GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who have complained about Chevrolet's inept advertising campaigns on behalf of the Volt, it's time to take stock and be grateful that we aren't stuck with the agency running Lincoln's marketing.

Permit me to explain...

It was just a year ago that Ford Motor Company and Team Detroit at WPP announced the creation of new ad agency dedicated to reviving Ford’s troubled Lincoln brand. According to Ford, the new agency would formally open its doors for business January 1, 2012 in New York City.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ford-s-troubled-lincoln-brand-gets-a-new-ad-agency

During the summer, the band from a local high school had a charity event in conjunction with a local Ford dealer. By test driving a Lincoln, the school would receive $20.00. The sales guy who rode with me spent the entire test drive bad mouthing the Fisker Karma after I told him that I owned a Volt. He did not have an upbeat message about the Lincoln at all. I never received any follow up, which was fine.

So yesterday, I receive an expensive to mail, triangular shaped, shrink wrapped, 18-inch long box from Lincoln. The glossy exterior photo print paper box alone must have cost $20.00. I open the box:

Inside is a rolled 18-inch by 16-inch piece of thick acid free poster stock bearing a straight up photograph of a couple of indiscernable skyscrapers, nothing else. Nothing Lincoln. Nothing remotely recognizable. Getting Wee-urd-er by the moment...

An enclosed letter on glossy paper says,
"Accomplished commercial and fine art photographer Jason Madera was similary inspired when he saw the new MKZ with its panoramic glass roof. And when he pointed his camera skyward, he found an unexpected composition of interesting shapes..."
From my perspective it appears that Jason, in rather simply plagiarizing Neilson's well known exhibition of Manhatten (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120816/nolita/new-photo-exhibit-takes-straight-up-view-of-manhattan-skyline), has taken Lincoln to the cleaners.

I'm not a Ford guy, but had they sent me a Lincoln mousepad, they would have put a sales message in front of me every day, and saved themselves at least $40.00 per mailing.

Yes, Lincoln is indeed a troubled brand.

·
Registered
328 Posts
But! that $40.00 (your estimate) mailer got you, and maybe anyone else that got them, thinking and "talking" about the brand. Some people may actually decide they like what they see. Sounds like waay outside the box marketing to me.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As long as they keep making Fords into Lincolns they are going to continue to have problems. Some have suggested that the ELR is just a Cimarron version of the Volt. I reject that, but I have trouble seeing the value proposition of the MKZ as opposed to its Ford counterpart.

·
Registered
918 Posts
As long as they keep making Fords into Lincolns they are going to continue to have problems. Some have suggested that the ELR is just a Cimarron version of the Volt. I reject that, but I have trouble seeing the value proposition of the MKZ as opposed to its Ford counterpart.
Wow - someone dragged the Cimarron name back from the woodshed to trash the ELR? Someone really has an ax to grind with Cadillac.

James - sounds like this new ad agency for Lincoln is going for the "trees and rocks" campaign a la original Infiniti marketing effort. Maybe it will get more interest to the brand, maybe it won't.

Their current TV spots (Abe Lincoln walking out of the fog/mist, iconic Lincolns from the past, etc.) may or may not help the brand. It was odd for me when I first saw the commercial as I've NEVER associated Abraham Lincoln with Lincoln Motor Company...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hanging the ass-ugly front ends on the Lincolns can't help them either. Not as ugly as a Nissan, but pretty darn close.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Wow - someone dragged the Cimarron name back from the woodshed to trash the ELR? Someone really has an ax to grind with Cadillac.
Just to be clear, DonC was not trashing the ELR. However, Volt-haters will use anything at hand to bash away with. Do not expect reason or critical thinking from that crowd.

Regarding Lincoln ads, which of their models have those odd French doors, the MKZ? :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
In the early part of the millenium, Lincoln Division introduced the Lincoln LS and Cadillac introduced the CTS. Both were decent rear drive cars. Not perfect, but pretty darn good. Cadillac perservered with the CTS and it gave birth to a renaissance of the brand. Ford, on the other hand, became enamored with it's Jaguar and Aston Martin acquisitions and it let the LS die. Then, having to shed its flashy acquisitions, it was left with the long neglected Lincoln. And no rear wheel drive platform that is so essential to that class of automobile. They have a huge hole to dig themselves out of.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I've always liked Lincoln, especially the Continentals, but they took a dive at the end of the 70's when the last of the big whoppers got downsized. They never quite got back up, even with some of their most promising attempts.

I had the recent thought that Ford ought to buy out Tesla who currently has cashflow problems and probably will have them for a while. Buy them out, keep the key management and engineers and get things rolling along with Tesla giving Ford the prestige Lincoln cannot. I think the Lincoln brand is fated to be like the Acura brand is - close but never there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts