GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the wrap up of the Edmunds long term test on a 2011 Volt.http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/2011-chevrolet-volt-long-term-test-wrap-up.html Have not seen it posted before. It is pretty balanced and their results are pretty average. The two biggest quibble is their failure to explain what their electricity rate is (it's about five times mine) since that is the only way to put costs in perspective. Also they didn't understand that if they were going to use the ICE as much as they did they were they could have used regular gas, and not complain about the cost of premium.

·
4,881 Posts
Not a bad article. Someone with an account there should comment that the front air dam can be replaced with a shorter one if desired. Their review suggests that any Volt owner must live with constant scraping and there's no way out of it.

I personally do not have the shorter air dam, and only see scraping once in a great while. Since the flexible air dam is made to do that anyway, I don't worry much about it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow, they used 58kWh/100! That's some had driving.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Wow, they used 58kWh/100! That's some had driving.
Well that was the worst driving. My personal worst day was even worse with only 18 miles of range 71.5 kWh/100miles
(in CO we have some very steep grades and driving them at speed can eat that battery very fast. Even at low speed I've eaten 75% of my battery in 9 miles of travel at speeds < 40mph.

More import was that the article said

Observed Fuel Economy: Gasoline — 35.0 mpg; Electricity — 34.1 kWh/100 miles; Electric Range — 37.2 miles; Utility Factor — 42 percent electricity

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not a bad article. Someone with an account there should comment that the front air dam can be replaced with a shorter one if desired. Their review suggests that any Volt owner must live with constant scraping and there's no way out of it.
They know, they just chose not to mention it. I've been a commenter there since before I got my own Volt.

It was a more balanced review than I expected from Dan Edmunds, who's still convinced a Chevy engineer lied to him about the "engine drives the wheels" business rather than being evasive on the demands of management (it doesn't drive them directly, of course...).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Intresting and a fair review. The cool numbers are the re-sale. Only 5K depreciation, remove my gas savings and it will be about 3K for a year. Thats less than 250 a month, not to bad for a new car during the first year. :) Thats cheaper than a lease atleast in Illinois where you still have to pay the full taxes when you lease a car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
LOL, read the comments below the article from the haters. There are people that seem to be genuinely bent ouf of shape that this car even exists. Too bad for them that they cannot simply say "not my cup of tea" and move on.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
A couple of those guys are so jealous that they should have posted using a green font color to underscore their envy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is an OK review considering it has multiple errors regarding the Volt and its technologies. But at least its an improvement over the other reviews that I have read that are negative hit-pieces.

What really caught my attention was this comment by "Car Designer",
cardesigner says:

03:05 PM, 05/20/2012

I came up with the initial designs of many cars over the years. The Volt is one of my designs. It is not at its full potential, by a long shot.

In the years to come, I have many advances in store for this vehicle. First is a battery technology, to extend the electric only range. Only a few tests have been done with technology, at this time but the results are promising. You will also see the engine become more efficient as well.

There will be an option to upgrade Volts that have already been purchased though the dealership. So that people who have already bought a Volt won't miss out on all the new advances. This option is designed to improve fuel economy of the gas engine and includes battery technology I mentioned above. Keep in mind that this is years away and I give no promises that GM will OK all or some, of these technologies.

If the stuff mentioned above has not happened in two years time, just know that I have moved on to something else.

Anyways...I hope you enjoy you cars!

If this person is in fact the head designer then these potentially significant advances and making them backwards compatible could be very exciting.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't trust an anonymous poster. I could post the same thing. He hasn't demonstrated any knowledge of insider information that I couldn't just make up myself. And I'm sure that anyone in that position would be under heavy heavy NDAs. And wouldn't risk their job and potentially jail time or penalties by posting on some guy's review while alluding to his identity. In a manner specific enough that anyone of authority at GM that happened to read it would zero in on him, too.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I had the shorter airdam put in for free when I got my Volt. It comes off the truck without it anyway so they just put the shorter one upon arrival. Just have them order it a week before. Some dealers won't charge you the $40 for it, nor the labor they'd have to do anyway.

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting, and they drove it atypically compared to a regular driver who would do 60%+ electric.

Of note, after the battery "fix" the generator is much quieter. I actually thought it wasn't even on the other day it was that much quieter. I wonder if GM adjusted the RPM or something because it was noticeable before during city driving and now I have to strain to hear it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts