GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only complaint I have about my 2012 Volt is......... I cant lock the glovebox. I know it is enormous but I like to put my checkbook in glovebox and leave my car unlocked. I got thinking maybe Chevy sells another car with the same "Lockable" glove box and I could buy one at a Junk yard. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Or do I just have to live with an unlockable glovebox. These 1st world problems!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The only complaint I have about my 2012 Volt is......... I cant lock the glovebox. I know it is enormous but I like to put my checkbook in glovebox and leave my car unlocked. I got thinking maybe Chevy sells another car with the same "Lockable" glove box and I could buy one at a Junk yard. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Or do I just have to live with an unlockable glovebox. These 1st world problems!
Just my opinion here, but a locked glove box, in an unlocked car, is just begging to be forced open. Lock the car, the door locks are a lot stronger than any glove box lock.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Now that's nuts to leave your car unlocked. As said the glove box is an easy open even if you had a lock on it. Lock the car. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would never leave a checkbook or credit card in a car, no matter where it's parked. The checkbook stays home and the credit card stays in the wallet.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
ecousin said:
like to put my checkbook in glovebox and leave my car unlocked
What is the purpose of a checkbook? Between electronic payment and debit card checkbooks are from another era ...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have two GM vehicles with lockable gloveboxes, but those boxes only hold the original owner manuals and other documentation that belong to the vehicle. Nothing else. As fo a checkbook, I use one but it stays at home for some payments by mail that don't accept credit cards. I pay cash or credit for everything else.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I like to put my checkbook in glovebox and leave my car unlocked. [

Where are you and what's you license plate number? ;)

I'm sort of surprised anybody would leave stuff like that in an unlocked car. What's your aversion to just locking the car? I'd think if the car is locked and easily grabbed stuff wasn't in plain view, odds are a thief would look elsewhere unless he wanted the whole car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Check books maybe from another era but a heck of a lot saver. Some times old is better than new. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I like to put my checkbook in glovebox and leave my car unlocked.
This cannot be real!

Who has a checkbook? And why leave the car unlocked when simply walking away from it with the fob locks it on it's own.

There is no way this real.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Check books maybe from another era but a heck of a lot saver. Some times old is better than new. Later aceinsp
Name, address, signature (on the check below the one ya just wrote), account number, bank name, routing number. Plus whatever useful info ya wrote in the register. Safe? Yeah right.

My bank even asked if I wanted my SSN printed on them! (I declined. )

Those bad boys are locked in the safe!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What is the purpose of a checkbook? Between electronic payment and debit card checkbooks are from another era ...
Many stores in Wisconsin and restaurants will not take anything other than cash or check.
Woodmans is like this.

This trend has been increasing over the last 7 years or so.

Since check can be validated on the spot it is much cheaper than credit or debit and has no return policy.
(yes debit fees can match credit for the retailer)
Also debit cards are of a much higher risk than credit or check, there is no reason to carry them since the cardholder is usually responsible for losses on debit.

A simple $5 reader will extract all of your purtenant information off your credit or debit card, everyone in the card holders industry sees your information everyday.

Plain and simple believing credit or debit cards are secure is foolish,

any clerk at any store can rip off your card in a few seconds.

Most fraud is internal or electronic and not from shredded paperwork or from stolen checks.

Far easier to safely rip off information from a secure location than to be bothered with trying to steal and actually use a physical object like a check.

Might as well suggest cash is more secure than a check
(it is in terms of your address but your address can be looked up publicly a million different ways anyway)

Ah well.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Many stores in Wisconsin and restaurants will not take anything other than cash or check.
Woodmans is like this.

This trend has been increasing over the last 7 years or so.

Since check can be validated on the spot it is much cheaper than credit or debit and has no return policy.
Phift. They wont get my money.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The city and the water utility take checks, I pay the other utilities and charge accounts online with my bank account. I use a credit card (which kicks me back cash) for everything else and if you don't want my card, you don't want my business. Nothing stays in the car.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The city and the water utility take checks, I pay the other utilities and charge accounts online with my bank account. I use a credit card (which kicks me back cash) for everything else and if you don't want my card, you don't want my business. Nothing stays in the car.
I pay all bills online. The bank cuts a hard check for accounts that don't do electronic transfer. I use checks for charities mostly.

It is very dangerous to keep this kind of stuff in a car. Even one that locks and arms itself. I know several people that had their identity stolen this way. Once that happens, it is very difficult to clean up. Heck, one of them had checks written directly by the thief and the stores took them without question.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I wonder if theres room in his glovebox for a checkbook with his Foghat and REO Speedwagons 8-Tracks in there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Haven't been to the GM Volt forums in a while, but some things never change...

Whenever someone here says "I want to do A", inevitably, rather than someone saying "Here's how you can do A", there's usually a large onslaught of people who are saying things like "Why would you want to do A, when you can do B?", or "Only a fool would do A", etc, etc. It's maddening. Stick to the subject people! The OP wants a locking glovebox. I can think of perfectly good reasons someone might want a locking glovebox, even if it is easy to force open.

1) It's a legal expectation of privacy. Let's say you are carrying a large amount of cash for whatever legitimate reason. If you get pulled over in many US Counties, that cash can be seized (stolen) from you without ANY evidence of a crime being committed, under the pretense that it *must* be drug-money, leaving YOU with the legal burden of recovering it. (look up the horrors of civil asset forfeiture) By keeping it in a *locked* compartment, the police require a specific warrant to unlock and search your glovebox in addition to the rest of the car.

2) It is one more thing to slow down a thief. It may not slow them much, but it might slow them down just enough for them to ignore it and move on to the next victim.

3) To block access to certain items from your kids, etc..

4) To leave the windows down and have at least *some* layer of security for a few valuables.

I could go on...

Sure, there are alternatives to all of these, but where else does one get a conveniently locking container that is securely attached to the vehicle's interior? Locking gloveboxes have been a feature in almost all cars for as long as I can remember. Why GM abandoned them here is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
My VWs didn't have lockable compartments and neither did my Prii, so it's not unique to GM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts