GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a L2 charger at home, and only charge with 110v at work, where I park in a basement parking lot that has no GPS signal. I tried setting the "HOME" location so it will save my 12A setting for work, but it won't set the location without GPS. So I went to the entrance of the garage where I could get signal, and set the location, but when I go into the garage, it still won't recognize that my last-known-good GPS fix was "HOME". So I'm back to the awful Gen1 behavior of having to set that goddamned 12A setting every time - now with an added warning!

Is location-based-charging essentially useless for anyone who can't get GPS signal at that very moment?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
This is similar to complaining about not being able to steer a car without a steering wheel.

You need GPS to initiate a HOME instruction.

Off the wall: are you able to input GPS coordinates by hand? If so, perhaps you can get the coordinates from Google Maps.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is similar to complaining about not being able to steer a car without a steering wheel.

You need GPS to initiate a HOME instruction.

Off the wall: are you able to input GPS coordinates by hand? If so, perhaps you can get the coordinates from Google Maps.
Even if you could manually put in the 'HOME' GPS coordinates, it probably wouldn't help. If there is no GPS signal at the 'HOME' position, the car won't know it's arrived there!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seems like a deficient design, most garages & indoors will have poor GPS signals (luckily my home garage gets GPS still), there should be another way to override, like recognizing the charger is still plugged in & powered, so save it to memory...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about: IF (LAST_GOOD_FIX == HOME_COORDS) THEN CHARGE_LOCATION = HOME

I guess that would mean that the GPS would have to be running the whole time. Hmm. That gives me an idea... Next time, I'll try pulling into the parking garage with Nav running, so that perhaps the GPS fix will still be at the entrance of the parking garage, which is HOME. I'll update this thread if it works.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had read someplace that most vehicle navigation systems have the ability to estimate their position during temporary GPS signal outages. By keeping track of distance and direction, the car can estimate where it is until it gets the GPS signal back.

I'll bet as you drive through the garage, the nav display is still updating your position and direction of travel. I would guess the problem is in the "setting home" algorithm that refuses to set home without a GPS signal. They should have allowed it with a warning that the code is using an estimated position instead of an exact position. That estimated position should be good enough for proximity charging.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: After setting "HOME" to be the parking garage entrance, it seems if I drive a *little* bit slower down through the underground lot, the car will switch to HOME and 12A just before "HOME" turns to "...". So I think caskConditionedAle (posted above) might be on to something. So far, it's worked three times, and the only common factor is driving a tad bit slower through the lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts