 minutes prior to my call. The 3rd was sold the day I inquired, but didn't get the call back until the next day and the 4th was found to have a bad battery. So I'm really not having a great streak of luck here. The current car I'm looking at has been at this sales place for almost half a year at least it looks like based on the attached repair form. They did a section 3 cell replacement and did the balancing recall.

I guess my question is I went into this thinking volts were super solid and the batteries lasted 150K-200K, from the research I've been doing I've found a lot of volts with battery issues at much earlier mileages and I just don't see the reliability I was expecting. The Voltec warranty on this one is still good until Mid October, but that doesn't buy me a lot of time. I had planned for this to be my daily driver (not that I drive daily) for the next several years and wanted to take it on long road trips. I usually keep cars 10+ years and run them into the ground, but seems like that may happen a lot earlier with a volt. Am I overly worried or are the problems I'm reading about as common as they appear?

Thanks for any input or advice. Car listing below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The invoice raises a question. From whom are you buying it? Devine Grace Auto or Jim Browne Chevrolet? Was it actually owned by DGA at the time of battery section replacement, or had they sold it to someone who immediately had problems and they couldn't repair? Was somebody driving this for last 6 mos and now, just before warranty expires, they decide to dump? I don't like buying a car with lots of question marks. If it is selling for $6K, that's one thing; if the price is $10K, that's entirely different. And, buying a car sight-unseen is almost always a horrible idea

For those of us with no major problems, the car is great. If you are one of those with a problem, the car sucks. Forums like this tend to get a lot of people who are encountering problems. But we don't know what the ratios are. There have been a few reports here of a section being replaced, and then, months later, the other section(s) would) went south. Maybe the seller would give a 12 month warranty on the whole battery . . . If not, I'd keep looking. There's a great car here in the classifieds, albeit a bit newer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response bentbiker. I'd be buying it from DGA, Jim Browne did the repair under warranty. Looks like it's had ~500 miles put on in the last 6 months, perhaps from test drives. it is selling for 7K, was originally priced at 10K. I agree buying unseen is not ideal. The PPRs and sudden loss of acceleration or forced pull overs seem to be more common than I would have expected. Seems like the ownership experience is mixed, but I guess that is the case with any car to some extent. I did look through the classifieds here a bit, I'll take another look. I really only like the styling of the 1st gen, I just have never been a fan of the 2nd gen appearance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I would keep looking. I also don't think the PPR and sudden loss of acceleration are a widespread problem. I did buy my 2011 sight unseen, but there were plenty of pictures online, it was from a Chevy dealer and it was sold as a certified used car with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. Had it shipped from the Chicago area to Phoenix and after owning it almost 6 years now, still an awesome car. Be patient, the right deal will come along. Took me almost 7 months to find the Gen 2 I wanted, son now has the 2011.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Volt, I will likely have it shipped, purchase unseen since I don't want to drive down to pick it up, I'm waiting on the shipping quote. I've tried to buy 4 other volts in the past 3 days, the first one I was told was being sold to someone else as I spoke to them on the phone, the 2nd one was sold 2 minutes prior to my call. The 3rd was sold the day I inquired, but didn't get the call back until the next day and the 4th was found to have a bad battery. So I'm really not having a great streak of luck here. The current car I'm looking at has been at this sales place for almost half a year at least it looks like based on the attached repair form. They did a section 3 cell replacement and did the balancing recall.

I guess my question is I went into this thinking volts were super solid and the batteries lasted 150K-200K, from the research I've been doing I've found a lot of volts with battery issues at much earlier mileages and I just don't see the reliability I was expecting. The Voltec warranty on this one is still good until Mid October, but that doesn't buy me a lot of time. I had planned for this to be my daily driver (not that I drive daily) for the next several years and wanted to take it on long road trips. I usually keep cars 10+ years and run them into the ground, but seems like that may happen a lot earlier with a volt. Am I overly worried or are the problems I'm reading about as common as they appear?

My most frustrating repairs were not due to unreliability, but actually a TSB which provided a battery coolant level sensor. Tech ****ed up the wiring harness and created 3 trips out of 1.

2nd trip replaced sensor itself, 3rd trip after same error on new sensor he finally acquiesced his craftsmanship may not have been the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get a 2015 Volt (better, first gen body style and interior) newer LTE OnStar (future proof!) or a 2016 ELR if budget allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
One other thing that can help tell the story(specifically how much the battery pack has been used?) on these cars is the lifetime MPG. The car I have was at 95 MPG "lifetime" when I bought it 2 years ago, with about 69,XXX total miles. I have added about 30,500 miles with the vast majority of those miles (approx. 29K) being all electric. The lifetime MPG is now at 196. Simply put, the higher the "lifetime" MPG number, the more the battery pack has been used during the total miles driven.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is your point, is higher battery pack usage better or worse? Personally, the higher the better. I would not touch a used Volt with low lifetime mileage, and they are out there. Some are driven like a standard hybrid and never even plugged in. My bottom limit would be around 75 mpg lifetime.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
One other thing that can help tell the story(specifically how much the battery pack has been used?) on these cars is the lifetime MPG. The car I have was at 95 MPG "lifetime" when I bought it 2 years ago, with about 69,XXX total miles. I have added about 30,500 miles with the vast majority of those miles (approx. 29K) being all electric. The lifetime MPG is now at 196. Simply put, the higher the "lifetime" MPG number, the more the battery pack has been used during the total miles driven.
Seems to me your numbers don’t add up unless you or a previous owner had the Lifetime MPG number showing on the center display reset and the displayed number is no longer reflecting the vehicle’s lifetime MPG...

odometer/lifetime MPG = lifetime gallons used

when you bought it: 69,000 miles/95 MPG = ~726 total gallons used in car’s lifetime

you added ~30,500 miles, so the odometer now reads ~100,000 miles. You say the MPG is now 196:
100,000/196 = ~510 total gallons used in car’s lifetime

726 total gallons used when you bought it, but only 510 total gallons used as of now???

If the ~31K miles you added were ALL electric and you have not used any gas since buying this car (we’ll pretend there were no FMMs in 2 years), then the lifetime gas used is still ~726 gallons, and the MPG should be:

100,000 miles/ 726 gallons = ~138 MPG

The gas you used to drive ~1,500 gas miles over the past 2 years would then reduce that lifetime MPG below 138 MPG. Perhaps the current reading is really ~136 MPG?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is your point, is higher battery pack usage better or worse? Personally, the higher the better. I would not touch a used Volt with low lifetime mileage, and they are out there. Some are driven like a standard hybrid and never even plugged in. My bottom limit would be around 75 mpg lifetime.
Where did I say a higher number or lower number for lifetime MPG is better than the other?? Simply trying to lend insight to perspective buyer of something to look for. Regardless of what the number is, it tells you something about how the car has been used. Would you want to know??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seems to me your numbers don’t add up unless you or a previous owner had the Lifetime MPG number showing on the center display reset and the displayed number is no longer reflecting the vehicle’s lifetime MPG...

odometer/lifetime MPG = lifetime gallons used

when you bought it: 69,000 miles/95 MPG = ~726 total gallons used in car’s lifetime

you added ~30,500 miles, so the odometer now reads ~100,000 miles. You say the MPG is now 196:
100,000/196 = ~510 total gallons used in car’s lifetime

726 total gallons used when you bought it, but only 510 total gallons used as of now???

If the ~31K miles you added were ALL electric and you have not used any gas since buying this car (we’ll pretend there were no FMMs in 2 years), then the lifetime gas used is still ~726 gallons, and the MPG should be:

100,000 miles/ 726 gallons = ~138 MPG

The gas you used to drive ~1,500 gas miles over the past 2 years would then reduce that lifetime MPG below 138 MPG. Perhaps the current reading is really ~136 MPG?
[/Q

Your calculations make sense, but I'm not trying to calculate it? I don't know what formula the car uses? I don't know if at some point something happened under previous ownership to affect the 95 number?? All I know is it was at 95 when I got the car and now it's at 197. I also am not trying to impress anyone? Simply trying to lend insight to a perspective buyer of something tells you about how much the battery pack was used.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where did I say a higher number or lower number for lifetime MPG is better than the other?? Simply trying to lend insight to perspective buyer of something to look for. Regardless of what the number is, it tells you something about how the car has been used. Would you want to know??
Let's see if I have this straight. You are very interested in the lifetime MPG, but not for any particular reason or purpose, you just want to know. You aren't saying that a higher number is better than a lower number.

Well, if that is the case, then I wouldn't want to know the lifetime MPG, any more than I would want to know the brand of high octane fuel the PO used, what insurance company he used or whether he once had a loan on the car. That is because I don't busy or burden myself with information that is useless to me. Of course, anyone is free to spend their time and energy as they wish, even doing pointless and useless things.

With respect to the point about your car's lifetime mileage. Wordptom has given you the opportunity to correct your statement about the display originally showing 95 lifetime mpg. I suggest you take it, if only to try to rescue any remaining credibility.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let's see if I have this straight. You are very interested in the lifetime MPG, but not for any particular reason or purpose, you just want to know. You aren't saying that a higher number is better than a lower number.

Well, if that is the case, then I wouldn't want to know the lifetime MPG, any more than I would want to know the brand of high octane fuel the PO used, what insurance company he used or whether he once had a loan on the car. That is because I don't busy or burden myself with information that is useless to me. Of course, anyone is free to spend their time and energy as they wish, even doing pointless and useless things.

With respect to the point about your car's lifetime mileage. Wordptom has given you the opportunity to correct your statement about the display originally showing 95 lifetime mpg. I suggest you take it, if only to try to rescue any remaining credibility.
Wow, I'm being called a liar over this??

The OP asked for feedback/advice about buying a 2013 Volt. I simply offered the idea of checking the lifetime MPG as a method of determining approximately how that particular car was used? Was it primarily powered by the gas engine/generator?? Or the battery pack?? If the car shows 40 MPG vs 140 MPG it might help me decide whether or not to buy that car? Did they keep the maintenance up? The battery pack does start to degrade on most of these cars at some point, it's good information to have. Is it not? I used my own experience with the car I have as an example. That's it!

My car when I bought it showed 95 lifetime MPG, now it's at 197. I damn sure wish I had a dated photo, but I don't.

Here is one showing the moment earlier this month when car hit 100K overall. The 30460 miles started about 3 days after I bought the car. Good Day.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Simply trying to lend insight to perspective buyer of something to look for. Regardless of what the number is, it tells you something about how the car has been used. Would you want to know??
Unfortunately, your response to my earlier posting was included within the quote of my response, not after it, so thread followers didn’t see it unless they expanded the quote. Indeed, your display is now showing 197 MPG. This new forum software is certainly a change from the previous version. Your response was:

"Your calculations make sense, but I'm not trying to calculate it? I don't know what formula the car uses? I don't know if at some point something happened under previous ownership to affect the 95 number?? All I know is it was at 95 when I got the car and now it's at 197. I also am not trying to impress anyone? Simply trying to lend insight to a perspective buyer of something tells you about how much the battery pack was used."

The formula is simple:
total miles driven / total fuel consumed = miles per unit of fuel consumed (MPG if fuel unit is one gallon)

If you know the lifetime MPG, the formula can also be used to calculate the vehicle’s total fuel consumption:
total miles driven / miles per unit of fuel consumed = total fuel consumed

The numbers you have provided provide inconsistent calculations. This suggests that at some time in the past, the center screen MPG display was reset to zero (think of it as a "trip C" meter that can be reset by a service department - and my understanding is there’s an app now that can do that). That would mean the current 197 MPG reading is based on an unknown number of miles since it was reset and an unknown total of gas used. The 197 MPG reading would thus be a misleading bit of information regarding how much your battery pack has been used.

I suggest this supports the idea that the MPG number is meaningless as a measurement of "fuel mileage" for a Volt, since the Volt can move down the road without using gas at all. For a Volt, use of that type of fuel is optional.

Some Volt owners living in areas of cold winters, for example, might choose to run the engine to heat the car in those cold months, rather than using electric heat. Some Volt owners drive to the freeway on battery, and then use a gas-powered generator to create the higher quantities of electricity used when driving at higher speeds, saving some of the power from the wall for the slower speed driving. I’m not sure if the MPG reading can be used by a prospective buyer to tell if the previous owner used a lot of Hold Mode in lieu of battery driving, or if the previous owner simply drove far enough to require using gas to extend the range.

I’m retired, and drive my 2012 Volt only ~10-15 miles per day around home. A neighbor with a similar Volt might carry
out a 40-mile round trip commute daily. If neither of us deplete the battery, then we both maintain the same MPG... but I use only a small portion of the battery pack (perhaps 20%-25% of full capacity at the top of the "usable window"), and the neighbor uses the full 65% of the full capacity (the usable window). Is one of us using more of the battery pack than the other? If the neighbor’s daily commute is just beyond battery range, that car will use gas during the week, whereas I do not. That’s Volt’s MPG will be lower than mine, even though it is using a full charge every day and my Volt is not. Would the prospective buyer think I’m using more of the battery pack than that Volt because my MPG is higher?

Some owners who buy a used Volt with a low MPG want to have the number reflect their driving, so they "reset" the MPG number via GM service department or OBD app. Possibly you are the third owner of this Volt, and the second owner had the MPG number reset, and that owner’s driving habits produced the 95 MPG seen when you bought the car.

IOW, the 95 MPG when you bought the car reflected the total miles driven by the car’s second owner / total gas used by the second owner. What’s missing is the total miles driven and gas used by the original owner. You’ve now driven the car an additional ~31K miles and have used ~42 gallons of gas for those ~1,500 gas miles.

Let’s speculate:
original owner: drove 47,800 miles, used 621 Gallons of gas, ~77 MPG, perhaps ~52% ev driving
Second owner thought 77 MPG too low, too hard to increase, so had the MPG reset to zero.
Second owner then drove 21,200 miles, achieved MPG of 95, so used ~223 gallons of gas, perhaps ~61% ev driving.
you: drove 31,000 miles, used 42 gallons of gas, and now have 197 MPG. If ~1,500 gas miles, then 29,500/31,000 = perhaps ~95% ev driving

So after the MPG was reset to zero, the car would have seen: 52,200 miles using ~265 gallons of gas = ~197 MPG

I suggest that because the lifetime MPG appears to have been reset at some point in time (perhaps the vehicle’s lifetime MPG is available if the car is registered on Voltstats.net), the 197 MPG currently being displayed tells a prospective buyer very little.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quoting, "Was it primarily powered by the gas engine/generator?? Or the battery pack?? If the car shows 40 MPG vs 140 MPG it might help me decide whether or not to buy that car? "

So is there a "better" or a "worse" MPG? Do you still assert that either one is acceptable, you just want to know how the car was used? Even if on the first car has 100,000 miles on the engine, and the second has a very low mileage engine?

It strains belief that you assert that it is important to know the lifetime MPG, but not view either extreme as better than the other. Or in your words, "Where did I say a higher number or lower number for lifetime MPG is better than the other?? "

·
Registered
19 Posts
I sold my badass Mercedes C63 and bought a 2011 sight unseen for a great price. 114k , 1st owner with lifetime MPG of 67.5. I can go 35-37 miles locally on flat land electric only. Gas engine does 40-45 mpg local as well. Roadtrips it eats the gas more I get maybe 37 mpg while going 70mph after electricity gone.

I've ran the hell out of it, put 8k miles on in 3 months. So far nothing has gone wrong except my 12v battery and key fob. It's fast off the line in L/Sport mode too. So far, awesome car with the mileage, and not much to replace! You really never have to worry about brakes as much as a normal car. Oil consumption is low. Just tires really. I love cars and so far the Chevy Volt has been a slam dunk decision for me.

Otherwise buy a Prius and run the crap out of that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just traded in my 2018 Premier which has low miles (I only used it to do my daily commute when I wasn't riding my motorcycles).
Autotrader - page unavailable

I loved the Volt for what it was, but I wanted a bit more 'power', so I gave up electric range and went with a PHEV Volvo S60 T8.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Moose:
Where are you located. I have a 2012 grey Volt with 58,000 miles in excellent condition including near new tires. I am the first and only owner. Car is in Napa, CA
Henry

·
Registered
6 Posts

Moose:
I have a 2012 grey Volt with 58,000 miles in excellent condition including near new tires. Where aer you located? I am in Napa,CA.
Henry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts