GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.....been lurking at least weekly for probably 2+ years or so. Finally getting to the point where its about time to replace my current commuter vehicle ('03 Corolla w/ 260k miles owned since new) and the Volt has been on the top of my list for a long time. I was going to buy a used Gen1 last year but decided to hold out until the Gen2 specs were released. Once that happened a, and started seeing real worl mileage numbers, I decided I was 100% holding out for a Gen2. My commute is about 56 miles each way, so the Gen2 should really put a dent in my monthly gas usage. Hoping to buy within the next month or so......but I'm patient and won't do it unless I get the deal I want. Anyway, great info on the site here. I've done a ton of reading and looking forward to poking around some more.

·
Registered
907 Posts
don't wait too long. when do the gen3 spec rumors start? :)
welcome!
Volt is a whole new world.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
don't wait too long. when do the gen3 spec rumors start? :)
welcome!
Volt is a whole new world.
They'll probably start when the TM3 actually starts to ship in quantities...;)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you must have the Generation 2, then wait for Certified Used model to avoid ludicrous losses due to depreciation.
Folks have to buy them new, so that eventually others can buy them used.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you must have the Generation 2, then wait for Certified Used model to avoid ludicrous losses due to depreciation.
Considering the OP had his last car for 13 years and 260K miles, I don't think depreciation losses on a new car are really going to matter much to him.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I desperately want to ditch this Corolla, so its happening sooner, rather than later. Its been an excellent and reliable vehicle, but I hate it on so many levels that I don't even know where to start. I don't want to wait another year searching out a CPO car. I also have something to trade in/sell that is paid off and worth about $17k. Between that, the tax incentives, and the gas savings, buying new is pretty damn affordable. Also, I don't care about depreciation.....I drive things until they are worth nothing but parts and scrap metal. For example.....a few of my past vehicles

Corolla 260k miles
BMW motorcycle 130k miles
BMW 325 ~300K miles (odometer didn't work for the final 2 years)
Subaru 250K miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome and that's amazing that you are able to hold to cars for that long. I am hoping for a 2015 Subaru WRX STI I have now and the 2017 Chevrolet Volt that I will be able to reach 100k without selling it, crashing it or breaking it. You are not that far from me. Amish country is mere minutes away from me when on route 340.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts