GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I've been trying to find this myself but I have to surrender. All I can find are low beam conversion kits. I NEED better lights on my Volt/Ampera but cant find anything on ebay.

Can someone here suggest me a good upgrade from ebay or some other internet sales site that ship worldwide?

Either xenon or LED that fits inside.

THANKS! Links will be appreciated! =)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm very happy with 9012 Xenon kit from Diode Dynamics.

I posted about it herehttp://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?282169-HID-headlamp-quot-9012-quot-drop-in-bulbs-PHOTOS&p=4221354#post4221354

I've been running these almost two months now, and still find them very good. The beam pattern on the passenger side's isn't quite a good as the driver's side -the hot spot isn't quite as defined as on the driver's side, but I think that's the volt's projector headlight, the bulb seems to be working OK.

-Lumos
2014 Gen 1

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Volt doesn't use a dual element bulb but rather a shutter to switch between high/low beam. On previous cars I've had with factory HID's, the low beam was HID but the high beam had a conventional halogen bulb. That might explain a bit about some of the kits just being listed for low beam.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went the LED replacement option, after much deliberation.

My 2012 is fitted with https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9012-HI...PLACE-XENON-/282306836924?hash=item41bacc79bc

I've had them in there for about 7 months, without any issues.
They have a cooling fan, (each), and because they both spin at similar speed, 'beat' a little. the resulting sound is noticeable, not obtrusive, but at times the car is so quiet, I can hear the headlights over the car, even whilst still moving.

My choice eventually came down to build quality and advertised lumens, (with some evidence to support), price, and the location and layout of the emmiters, (specifically how closely they resembled the original filament location)

I must warn though, eBay is very hit and miss. Expect to be ripped off, check very carefully, if it doesn't specifically state, then don't assume.
I don't highly recommend the ones I purchased, because they project a distinct lack of light, (hole), right where the hot spot is meant to be. I'd like to know how they do that!
LEDs all seem to lack the power for distance seeing, but provide a smoother, nicer light that brings street signs and reflectors out more, (at the 5k5 - 6k temperature)
In my case, I was suitably frustrated enough to add LED spotlights externally. They could spoil the look, (opinion), but I think they make the Volt look more techo. I'll get some pics.
The spots I chose are very focussed, (about 12 degrees), to make up for the lack of range of the main beams

·
Registered
534 Posts
After trying several models , OPT7 HID ballast worked perfect with antiflickering ,,, HID gives plenty light, specially if in addittion you get "Swicth back " front ligths (for improvement of lateral illumination). You Tube has several Volt "experiments"...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
In an US-based test, GM-produced vehicles were rated worst for headlight clarity: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement

HID retrofits provide a great upgrade for a modest price. HID is energy efficient and as long as you stay close to 4300K, image quality is good. Diode Dynamics is great. I'm very happy with my Morimoto XB35 setup with over 80,000 miles (130,000 km).

Here's a great post: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?106297-Best-options-for-HID-and-LED-replacements/page3

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wasn't immediately impressed by the lamps you're considering.
Like you, I prefer the LED option, although I've had to add aftermarket spotlights to get the high beam range for my satisfaction.
LEDs are often lacking in the range department.

The example you put forward seems to lack specifications in the wattage output / used, and 1750 lumens is not a huge amount more than standard.
Lumens are a standard mostly misunderstood, and misquoted, so don't be too closely guided by them.
The heat sinking tabs might be difficult to work with in the reduced space behind the globe.
3 emitters per side is not lots, so unless they are very high quality with a top brand behind them, they probably won't be good.
After reading your item more carefully, I am somewhat appeased, so it is up to you. This is my opinion, and I'm near the fence now.

I looked long and hard for 18 months before I found a LED emitter with reasonable output characteristics.
I didn't compromise on lumens, but did compromise on them having their own fans, and I can hear them when I'm driving at low speed.
My surprise at them only costing $50AU was bonus.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ade-Volt-HIR2-9012-HELP&p=4277241#post4277241

They are well made, it would seem, as they look robust, and have worked perfectly for 6 months, (I use them more than many others might)
Their downside is that they have a dark spot right where there's meant to be a hot spot.
So I can't reasonably recommend these either, but I think they're a lot better than the ones you are looking at.

I promise to take some pics soon. I'm off to get my Volt serviced for the 4th time in a few hours.
Prolly will have an opportunity for some images then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah i have made many conversion to HIDs in the past. Not sure how you can go to a LED which does not have a front facing LED all the LEDs seem to be on the sides and unless you have a way to reflect that light to go straight "u r not going to have a good time" :) bonus points for getting the reference.

So my buddy had the DDM Tuning HID kit he took off from his volt i bought it from him as they have a life time warranty. Plug and Play took like 10 min to install and beam is spot on alligned. Will let you guys know how it looks on my way back :)

Now as HIDs use less power does that improve driving distance? or are the lights run off the 12 volt battery?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Now as HIDs use less power does that improve driving distance? or are the lights run off the 12 volt battery?
They're run off of the Aux Power Module, the Volt's "alternator", so ... yes? As far as how much improved driving distance, well.... not much. 10-25 feet for every watt of draw you've saved?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts