GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the third time, my Volt has locked me out. The first two times were in my garage. Not a big deal. Today it happened when I was at a car wash. My wife had to drive 20 miles to bring the spare key to me. All times it is when I leave the FOB in the car. The phone app won't unlock it when this happens. Please don't barrage me with "you should never leave your FOB in the car". At the car wash I was never more than 10 feet away from the car. Several family members drive my car and not being able to leave the FOB when I park it in my locked garage is a major hassle (I live way out in the country, have a big dog. My truck hasn't had the key removed from the ignition in 10 years, No one bothers it).

I have gone through the car lock settings and disabled all the auto-locking features available and it still does it. FRUSTRATING.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
What year is your Volt (Your OP did not include this.) When I was in school, one summer, I had a job parking cars at a large pavilion. If it was an expensive vehicle or parked near the exit we would not leave the key in the vehicle. Our go to location for storing the key was on top of the left front tire. In your garage, couldn't you just hang the Volt's key fob on a hook?

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
We often see issues with cars that have no model year. Not sure why.

Low key fob battery?
Someone in your OnStar account messing with you?
The key fob button somehow getting pressed while in the car?

Since you are always very close to the car, you shown have seen when the doors locked. What was going on at that time?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Don't understand it myself. Key FOB on tray on steps by garage door when it's parked. When I'm on the go the key never leaves my pocket except to lock and unlock it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Always in my pocket and my wife keeps her FOB in her pocket or in the house. I have my 17 Volt set to auto lock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For the third time, my Volt has locked me out. The first two times were in my garage. Not a big deal. Today it happened when I was at a car wash. My wife had to drive 20 miles to bring the spare key to me. All times it is when I leave the FOB in the car. The phone app won't unlock it when this happens. Please don't barrage me with "you should never leave your FOB in the car". At the car wash I was never more than 10 feet away from the car. Several family members drive my car and not being able to leave the FOB when I park it in my locked garage is a major hassle (I live way out in the country, have a big dog. My truck hasn't had the key removed from the ignition in 10 years, No one bothers it).

I have gone through the car lock settings and disabled all the auto-locking features available and it still does it. FRUSTRATING.
I think there is one more step you need to do to disable the auto locking once you've disabled the options on the touchscreen. Open the drivers side door and keep it open, press and hold the unlock button on the door for several seconds until the car chimes three times. It should be disabled at this point. At least that's what worked for me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't think the auto lock is supposed to activate when the key is in the car. Maybe the fob is sending a stray lock signal. Sometimes fobs malfunction and send random signals. One of mine does that, so I took the battery out and now I use the other fob. Problem solved for me.

When mine was malfunctioning, I never left the fob in the car, so it never got locked in, but I would occasionally find my car locked when it shouldn't have been, or with the windows open or the panic alarm sounding.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think the bottom line is that this system was designed to have the key fob in one's pocket all the time. Taking it out creates entries to all sorts of situations that the computers aren't programmed for...

My wife and I have a similar issue. However, we keep a second key chain (normal keys) in our pockets or other places at all times.

There is a way you can get a conventional key cut so you can put it on a regular key chan and keep it as a secondary key to open the door if you accidentally lock the fob in. Would you be interested in this???

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Take a look at the vehicle passive door lock settings. Make sure they're off. To ensure this set them on, turn the car off and get out taking the fob with you. Wait for the car to lock. Then reenter and turn the setting off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The phone app won't unlock it when this happens.
I recently locked my keys in the back of my 2013 Volt, and I unlocked the car without issue using the phone app - which is good because my wife would not have been happy to drive 20 miles to the golf course to retrieve my keys from my golf bag.

By the way, I didn't think this was supposed to happen (locking with keys in car), and I don't know why it did, because it wasn't the first time I accidently left my keys in my golf bag and shut the lid. The prior times, I got a honk and the trunk lid released.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I recently locked my keys in the back of my 2013 Volt, and I unlocked the car without issue using the phone app - which is good because my wife would not have been happy to drive 20 miles to the golf course to retrieve my keys from my golf bag.

By the way, I didn't think this was supposed to happen (locking with keys in car), and I don't know why it did, because it wasn't the first time I accidently left my keys in my golf bag and shut the lid. The prior times, I got a honk and the trunk lid released.
Weak fob batteries???

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I have had the app time out trying to un-lock and it took 11-15 mins then it unlocked.
------------------
Others have reported that part of shut down cycle is to stop the car - close door and walk away some distance with the fob.

Then went you walk up to the volt is gets in a ready mode and a push of the door lock is a fast unlock.
(The screen may even light up as you walk up to th car on some volts)

Yo may have also noticed the extra delay when just opening the back hatch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does Chevy not have the feature that the doors will NOT lock when the FOB is inside the car? The last 4 cars I have owned have been that way but were all Korean or Japanese brands.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think there is one more step you need to do to disable the auto locking once you've disabled the options on the touchscreen. Open the drivers side door and keep it open, press and hold the unlock button on the door for several seconds until the car chimes three times. It should be disabled at this point. At least that's what worked for me. Hope that helps.
I will try that. I will also see if I can get a key cut. That might be a good idea. I will also start using the other FOB

The car is a 2018, about 6 months old, so I doubt it is any battery, I also doubt anyone is fooling with my app as I am the only one who has it on their phone. I have checked and rechecked the passive lock settings.

The idea of hanging the FOB on a hook sounds good, and I tried to implement that. But it doesn't work with my wife and daughter. More often, the FOB was still just left in the car. And I don't really wish to go through that battle of trying to train them to do something they think is stupid to have to do (I don't even disagree with them). I know if we start using the spare FOB, it will be a matter of time before it is misplaced.

Leaving the FOB in the car while in the garage works has worked well in the past. We left the FOB in our last car for years and have never had a problem. Whoever got in the car to drive it was set. But unfortunately Chevy is convinced that everyone in the world should be paranoid about their car getting ripped off. Not everyone lives in downtown L.A. I hate it when they create problems for some by solving problems for others.

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
The car is a 2018, about 6 months old, so I doubt it is any battery,
Is it better to assume the battery is not defective while chasing ghosts, or is it better to replace it (<$2) and definitely eliminate one possible cause? I'd want to eliminate one potential cause with a cheap and easy fix. YMMV

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Is it better to assume the battery is not defective while chasing ghosts, or is it better to replace it (<$2) and definitely eliminate one possible cause? I'd want to eliminate one potential cause with a cheap and easy fix. YMMV
I guess that that approach is just good old problem-solving technique...eliminate the obvious (as in, is the TV plugged in and is the outlet live).

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've been locked out twice at the same destination in the past month - Volt 2013 Australia - no Onstar in Australia.
I have found the cause .....
At this particular location on a hill, there is Radio Frequency Interference effecting the ability of the car to detect the key fob anywhere in the hatch area.
Yet it works outside perfect to allow you to open the hatch - go figure!
In testing at other locations, locked, deadlocked even triple locked left for 2 hours to "sleep" open hatch place the same key fob in hatch area, close lid and everything works perfectly = car honks and unlocks drivers door 100% reliable.

Drive car to my special hill location and locks keys in every time without even a honk.
What gets me is the Volt being a steel structure should limit outside interference, but clearly it is not working.
High tech convenience & high tech side effects LOL
Think I'll get a key cut and hide it somewhere as the costs of calling friends to help me is now wearing a tad thin every time I load the hatch along with key fob and close it :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts