GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving north from Tacoma to Seattle, WA in stop and go traffic from an auto accident (sadly, there was someone on the ground in lane 3 with 5+ paramedics hovering, 3 lanes closed with all sorts of vehicles with lights blocking those lanes). In the far left lane I caught a glimpse of a Tesla that was too small to be an S and too short to be an X.

My first impression was that the rear end was uglier than the Hyundai right next to it. The Model 3 is goofily fat and tall, but skinny around the passenger shoulder/head area. It might take me some time to get used to, but my first impression of the Model S was that it was a gorgeous car (except for the goofy black fake grill - which they eventually removed), the X was a pudgy, shortened S, but is gorgeous for an SUV. I'm disliking the look of the model 3 more and more - maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was driving north from Tacoma to Seattle, WA in stop and go traffic from an auto accident (sadly, there was someone on the ground in lane 3 with 5+ paramedics hovering, 3 lanes closed with all sorts of vehicles with lights blocking those lanes). In the far left lane I caught a glimpse of a Tesla that was too small to be an S and too short to be an X.

My first impressions was that the rear end was uglier than the Hyundai right next to it. The Model 3 is goofily fat and tall, but skinny around the passenger shoulder/head area. It might take me some time to get used to, but my first impressions of the Model S was that it was a gorgeous car (except for the goofy black fake grill - which they eventually removed), the X was a pudgy, shortened S, but is gorgeous for an SUV. I'm disliking the look of the model 3 more and more - maybe that's just me.
It's not you. It's it. Just not a pretty car.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Not just you. I saw one last week too and I thought that the front snub nose was ugly. I thought that the rest of the car just looks small and cheap especially for a $55,000 car. That’s the kicker — if it was a $20,000 $25,000 car, I would give it a lot more leeway, but it’s not.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I've seen one in the wild also. I think it is a good looking car, very similar to the S. The only thing that stands out about it to me is the odd nose. But that is on the subtle side in person, so not a big deal. I really don't understand why they went with that nose. It seems out of place on the car and within the image of the entire brand.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I keep coming back to possibly ordering a Model S as I don't like the X or the 3. Alternatively, I continue to wait. I'd love to have a Roadster 2.0, which I think looks gorgeous, but I don't need the crazy Plaid mode. Why car manufacturers think we need to accelerate faster than light is beyond me. Most of the time, we're stuck in traffic, slowed down by traffic lights, and have no desire to break the law. Give me a Roadster 2.0 body with a model 3 dual motor non-performance drivetrain and smaller 300 mile battery and I'd be happy. Alternatively, make the small CUV look decent and cost around $40-50K and I'm in. Do anything weird like falcon wing doors, and I'm probably buying something else.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
We've got 2 M3's roaming the corn fields here in southern Illinois. In fact I'm seeing more Tesla's than Volt's lately. I work on a USAF base and I have counted 5 Tesla's on base. FTR I have seen one Bolt on these same roads, even though my local Chevy dealer has sold about 15 this year.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've got 2 M3's roaming the corn fields here in southern Illinois. In fact I'm seeing more Tesla's than Volt's lately. I work on a USAF base and I have counted 5 Tesla's on base. FTR I have seen one Bolt on these same roads, even though my local Chevy dealer has sold about 15 this year.
My M3 sighting was during vacation in Seattle, WA. I definitely see more Volts than Teslas where I work in east Central IL. There are a few Model X and S vehicles in town, but Volts and Leafs definitely outnumber Teslas on my commute, and I have yet to see an M3 in town. There is a lone BMW i8 that I've seen in the parking deck in another building across campus where I occasionally work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A buddy at work got one with that cool red metal-flake paint. Sure, it's unconventional but I think it looks great. I'd love to have one but my frugal side says no, keep driving the fully depreciated but perfect Volt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I saw my first M3 Sunday, getting off of the Edmonds ferry in Kingston, WA. It was white, and already had body damage on the rear drivers side door and onto the rear fender. And I thought I had it bad getting a big ol' rock chip on my windshield, two week into my 2012 Volt ownership.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw my first M3 Sunday, getting off of the Edmonds ferry in Kingston, WA. It was white, and already had body damage on the rear drivers side door and onto the rear fender. And I thought I had it bad getting a big ol' rock chip on my windshield, two week into my 2012 Volt ownership.
My first year of volt ownership involved 3 trips to the body shop, a new hood, repainting nearly everything in front of the rear doors, and a new windshield. It was the big guy upstairs' way of telling me I was stupid for taking out a car loan while I had cash sitting in an investment account. As soon as I wrote the check to eliminate the loan balance, the flying debris and kamikaze deer completely stopped damaging my volt.

The borrower is slave to the lender.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I saw this white M3 earlier this morning, I had a chance to speak to the owner. He told me that he reserved the vehicle on Day 1, having waited in line at the Tesla showroom, Tyson's Corner, VA. He received the car two weeks ago, already has taken the M3 on a road trip to northern NJ. The owner did not voice any complaints or issues but I did not ask. He said he really enjoyed using the Tesla Auto Steering (Autopilot) feature on the Washington Capital Beltway, especially in stop and go traffic.

Tesla provided him with a set carpeted floor mats for his Model 3 at no additional charge. I noted that the M3 had the Tesla stainless steel "Model 3" license plate frame. The owner said he did not purchase the license plate frame so it appears that Tesla provided it to him at no additional charge as well. (The stainless steel Model 3 license plate frame is a $40 accessory on the Tesla web site.)

I checked out the Tesla Mobile Charging Adapter (Level 1/2 portable EVSE.) The Mobile Charging Adapter did not appear to be weather sealed (there were vent slits on all 4 sides of the EVSE electronics package.) Also, there was no mounting provision on the Mobile Charging Adapter for permanently attaching the unit to a wall.

I learned that in addition to being able to save the settings for the driver's seat and steering wheel position you can program the M3 to automatically lower the driver's seat, move the steering wheel to make it easier to enter/exit the car.

Forgot to mention that the M3 had the standard wheels, the owner had removed the wheel covers. The M3 came with Michelin tires (I did not get a close enough look to see which Michelin model tire. [Updated - Based on the information available on ~rack these tires were Primacy MX4.]

TM3_White_01.jpg

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw this white M3 earlier this morning, I had a chance to speak to the owner. He told me that he reserved the vehicle on Day 1, having waited in line at the Tesla showroom, Tyson's Corner, VA. He received the car two weeks ago, already has taken the M3 on a road trip to northern NJ. The owner did not voice any complaints or issues but I did not ask. He said he really enjoyed using the Tesla Auto Steering (Autopilot) feature on the Washington Capital Beltway, especially in stop and go traffic. Tesla provided him with a set carpeted floor mats (no charge). I noted that the M3 had the Tesla stainless steel "Model 3" license plate frame. The owner said he did not purchase the license plate frame so it appears that Tesla provided it to him at no cost (the license plate frame is a $40 accessory on the Tesla web site.) I checked out the Tesla Mobile Adapter (Level 1/2 portable EVSE.) The Mobile Adapter does not appear to be weather sealed (there were vent slits on all 4 sides of the EVSE electronics package.) Also, there is no mounting provision on the Mobile Adapter for permanently attaching the unit to a wall.
View attachment 154170
I’m curious how the mobile EVSE does both L1 and L2. Does Tesla sell/give you pigtails to make it work at 240v?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I’m curious how the mobile EVSE does both L1 and L2. Does Tesla sell/give you pigtails to make it work at 240v?
Yes, Tesla provides both the NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 power plug pigtails with the Mobile Charging Adapter. Other power plug pigtail configurations are available for an additional charge ($35 each.) The owner of the M3 had purchased an additional 230V adapter (it looked like it was a 6-50 plug adapter) for charging at his workplace (he said at his workplace they provide just a couple of 230V outlets, no EVSE charging station.)

F

·
0 Posts
Never seen an M3. Only ever seen a an S and that was a number of years ago at a car show. I know of a number of Tesla charging stations but never have seen a car at one of them. Scarce as hen's teeth here.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Never seen an M3. Only ever seen a an S and that was a number of years ago at a car show. I know of a number of Tesla charging stations but never have seen a car at one of them. Scarce as hen's teeth here.
In the suburban MD and Northern VA areas the Model S has been a fairly common sight since 2014. Model X vehicles are about as common now as Model S. Model 3 is still new ( I have only seen 3 or 4) but now that I know how to distinguish a Model 3 from a Model S at a distance (no front grille on Model 3, no Tesla model badge on the rear of the Model 3, hockey stick shaped door handles) I can spot a Model 3 from the front view, as I did this white one, from 75 yards.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I see Teslas nearly every day and when I finally saw a 3 a few weeks ago, I decided it was not for me. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I saw my first Model 3, a red one, in Kailua, Hawaii yesterday.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
A buddy at work got one with that cool red metal-flake paint. Sure, it's unconventional but I think it looks great. I'd love to have one but my frugal side says no, keep driving the fully depreciated but perfect Volt.
All I've seen is a white S several times near where I live.

Glad to hear you liked the red one as that's the color I considered, but was concerned my '18 Volt was a better shade of red. In full disclosure, I've registered in the Tesla raffle for the AWD version, currently "Late 2018".

·
Registered
262 Posts
I see them all the time, and sometimes park next to one while charging at work. I've liked the look from the beginning, and as I'm seeing more like it better and better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts