GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Volt that I am looking at (from a dealer) and from what I can tell from online pics, it's showing zero battery and I'm assuming that's because the dealership doesn't have it plugged in (I drove by to look at it the other day and there was no evidence of an extension cord, etc.). So are there any long term issues with the battery pack in these cars if they sit for weeks or months without being charged up?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Newer lithium-ion cell chemistry have a very long shelf life, because they have no chemical reaction going on inside when not in use. The old AA, AAA, C, and D cells, and even modern lead-acid cells will degrade even when not in use, hence the "shelf life" is short. I found a small Li-ion "bag" cell that was unused for over five years and it still had a 2.9 VDC charge on it. It recharged to 3.9 VDC and held it, too.

So any Chevy Volt (or Bolt EV) battery pack can withstand YEARS of unuse (or shelf life) if nothing is powered on.

Edit: Replace the 12VDC battery in the trunk of that Volt. It will go bad after months of unuse.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You have to remember there's at least 6 kW of power still in the battery even when the Battery icon reads ZERO. My 2011 was delivered to the dealer in Aug 2012 and I bought it on March 31st 2012. I didn't' experience any issues with the battery.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There is a Volt that I am looking at (from a dealer) and from what I can tell from online pics, it's showing zero battery and I'm assuming that's because the dealership doesn't have it plugged in (I drove by to look at it the other day and there was no evidence of an extension cord, etc.). So are there any long term issues with the battery pack in these cars if they sit for weeks or months without being charged up?
Nope.
Some cars are never charged.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That is not a problem. There are some Volts that have been operated for years while rarely being charged and typically left discharged. Fully discharging a lithium battery is bad for it, but the Volt never lets the battery charge get too low. It always keeps a reserve of about 15%. It is fine to store a lithium battery at that state of charge.

The main thing you have to be aware of when leaving the Volt unused is whether the 12 Volt battery will go flat, just like any other car. Turning on the car every few weeks should keep the 12V battery alive.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You have to remember there's at least 6 kW of power still in the battery even when the Battery icon reads ZERO. My 2011 was delivered to the dealer in Aug 2012 and I bought it on March 31st 2012. I didn't' experience any issues with the battery.
I think there is 3 kw down below the 10kw usable and 3 kw above it. or some mix like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine was parked on the lot for almost two years with little to no use; no noticeable degradation in battery capacity or other issues. If the warranty hasn't been activated on it yet, you will still have that as reassurance.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
There are additional suggestions in this thread.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?244426

KNS

·
Registered
767 Posts
The main thing you have to be aware of when leaving the Volt unused is whether the 12 Volt battery will go flat, just like any other car. Turning on the car every few weeks should keep the 12V battery alive.
This. And it's a common problem with all hybrids, partly because of the smaller batteries.

If this is last years model or if you go out for a test drive and they have to jump it to get it going, you should insist on a new battery when and if you buy it.

Service departments are often not to adept at identifying failing 12 V batteries. And that is not unique to GM/Volt either.

·
Registered
803 Posts
kW-hours gents, not kW. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone - I'm watching the price on it for now and to see if it moves anytime soon (price has already been dropped $200 since I looked at it a week ago). I used to sell cars, so I know I'm not really in the best situation right now. If they knocked about $3000 off the price, I may have a chance given my trade ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Long term issues with sitting could be deep vein thrombosis.
Oh, nevermind. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts