GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've responded in you other post. But just as a note when the battery reads zero range it is nowhere near zero capacity. Even if you ran it all the way down to propulsion power reduced the battery still holds a significant charge (arround 15% minimum). So running the Volt up a hill just before charging should have zero impact on the ability to charge.

Keep in mind in a Volt with 16.5KWh capacity battery, only 10.8KWh is actually used for EV driving. The Volt keeps a large reserve to protect the battery.

·
8,680 Posts
Pretty sure the hill has nothing to do with it. We have members that live on top of hills, and lots of us routinely drive the battery to the bottom and then plug in with no issues.

As several folks on the other thread pointed out, the most likely explanation is that the power being fed to the car has issues - voltage sags/spikes, frequency issues.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I live a the base of a mountain and have never experienced the issues you describe. The last 1.5 miles to my house is all up hill (about 400 ft elevation rise). Although I have no idea why your problem has the inconsistencies you describe, my suggestion is to focus on the line voltage drops ... that's the real problem. Are your voltage drops momentary (second or two), if so they are most likely caused by a sudden heavy load such as a large motor turning on either at your residence or nearby. If this is the case there are devices which can be installed in your line to smooth out the drops and spikes. Most use a large capacitor(s) to systain voltage for a second or two. If the drops are longer then you have a different issue which most likely ties back to utility equipment issues.

You may also want to work with a different electrician. Moving a breaker from the bottom of the box to the top will make no difference, nor will changing a breaker from 30 amp to 35 amp for a line that draws less than 15 amps. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,453 Posts
If you can park near the residence, you might want to try plugging in to a non-GFI receptacle there. This will tell you whether the problem is just in the garage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is now occurring at two different homes, each at the top of the hill. I don't buy that it's a problem with my electrical supply because (1) it would have to be the same problem at two different homes located 90 miles apart; and (2) the problem is non-existent when I charge at any other time (except as I arrive from the 2 hour trip).

Dealer has replaced the cars charge receptacle but that did nothing. It goes in again next week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changing to non-GFI did not resolve the problem.

Switched one of my homes (new home also on a hill) and I now experience the problem in both houses. I don't buy an electric service problem because it would have to be occurring at both homes and I can easily and regularly charge at 12 amps at both homes, just not the day I arrive, after a 2 hour trip. By the way, different ESVEs in each home - so I've also ruled them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts