GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited a local Chevy dealership this weekend to test drive a Bolt EV. The word was there were no Bolts to test drive and none in the foreseeable future. The salesman tapped on a Camaro as we walked by it, which sort of pissed me off because I had made it clear why I was there.

Anyway, I just received this email from the sales manager:

"I know that your time is valuable so I'll just take a minute. Are you still looking to purchase or lease a new or a preowned vehicle?

If so, please present me with a challenge that I would need to overcome for you to take delivery of your next vehicle. It can be anything: price, trade-in value, payments, or perhaps you are now interested in a different vehicle. I promise I will do my best to exceed your expectations.
Please call me on my direct line listed below or email me back and I will personally work with you on the purchase of your vehicle.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to work with you. I look forward to your call. Also, if you are no longer in the market for a vehicle please let me know.

{{ real name redacted }}
Sales Manager"

My email response then was:

Hi {{ real name redacted }},

First of all, I already challenged you when I visited your showroom floor and you have failed to even be aware of the challenge.
I came in to test drive a Bolt EV, and there was not one in inventory to test drive.
There is your challenge.
Why is it that you fail to be aware of this?

When we visited the Toyota dealership 4 years ago to purchase a new vehicle, there was a person on staff who was a Prius Hybrid Champion who had passion for their Prius products and the hybrid sector, and knew the products well, and advocated for them with passion. I would suggest that your dealership needs an advocate for the Volt and Bolt and any future EV products that come down the pike from GM.

Also, there is a disruptive technology change in the EV sector that has already begun and is coming down the pike, and apparently you are totally oblivious to it.
And I am not talking about the 500,000 order reservations at Tesla. I am talking about the entire world that is making and selling cars and especially the Chinese.
GM is about to get its head handed to it in the U.S. if you don't get your crap together.
Why is it that you fail to be aware of this?

There {{real name redacted}} is your challenge.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
I understand your disappointment. And for every 1 of you (or me), there are likely 100 that buy a truck or SUV from that dealer.

Hating to make a wasted trip, I called the dealer first to make sure they had a Bolt to test drive. They did. The dealer I bought from were Volt and Bolt enthusiasts. The sales manager drove a Volt.

I would have simply challenged him to get me a Bolt to test drive.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The dealers that have Bolts in stock can be found via Chevys web site. Give them your business and ignore the rest.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The dealers that have Bolts in stock can be found via Chevys web site. Give them your business and ignore the rest.
Agree. I bought from a dealer invested in the Volt. They carry a lot of Them. The owner drives one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hating to make a wasted trip, I called the dealer first to make sure they had a Bolt to test drive.
I would have simply challenged him to get me a Bolt to test drive.
Driving their own products seems like a great idea.

The dealer website showed a single 2018 pre-owned Bolt in stock with about 300 miles on it which is why I stopped by to test drive it. The salesman said the car was 1000 miles away in Florida. I thought I messed up my search on the deal, so I apologized to him for doing so. But, now I am back at home, and checked it again, and there was no mistake on my part. I set the range of my search to 50 miles, and it says at the bottom to contact the local dealer to schedule a test drive. Their website was messed up. So I have another challenge for the sales manager which I just sent as an email to "Show accurate inventory listings"

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure where in the 'Midwest' you are, but you're luckier than me - When I wanted to test drive a Volt, none of the 4 dealerships nearest me sell or work on Volts or Bolts, let alone have any in stock. My 'local' dealer for warranty work on my car is 60 miles away and while they supposedly have a qualified tech to work on the car, they don't have any on the lot either. I flew 1,000 miles to Omaha to buy the car and drove it home

Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hear, hear!!!! Thank you for representing the level headed sector who wants a better world for our children. EV's will change the automobile landscape and those who do not adjust will be discarded.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Not sure where in the 'Midwest' you are, but you're luckier than me - When I wanted to test drive a Volt, none of the 4 dealerships nearest me sell or work on Volts or Bolts, let alone have any in stock. My 'local' dealer for warranty work on my car is 60 miles away and while they supposedly have a qualified tech to work on the car, they don't have any on the lot either. I flew 1,000 miles to Omaha to buy the car and drove it home.
I hear you, Don! As I mentioned in another thread, after doing extensive searches for a Bolt in my area, there were NONE in Louisiana! The nearest one was almost 300 miles away in Sugarland, TX. It seems that where technology is concerned, Louisiana is always about 10 years behind the rest of the country.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I hear you, Don! As I mentioned in another thread, after doing extensive searches for a Bolt in my area, there were NONE in Louisiana! The nearest one was almost 300 miles away in Sugarland, TX. It seems that where technology is concerned, Louisiana is always about 10 years behind the rest of the country.
Only need a flat bottom boat to get around those Cajun swamps. :p

·
Registered
513 Posts
There's plenty of non-swamp land in Baton Rouge . . . . so long as it's not raining that is :p

Don

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't know if this has changed, but dealers that wanted to sell the BOLT also had to invest in a fast charger. The smaller local dealership where I get my service didn't want to make that investment and were ineligible to sell BOLTs.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Don't know if this has changed, but dealers that wanted to sell the BOLT also had to invest in a fast charger. The smaller local dealership where I get my service didn't want to make that investment and were ineligible to sell BOLTs.
I thought this would be a minor issue. Bigger would be sending one, probably two (to cover each other off during sick days, vacation etc.) tech's away for training (however long that takes), loss of income they bring in while away, limited amount of money that would bring in. Local Chevy dealer doesn't have EV's but the towns on either side (37 miles away) do and I live on an Island. Years back I asked the Chrysler dealer if they sold the Fiat 500 and they said they had to train mechanics before they were allowed to sell them. A year or two later they did so who knows in a year or two or three the local Chevy dealer might sell EV's too. It all depends on the number of EV's being bought.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Around here, the Chevy dealers put in level 2 chargers, which are usually occupied by Leafs when I drive by.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Around here, the Chevy dealers put in level 2 chargers
Same here, dealers selling Bolts just use the L2 chargers they installed for the Volt. But, dealerships aren't gas stations either and DCFC installations are very expensive.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
All-Star Chevrolet sells no EV's and has no charging stations on site. Right down the road All-Star Nissan (owned by the same company) does. Go figure.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Same here, dealers selling Bolts just use the L2 chargers they installed for the Volt. But, dealerships aren't gas stations either and DCFC installations are very expensive.
My dealer has DCFC in the service area. My Bolt was plugged into it both times I had it in for a software update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah its clear that there is more money in gas guzzlers. If the government really wanted to increase adoption and technology they would make the efforts to make all cars be hybrid but you are going up against some powerful forces, ie gas, oil, car mnfg and even military. I was talking to the sales guy and he says that Volts might be discontinued.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was looking at EV sales figures by location recently and noticed the sales numbers were very large for EV's in the Silicon Valley area in terms of total numbers and percentage adoption. So I decided to pick a dealer at random in Silicon Valley to see how many Bolt EV's they had in stock. The one I picked was MOMENTUM CHEVROLET located at 3640 Stevens Creek Blvd, San Jose, CA 95117 Right now they have 39 Bolt EV's in stock and that is just one dealer. I saw other dealers had stock also, but didn't bother to count.

I have searched every single day within 250 miles of our area which includes Omaha, Kansas City and St. Louis since I started this thread 3 weeks ago and there has been zero Bolts available on the inventory search. I used https://www.chevrolet.com/ for the searches.

I will throw this one out there for speculation as to why you think this might be the case?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts