GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after looking into EV possibilities I think I'm going to go with the Volt. I've considered all the upgrades possible and I'm pretty sure I've nailed that down. Practically the only thing stopping me, and it's a big one, is picking exterior/interior colors.

For the exterior I have eliminated most of the colors:
Black, Gray, Brownstone, Red, White Diamond

This leaves Silver Ice, Ice Topaz, Summit White. Of the 6 cars I've owned 3 were blue so I'm not entirely sure about Ice Topaz. I've never had a Silver or White car so those are my top contenders. Silver looks sharp but I'm concerned I'll grow bored of it quickly since it's just "metal colored". White looks clean and bright but I wonder if, like Silver, it would become generic looking to me.

Anyone have any comments here?

From the start I've been intrigued with the Ceramic White accents on the interior. It gives a nice contrast with the black leather and it's not something you see everyday. However, when I went to the dealership I wasn't able to test drive the one Volt they had Ceramic White because it was low on charge and one of the tires was reporting low. The Dark accents looked very nice but it also kind of just blends and I'm very concerned about fingerprints/smudging. Although I still like it, I'm worried that the Ceramic White would be distracting or be just too "out there". I'm also concerned that the dealer only had 1 car with this option. Is this not popular?

Any comments on this?

Thanks for your help and input!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Colors are such a subjective thing as each person has their own reasons for liking what they do. In my opinion you've eliminated the three best colors from your lineup; black, red and gray. I personally went with cyber gray. It's classy and timeless. My second choice would have been silver ice, but my last car (2003 Mazda 6s) was silver and it was time for a change. I never got tired of the silver though and it always looked current. I also think the Volt carries the silver color very well. I saw one yesterday on the road and it looked sharp.

The white vs. dark interior accents is also a subjective choice. I felt the white was too stark against all the black of the interior and chose the dark. I haven't been disappointed either. It doesn't really show fingerprints, but it does show dust. It's also just slightly off from the black of the dash to add some interest.

Those are all my opinions though. Don't over think it, just go with what excites you. The Volt is an amazing car and keeps on surprising me every day.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not sure, but I think the ceramic inserts are no longer an option on 2014s, hope I am wrong. Our Volt is the Veridian Joule color and we like it a lot, this isn't available on 2014s also. I would probably choose the Topaz Ice Metallic now.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think gray is the best color but you have eliminated it. Choice is very subjective to the owner. Personally, I like the dark accents with dark center console.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have seen the Silver Topaz and it is a beautiful color, especially on a nice sunny day. It almost looks like silver metallic but has this subtle blueness to it. I think in the shade/overcast the blue comes through a little more.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So, after looking into EV possibilities I think I'm going to go with the Volt. I've considered all the upgrades possible and I'm pretty sure I've nailed that down. Practically the only thing stopping me, and it's a big one, is picking exterior/interior colors.

For the exterior I have eliminated most of the colors:
Black, Gray, Brownstone, Red, White Diamond

This leaves Silver Ice, Ice Topaz, Summit White. Of the 6 cars I've owned 3 were blue so I'm not entirely sure about Ice Topaz. I've never had a Silver or White car so those are my top contenders. Silver looks sharp but I'm concerned I'll grow bored of it quickly since it's just "metal colored". White looks clean and bright but I wonder if, like Silver, it would become generic looking to me.

Anyone have any comments here?

From the start I've been intrigued with the Ceramic White accents on the interior. It gives a nice contrast with the black leather and it's not something you see everyday. However, when I went to the dealership I wasn't able to test drive the one Volt they had Ceramic White because it was low on charge and one of the tires was reporting low. The Dark accents looked very nice but it also kind of just blends and I'm very concerned about fingerprints/smudging. Although I still like it, I'm worried that the Ceramic White would be distracting or be just too "out there". I'm also concerned that the dealer only had 1 car with this option. Is this not popular?

Any comments on this?

Thanks for your help and input!
It sounds like you and I have similar taste in car colors. I generally avoid plain silver because I see it as unpainted metal, just like grey resembles putty or primer to me. If I were to get a new Volt today, I'd either get summit white or Ice Topaz because Veridian Joule is discontinued (and even though I love it, I've already had it).

I think the Silver Topaz Metallic (light blue) looks great with the polished rims and pebble interior. They are relaxing beach colors. "Zen".

Summit White with black leather/ceramic and the Sport Alloy wheels w/black inserts is Sci-Fi looking. Maybe even "Stormtrooperesque".

FWIW: I don't have a problem with smudges on my pebble w/dark accents interior, but the ceramic does look cool in the white (and black) Volts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys! Thanks so much for your responses! A little more info...

Yes, I know color choice is subjective. I'm not really asking you guys to decide for me I'm asking your opinion so I can make up my mind based partly on your experience and opinions. I'm sorry if I didn't explain very will in my initial post.

Regarding the colors and why I eliminated them to give you more context:

Black: My current car is a Black 2010 Prius IV. Black is a great color but I currently have it and I want a change. Also, I've learned from having it that black shows up dirt and road dust like you wouldn't believe. Also, every single little scratch and chip shows. I probably wouldn't get a black car again.

Gray: My previous car was a gray. It looked great in the sun since it was a metallic type gray but in the shade it just looked "asphalt color" It's a good color, I just don't want another gray car anytime soon.

Brownstone: This was an interesting addition this year and I've never had a brown colored car. But I figured there's enough brown tones around my house that I didn't need it in my car as well.

Red: This happens to be my favorite color so it would be a natural. However, I've already had a red car in my past and was not thrilled with the way it looked in certain lighting conditions. If the red for the Volt was say, Candy Apple Red I think I'd be all over it. The Volt Red isn't bad, but it isn't great IMO. It certainly isn't worth spending extra money on.

White Diamond: I know this is very popular and I can see why people would like it. However, I've never been a fan of pearl and to me White Diamond is incorrectly named. It really looks more pearlized than diamond. If it were more diamond I probably would have considered it. Well, also if it wasn't more money.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If the red for the Volt was say, Candy Apple Red I think I'd be all over it.
That's exactly what Chevrolet's Crystal Red Metallic looks like in the sun. Here my Vette in CRM

Our 2012 Volt

And my 2011 CTS-V coupe along with our 2012 Volt

I've had more compliments on all my CRM cars. Check it out in the sun before you cross it off your list. And the CRM option on the Volt is a bargain at $495, on the Vette and V it costs $995.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly what Chevrolet's Crystal Red Metallic looks like in the sun.

I've had more compliments on all my CRM cars. Check it out in the sun before you cross it off your list. And the CRM option on the Volt is a bargain at $495, on the Vette and V it costs $995.
Yea, that Vette looks awesome! The Volt I saw at the dealership was a flatter red though. Maybe because it was a 2013?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That summit white will eventually look like a rental from Alamo.
LOL... yea, I've considered this. There are a number of service vehicles around my workplace which remind me of this (they are all white).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have white, and while I like it, I do have one complaint. Because of the aerodynamics, the back of the car gets dirty in a matter of days after a car wash. It must be sucking dirt up from the road. Colored would hide this.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Yea, that Vette looks awesome! The Volt I saw at the dealership was a flatter red though. Maybe because it was a 2013?
It's the exact same paint, the sun and light cause it to look vastly different, in the shade it almost looks maroon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In general, I am banned (by wife) from expressing color opinions.

My pick of CRM was one of my few color picks that got her approval (and even positive comments of it in the driveway.)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the exact same paint, the sun and light cause it to look vastly different, in the shade it almost looks maroon.
Yea, that could be it and that wouldn't work for me here in the NorthWest. It's cloudy here most of the year. I will give it a second look when I get back to the dealership though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
White Diamond with the polished rims

had a 2013 in the blue....traded that in for this

I cant tell you how many people go nuts over this.....women love it....

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
TWO SmartCars???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
White Diamond with the polished rims

had a 2013 in the blue....traded that in for this

I cant tell you how many people go nuts over this.....women love it....
Thanks for the photos! I think you might have me reconsidering my color list. :) What interior do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts