GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 ACC Volt has been sitting awaiting shipment since it was made on 6/6/2016 according to GM Chat, Chevy just service and my dealer. No one can tell me why it hasn't shipped or when it will ship. The dealer says GM won't tell him either.

So the car has apparently been sitting for over a month with no end in sight.
This is in the context that ACC premier volts with essentially the same equipment are being made and quickly shipped all over the US including SoCal. There are ACC volts on the lots in at least some SoCal dealers. The VIN of the volt made for me is lower than almost any these Volts on the lots by thousands.

So how should I regard this?
My first thought was that it was just some messed up priority setting at GM and I've stuck by that for weeks while other cars were being made shipped and delivered. My car appears to be one of the earliest ACC volts made by the Vin and date of "production".
But now, with no indication of why the delay or when the car will ship, I can't help but think that there must be some major problem with the car.

Is this likely?
Should I just walk on this order to avoid getting this car?

Thanks for any insight that anyone may have on this sort of thing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine sat almost a month before shipment, too. Then, when the rail car arrived at the transfer point, it sat for two weeks before being loaded on a truck and delivered to the dealer. A total of 6 weeks before the dealer got it. Nothing was wrong with the car; it's been perfect. Just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've heard of two possible explanations that could account for this:

Quality hold - on some early rollouts of cars with certain features, it would sit fully ready to go, but on hold, just in case they found production issues in the coming weeks. Much easier/cheaper/safer to fix any possible issues before it's delivered.

If you are in a remote part of the country or using a dealer that's particularly low volume this would come into play. GM isn't going to load a single Volt on a rail car, just like a transportation company that deals in volume isn't going to pay an 18 wheeler to haul a single car to a remote area.

When I ordered my 2017 (no ACC) it was produced, and sent out on a train down to TX to one of the biggest volume dealers in the state, total transport time on the train and transport truck was maybe 4 or 5 days.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Volts may have long delay delivery times

I've heard of two possible explanations that could account for this:

Quality hold - on some early rollouts of cars with certain features, it would sit fully ready to go, but on hold, just in case they found production issues in the coming weeks. Much easier/cheaper/safer to fix any possible issues before it's delivered.

If you are in a remote part of the country or using a dealer that's particularly low volume this would come into play. GM isn't going to load a single Volt on a rail car, just like a transportation company that deals in volume isn't going to pay an 18 wheeler to haul a single car to a remote area.

When I ordered my 2017 (no ACC) it was produced, and sent out on a train down to TX to one of the biggest volume dealers in the state, total transport time on the train and transport truck was maybe 4 or 5 days.
I know waiting can be unbearable...... I have always wondered how they dealt with all those hundreds of thousands of cars they line up in the holding lots with active shipping going on and more cars coming out of the factory. It has to be mind boggling sometimes.

Throw in reasons to put certain cars on hold? sheesh.

Do Dealerships have priority?? I have heard of customer orders held back a month or more however my VOLT was built May 15, 2017 and I bought it at the dealer on June 1, 2017. This was a pre-ACC car so I'll just have to do without, but it sure sounds neat. lol.

I agree though, The car is just caught up in a hold session, maybe in a group of cars that will ship soon. Just try to hang in there and wait it out. Youre gonna love your VOLT.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts