GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
speaking as someone who does not yet own a Volt most people would wonder why I would be putting this thread up. But its something I have been looking into doing with the Volt when I happen to stumble upon a Volt myself. So a know a lot of people are asking about why doesnt the Volt have more LEDs assorted throughout the Volt. Well like I have done on my previous cars I have upgraded almost all the lights on the car to either LEDs or HIDs. of course with the Volt it will not be as easy as the headlights on the Volt are HIR? correct me if I'm wrong. and there are only a few scetchy aftermarket HID manufacturers out there who make HIDs for 9012. But like I was saying LED install on the Volt I could imagine being a little difficult as being cladded in aerodynamic underside pannels and who would really want to mess with all that battery power with that? Well I'm sure someone will soon attempt to change the Lights on the Volt to LEDs in order to save precious elecricity. As everyone knows the back of the Volt is pretty much all LED as it is. I haev a list of Bulbs for those who dont know the list yet, from what I read from the downloaded manual I could only find 3 bulbs numbers. I have a list of bulb numbers and the locations.

High & Low beam headamps: 9012
Parking light/front turn signal: 7444NA
License plate/Map light: 2825
Dome light: 194
Step/Courtesy light: 7065
Trunk: 175
I got those numbers from sylvania.com I am a an advid user of V-leds.com I have put V-leds on my car and have not had one problem with any of their bulbs I also have their HIDs installed too. most of these bulbs then converting to LEDs can be used in more than one place:
2825=194 on V-leds on their website, you can get the others if you serch the web for leds to fit the other bulbs on the Volt, I will email V-leds with the list of bulbs they do not have and see if there is any way they could make special orders for the volt or somehow rig up their current bulbs to fit with these # bases so they could fit for everyones Volt to make power draw less. You can go on and order LEDs on the web from other vendors but I myself know the quality and brightness to vleds leds and I hope vleds will make this wish possible for us.
One more thing I have is for those who I know have been saying the reverse bulb for the Volt is quite dim (I stated in my other post that the reason for one single reverse bulb is the fact that the Volt is also the Opel Ampera and some European countries require only one light even if there are spots for two lights, only one can be functional.) long winded. But on V-leds web site is a license plate frame that when in reverse funtion lights up very bright. This will obviously aide in reverse visibility, make your others know your reversing and also greatly help out the reverse cam as I have hurd the reverse cam at night is merely useless.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html
that is for the reverse frame, the web adress for vleds is simple vleds(dot)com. love to hear input, trying to be usefull!

UPDATE!!!

I got an email back from the V-leds reasearch team and he gave me the following information
OK, from the top…

The 7444 can use a 7443

The 175 is indeed a 168

The 7065, is this a festoon style? Like so - (if so I would need to know the measurement tip to tip. Prefer metric)

The 9012 are a modified 9005, I will have to do more looking around!

You can do the switchbacks in a 7443 for sure!

Check out v-leds(dot)com and see what he is talking about with all the number parts.
For vleds website if you want to change the bulbs that are currently incandecent. on their website you can buy a 7443 LED and it WILL work in your Parking light/turn signal locations. what he meant by the switchbacks for them is a dual changing from white to amber multiple LEDs. what this means is, when you have your car on and the lower bumper parking lights on driving they will be a White color like your DRLs in the corner of your front headlight housings, just like those, so it makes your front parking lights look like fog lights, which during the night obviously will help out in visibility. The cool thing about them is, when you go to turn and put your blinkers on the white LEDs get turned of and the Amber ones turn on and flash amber just like a normal turn signal.
Like I said before 168 LED can fit into your 175 trunk bulb with whiter brighter output
and I did research and 7065 IS a festoon style that will fit into your step/courtesy lighting.
and the 2825 LED will fit into your map light and license plate bulb.
so far there is an LED to replace all your incandecent bulbs in your Volt to save those precious surges of electricity to light them up! With further research going into the headlights we should find a quality HID system to put in there, but as of now its practically the same as the 9005 but with a little different. If there are any questions dont be afraid to comment or PM me. I'm still gonna keep in touch with V-leds for further delevopment.
UPDATE!
I just got word that the 9005 and 9006 bulbs will fit in the 9012 sockets but with a little modification, the little tabs on the base just need to be trimmed. more info on the way.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I would like to install LED headlights when I get my Volt. The other interior lights aren't used as much as headlights, so I am skipping those. The backup frame does look interesting.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It does not matter if you don't have a Volt yet. Publishing this entry is a valuable resource to all those who may be interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got an email back today from V-leds they need me to send them the bulb numbers and they will see what they come up with!

·
Registered
857 Posts
burgandy25, can you please explain a little more what the light numbers mean? Are these industry standard numbers, or GM specific numbers? Can I go into NAPA and order bulbs with these numbers? BTW, this thread will be a great addition to the ChrisC FAQ.

WVhybrid
status =:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm very interested in learning more about LED Headlights lamps for my Volt. Before buying though I'd of course want to consider:

1) Price
2) Lifespan relative to stock lights (I pressume it's quite long)
3) # of watts consumed by each headlight COMPARED to the stock lights

Is there anyway we can find this out?

After replacing the headlights, I may be interested in the front parking lights, but that would be it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got an email back from v-leds with great news. I'm in my trig class right now so after I get out amd get back to my room I will post their response :)
UPDATE!
I got an email back from the V-leds reasearch team and he gave me the following information
OK, from the top…

The 7444 can use a 7443

The 175 is indeed a 168

The 7065, is this a festoon style? Like so - (if so I would need to know the measurement tip to tip. Prefer metric)

The 9012 are a modified 9005, I will have to do more looking around!

You can do the switchbacks in a 7443 for sure!

Check out v-leds(dot)com and see what he is talking about with all the number parts.
For vleds website if you want to change the bulbs that are currently incandecent. on their website you can buy a 7443 LED and it WILL work in your Parking light/turn signal locations. what he meant by the switchbacks for them is a dual changing from white to amber multiple LEDs. what this means is, when you have your car on and the lower bumper parking lights on driving they will be a White color like your DRLs in the corner of your front headlight housings, just like those, so it makes your front parking lights look like fog lights, which during the night obviously will help out in visibility. The cool thing about them is, when you go to turn and put your blinkers on the white LEDs get turned of and the Amber ones turn on and flash amber just like a normal turn signal.
Like I said before 168 LED can fit into your 175 trunk bulb with whiter brighter output
and I did research and 7065 IS a festoon style that will fit into your step/courtesy lighting.
and the 2825 LED will fit into your map light and license plate bulb.
so far there is an LED to replace all your incandecent bulbs in your Volt to save those precious surges of electricity to light them up! With further research going into the headlights we should find a quality HID system to put in there, but as of now its practically the same as the 9005 but with a little different. If there are any questions dont be afraid to comment or PM me. I'm still gonna keep in touch with V-leds for further delevopment. this post will also be copied pasted to the original post made by myself

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
burgandy25, can you please explain a little more what the light numbers mean? Are these industry standard numbers, or GM specific numbers? Can I go into NAPA and order bulbs with these numbers? BTW, this thread will be a great addition to the ChrisC FAQ.

WVhybrid
Yes you should be able to walk into a car auto store and ask for these bulbs, these bulbs numbers are from sylvanias web site but are generally used throughout the spectrum with vehicles, soe bulbs can be interchanged with similar ones mainly due to size. These numbers should be ones used to look up other bulb numbers. for example 2825 bulb might not show up on someones bulb list online if your gonna order an LED but they usually have a refrence page were you can look up that 2825 number and it will listed as a 193 bulb or such. Like I said these are sylvania bulbs sylvania bulbs can be found almost anywhere. I have got an email back from V-leds about the LEDs check it out! (gonna type it up after this one reply)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very interested in learning more about LED Headlights lamps for my Volt. Before buying though I'd of course want to consider:

1) Price
2) Lifespan relative to stock lights (I pressume it's quite long)
3) # of watts consumed by each headlight COMPARED to the stock lights

Is there anyway we can find this out?

After replacing the headlights, I may be interested in the front parking lights, but that would be it.
LEDs hae many advanteges and you hit the high points on most of them, LEDs can range in price like your first concern. you can go on ebay and find an led bulb for say the trunk a 175 bulb and it would work perfect and it might cost you only $0.99. Thats great because LEDs generally have better owtput than incandecent, they do not get hot so if you have kids that light to touch things touching an incandecent bulb after its been lit may burn them or yourself. an LED will stay cool to the touch. but back on track, you can find that $0.99 LED great it can be a worthy buy but I like V-leds, google them if you man, I have them on my current car (not the Volt :(.. ) and they are a little more expensive because they are quality build with warranties and can be replaced for free. for the same bulb...may cost you as little as $8 but can get up to $20 for a higher output (brightness). so prices vary on where you go to get them.
#2 You got that right too, depending if you install them correctly and get the right part they can last a super long time, going back to my car I have LED turnsignals both front and rear and rear brake lights and interior lights. oh and I've had the for 3 years never been replaced. most incandecent bulbs tward the end of their life span will start to dim and become more yelloish orange than before. LEDs stay the same all their lifetime unless wattage is reduced then they will dim. Most people dont think LEDs can have dual output like how incandecent bulbs have multi filiments, like your brakes. like at light when you have your lights on they are dim then when you step on the brake they get bright again, that is a falacy as your Volts do that along with most new cars third brake light. same with ever LED they can do that. and LEDs can dim and not flicker if you get the right type of LED. Vleds LEDs do not flicker if you urchase the right ones for your car they will dim like every other light.
#3 for headlights, dont quote me on this but the HIR? (are they HIR headlights I think I read they are.) but those headlights on your Volt if I read correctly are 55w? and HID (like those on luxury cars) can be as low as 35w!. and from my email back from them they said 9012 headlights are modified 9005. and Vleds offers a HID and LED 9005 kits but the LEDs are merely for foglights or DRLs. they advise not to use them for headlights. He is going to do some more research on those and get back to me when he can. If someone was to change the headlighst to LED they would draw 13w and the HIDs (better for night driving than LEDs) consumre only 35w compaired to the stock 55w.
and accordance to your headlight and front parking lights I got an Email back from the guy earlier and you should check it out for your parking light interest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that the back-up cam works fine at night.
thats good ive just read on another post that it wasn't so I tried to give a helping hand and recommend this, how are you liking your Volt, I'm 18 almost 19 and I am going to save up as much as I need for a Volt (probably gonna get a used one not gonna lie). I am into the accessory lighting swapping and I will deffinatly change my bulbs and such, sorry for the long winded reply :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

WVhybrid
that would be an honor to have this thread to a part of FAQ idk how to get it there but if it were to happen I would be pleased!

·
Registered
857 Posts
that would be an honor to have this thread to a part of FAQ idk how to get it there but if it were to happen I would be pleased!
I sent a PM to ChrisC with a link to your post. He isn't around like he used to be, but he does still does maintenance on the FAQ. Check the FAQ by clicking on the link in my signature. It should show up in a few days.

·
Registered
452 Posts
for those who I know have been saying the reverse bulb for the Volt is quite dim. But on V-leds web site is a license plate frame that when in reverse funtion lights up very bright. This will obviously aide in reverse visibility, make your others know your reversing and also greatly help out the reverse cam as I have hurd the reverse cam at night is merely useless.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html
OK I'm a sucker for fun unnecessary add-ons, so I got the V-LEDS.COM licence plate frame with bright LEDs in it. I wired it to my reverse light. (note for anyone who tries this: for some reason the blue 3M Scotchlok connectors that came with the LED frame did not work. I tried three times. I finally tried orange Scotchlok connectors from an auto parts store and they worked).

The LEDs are indeed super bright. In fact, a little too bright for the reverse camera as you will see in the pics below.

Here's the normal reverse camera view at night with no LEDs. I placed a Home Depot bag just below the bumper, at lawn chair and a big garbage can behind the Volt.

photo (15).jpg

Now here's the reverse camera view with the LEDs. Kind of blown out by the brightness:

photo (16).jpg

The license plate frame has 6 LEDs. So I put black electrical tape over the 2 LEDs in the center, nearest the reverse camera. I believe that gives the best view through the camera (though it really isn't much better than the first pic with no LEDs, so don't expect a big improvement in reverse cam view):

photo (17).jpg

Here's close up of the frame and the camera just above the two taped-over LEDs (note that the LEDs do cover up the top portion of the license plate):

photo (19).jpg

While the reverse cam view is only slightly improved (and only after taping over the two center LEDs), the view in the mirrors or looking through the back window is much brighter with the LEDs. And I do like all the extra light it gives off behind the car after you park and get out of the car, and the reverse light and headlights stay on for a while:

photo (18).jpg

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Have you thought about mounting it with a stand-off at the top to angle it down more, or mounting it upside down to reduce/eliminate the glare?

The problem I have with the back up light isn't the brightness, it's the narrowness of the beam. The LEDs seem to produce a much wider spread.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you thought about mounting it with a stand-off at the top to angle it down more, or mounting it upside down to reduce/eliminate the glare?
Both good ideas Rusty. But there are no mounting holes on the bottom of the frame. The bottom of the frame is not attached to the car, and the bottom holes in the license plate are exposed and unused (see license plate close up pic below). So there's no mounting it upside down, and even a spacer shim is not really going to point the LEDs downward, it would just move them slightly away from the car.

You are correct that the LEDs do give a much wider beam. Note how the white pillars on the sides of my garage door opening at the left and right edges of the pics show up much better in the LED shot.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Both good ideas Rusty. But there are no mounting holes on the bottom of the frame.
No mounting holes on the bottom of the frame doesn't matter, you'd be rotating the frame anyway. But if your Volt is like my Volt, it doesn't have holes in the bumper to fit screws through the bottom of the plate (just checked, hadn't noticed that before).

May I suggest trying double stick tape to try it, to see what it looks like? If it's a big improvement, drill baby drill :)

I agree a spacer won't aim it down, but it may reduce the glare of the two center LEDs. You may also be able to reduce the glare without reducing the light by black painting the tops of those LEDs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts