GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else use their volt for long distance commuting?

I drive 134 kms or more daily and just curious to see what others are getting for mileage. I burn gas daily, my first tank of gas was almost 1800 kms. I do mostly Hwy driving.

Before I use to dread traffic with my Ram 1500 but with the Volt, "bring it on"

My Ram Hemi was costing me $550/monthly to do the same drive, looks like the volt will do it for $60 plus electricity. Even my 09' Hyundai Accent would only get 500 kms per tank (30L).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gen I Volt

I drive 80 miles a day with no charging at work and mostly highway driving. Because its Los Angeles, you have to drive fairly fast since 55 mph will get you honked at or plenty of bad looks. I average 70 - 75 mph.

Usually I get 30 - 40 miles on the battery and 30 - 35 mpg on the gas.

I think my blended MPG is somewhere between 65 and 70 mpg.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I drive 50 miles each way to work but can charge at work. My 2011 now has well over 150k miles and still going strong Though now I also have a Bolt EV which gets most of the commutes now. My Volt beat the pants off my 2001 Honda Civic. I'd be at the gas station about 3 times per week. With the Volt it was about once every 10 days or so. One summer I went 2 months not visiting the gas station. I was pretty good at getting 45+ miles on battery when the temps were good as my commute is about 50% back roads and the highway traffic moving at 30-40 mph in some parts. FYI I still regularly get 42-44 ev miles on my 2011 Volt in the summer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
At my old job I was commuting 100 miles round-trip including lunch 2 or 3 times a week. I usually got about 45 MPG in CS mode, and about a 140-150 MPG daily average. I only had to fill up every couple weeks.

At my new job, I'm driving about a 50-60 mile round trip Mon-Fri depending on where I go for lunch, and I'm going on a month without refueling (although I took a road trip to Indiana a couple weeks ago and had to use a considerable amount of fuel for that, and I'll be going to Wisconsin this weekend).

In a normal month without road trips, I'm sure I could go well over 2000 miles on a single tank.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
fifty five mile round trip here, 2017 Volt. daily I end with ten plus miles range left. Mine is a mix of highway and two lane roads, none of the highway is interstate so max speeds is 65 during which I am over the 55 limit.

haven't bought gas since I paid for the car in March. Georgia weather has been very nice. Trying to decide when I should start forcing it to burn gas because I eventually will run into the Fuel maintenance mode. I figure if I do it on the drive in it would be better, then I won't park a hot car in my garage at home

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving a Prius before leasing a volt, and though the gas mileage on the Prius was amazing (I was averaging about 60mpg daily), it cannot compare to the Volt.

My daily commute is about 50 miles round trip. I leave my house at about 20-25 miles on battery. Get on the freeway and let the volt run on Hold mode for about 5-10 miles, then once traffic starts I change back to Normal mode. Once I get to work, I charge up the car via 120 volt @ 12amps; also I take my lunch break at the local ParkNRide (less than 5 minutes) away and charge at a Level 2 charger for about an hour. At the end of the day, I usually have about 45+ miles on battery. Traffic going back home is pretty bad, so I drive side-streets on Normal mode, and with the speed being less than 45mph and using the regen paddle (don't like using L), I can arrive at home and still have about 20-25 miles on battery. Then start it all over again the next day.
Most I've gotten on a full tank was 1062.2 miles; gassed up 7.39 gallons (so I could've driven it longer).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cooler weather :(

Attachments

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I commute to two separate destinations that are each 60 miles round trip. The driving is 80% highway at 60 - 65 mph and the rest is local driving between 30 - 45 mph. This summer I was able to complete this 60 mile round trip, one time, entirely on battery without any recharging. I was running on whatever passes for EV fumes the last half mile of the return trip. I made it home on the battery but I estimate I would have gone perhaps only another .25 mile but no further before the gas engine would have started. Usually I like to leave myself a 3-4 mile EV buffer for the return trip.

The best way to maximize EV range and gas range is to slow down. Hold your highway speed to less than 65mph. Minimize the use of electric heat. I use the heated seats and steering wheel in cold weather much more than the Volt's electric heat (unless I am plugged in and preconditioning.) I use AC in summer to stay comfortable knowing that AC typically uses 4 to 8% of the battery.

In winter I typically lose 10 - 15 miles of EV range so if I do not plug in at work, something I recently discovered I can do for free at one of the two destinations, then I need to use the gas engine for part of the trip. I end up using perhaps 1 quart of fuel plus the full battery charge to cover ~60 miles.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's not really a fair fight but I went from a 2011 Dodge Journey which got about 20mpg to the 2017 Volt. Driving the 1400 or so miles a month I do, I used to have to fill the Journey up at least once a week at a cost of about $40 per fill. Now I put gas in the Volt maybe once a month and I pay about $12 so yeah - not much more to say than that.

On my longer trips (highway @ 70mph) I usually see about 40mpg with the Volt. I try to avoid using the EV range at highway speeds as that just kills it.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you want to see what a REAL long distance commuter is doing, go to https://www.voltstats.net/ and type in 2012-07353

I believe that his round trip is 220 miles.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was driving a Prius before leasing a volt, and though the gas mileage on the Prius was amazing (I was averaging about 60mpg daily), it cannot compare to the Volt.

My daily commute is about 50 miles round trip. I leave my house at about 20-25 miles on battery. Get on the freeway and let the volt run on Hold mode for about 5-10 miles, then once traffic starts I change back to Normal mode. Once I get to work, I charge up the car via 120 volt @ 12amps; also I take my lunch break at the local ParkNRide (less than 5 minutes) away and charge at a Level 2 charger for about an hour. At the end of the day, I usually have about 45+ miles on battery. Traffic going back home is pretty bad, so I drive side-streets on Normal mode, and with the speed being less than 45mph and using the regen paddle (don't like using L), I can arrive at home and still have about 20-25 miles on battery. Then start it all over again the next day.
Most I've gotten on a full tank was 1062.2 miles; gassed up 7.39 gallons (so I could've driven it longer).
It sounds like you are not charging at home at all... why not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like you are not charging at home at all... why not?
My dad likes to keep his Mercedes in the garage, and I have yet to buy a properly-rated outdoor extension cord.
I can probably get daily commute of nothing but battery if I am able to charge at home; but for now it works out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
69 miles! How can you possible do that?
I've seen my gen 2 estimate 68 miles before. Never seen my gen 1 go higher than 45. I've heard of some MY2015's estimate in the mid 50's.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've seen my gen 2 estimate 68 miles before. Never seen my gen 1 go higher than 45. I've heard of some MY2015's estimate in the mid 50's.
Last month my Gen 2 would always estimate 68, but I'd usually get 64-65. Now that the weather's getting cooler it's dropped to the low 50s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last month my Gen 2 would always estimate 68, but I'd usually get 64-65. Now that the weather's getting cooler it's dropped to the low 50s.
I'll weigh in:
My gen 2 peaked out in late summer with estimates of 75, and I was actually getting ~70. This was in suburban traffic (never exceeding 50mph), with outdoor temps in the 80s, and with the climate control system switched off

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I joined the fold in 2015 (1997 Jeep Cherokee to 2013 Volt) and haven't looked back as far as commuting is concerned.

I do 38 miles each way every day (76 miles total/122km)

The money I save over sucking down 38 gallons a week in my Jeep is STILL making my car payments :)

My commute is from 1470 ft to 950 ft which means I usually make it to work on a charge (unless weather sucks) and can -almost- make it home so I typically burn just a smidge of gas coming home every night. I'm averaging around 2000miles/tank of gas.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drive 57 miles each way and can charge at work (usually get about 38 miles during the day towards my return trip). I've had my Volt for a little over a year and I am sitting at about 34k miles and 74% all electric. I worked through a pretty extensive spread sheet comparing vehicles before I bought the Volt. It has exceeded every expectation I had for it.

Comparing to what it replaced ('03 Toyota Corolla with almost 300k miles on it), I am saving $200 a month just on gas alone. Plus its been over a year and I'm just about to change the oil for the first time.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
I drive 50 miles each way to work but can charge at work. My 2011 now has well over 150k miles and still going strong Though now I also have a Bolt EV which gets most of the commutes now. .
My 2011 Volt used to be used for the 60 mile round trip commute, now it's used for local trips under 40 miles or very long interstate trips. The 2017 Bolt is used for the 60 mile trips now.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I traded a HEMI Magnum for my Volt and subsequently my ELR. The gas savings easily paid for the difference in payments. Well, the ELR was kind of a stretch. :) But WELL worth it. ACC alone has helped my sanity tremendously.

Back OT. My commute is between 45 and 55mi with some additional driving after work for groceries and such. Overall average including several longish trips per year is 77mpg. Since my company implemented a 3-day at-work week and 2-days remote, my monthly mpg has popped significantly into the near 200 range. This is related to 5 days of driving including weekends as pretty much all electric.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts