GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am newcomer just join today and I just got my new Volt two days ago already really happy!
Just one question:
I understand that there are two options for regen when driving, pedal and paddle?
I found that hand operating one (Paddle?) is much more efficient than pedal one and is it true? and frequently use paddle will cause any damage to electric motor or any parts of the car? thanks for responses.
Jimmy

·
8,680 Posts
Hi I am newcomer just join today and I just got my new Volt two days ago already really happy!
Just one question:
I understand that there are two options for regen when driving, pedal and paddle?
I found that hand operating one (Paddle?) is much more efficient than pedal one and is it true? and frequently use paddle will cause any damage to electric motor or any parts of the car? thanks for responses.
Jimmy

Welcome. Using the brake pedal adds regen but may also engage the pads, depending on how hard you're pressing and the circumstances. If you're only using the motor, there should be no difference in efficiency because there's no difference in the power flow (at the same deceleration rate.)

Using regen frequently will not have any adverse effect on the car whatsoever; it was designed to do that. The lever seems sturdy and unlikely to wear out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks saghost and I feel that I can try to apply regen on-demand more often. I did found this option needs training because whenever I use regen on-demand the car stop less smother than braking pedal. Is that any trick or tips? Or just need time to get used to?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My '14 ELR so equipped has 26k miles and is almost two years old with no wear I can detect. Actual age is nearly three years since the build date is Jan2014. I use ACC and paddles daily whilst driving exclusively in 'L'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer said to drop it in Low for traffic situations to the regen feature. SO you are saying that the paddle is more efficient?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About paddle and pedal

Yes. I found that the miles available go down slower if I frequently use paddle and I got more technique scores too. But one senior member said no difference between pedal and paddle based on the flow chart so I don't know? But bottom line, if it is same effect at least you save a lots of brake pad wearing as well disks. I never use L actually no ideas about how and when use L.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Other than uncrowded freeways, I'm always in L. L does not mean Low. The gearing is the same, and it still goes 101mph. It increases to the regen levels to about where a stick shift car engine braking would be. D gives you about the regen as a modern automatic when you lift.

So to mimic a stick, Low and paddle. To mimic an automatic, D and no paddle.

As far as the antedotes about L reducing range? Haven't seen it. I can exceed the rated range in stop and go or city streets really easy, 58-62 miles of range. Freeways seem to be entirely speed related. Drive faster than 65mph, and will not hit 50 miles of range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts