GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had our Viridian Joule/Light Neutral Volt (#23001) for about three weeks now and I noticed this morning that the edge of driver's seat (the edge closest to the door) is already exhibiting signs of dirt accumulation. The closer I looked at it, the more it looked like color had rubbed off from my jeans or slacks.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts/suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? I really don't want to put a white towel down but the last thing I want is for one side of the seat to be blue a few months from now! I have owned other cars with leather seats but this is the first time I've had this problem.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have always had problems with light colored leather seats. Black leather just seems to hold up better for me.

Have you tried any leather cleaner? I have had good luck with Lexol and Meguiar's Gold Class.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cleans right off with Simple Green. Every six months go over the leather seats with Lexol. They will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Be very careful with any cleaners.

Simple Green can eat right into some paint finishes. (Don't ask how I know this, not on my Volt, thank Goodness.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Saturn SKY with tan leather seats and had the same issue. Lexol cleaner on a regular basis seemed to do the trick. The first time you might need to do it a few times over the next few days. From there just do it like once a month to keep it from building up. Also try to avoid wearing new, unwashed jeans.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I was ready to buy our new Volt 3 weeks ago, I liked the light leather, but wife said no way, it is to hard to keep clean. Went with black and happy with it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I also have a Viridian Joule/Light Neutral leather Volt, and the seats do need cleaning occasionally, especially if you wear blue jeans. My previous 1999 Grand Prix also had light neutral leather seats that would turn blue if they weren't regularly cleaned.

Heck, even the inside of my dryer has a blue edge on it from blue jeans tumbling dry. it's going to happen, so you might as well get into a routine of cleaning the seats when you notice them getting dirty, just like you vacuum the carpet or wash the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Light Neutral interior requires attention if you are going to keep it in perfect condition. I've had similar light color leather interiors on a number of cars including BMW's and a Cirrus Aircraft in addition to the Volt. Admittedly, I am probably overly enthusiastic on this point but the results speak for themselves.

It takes about 6 months of frequent application of a high quality leather cleaner with MTN Ranger's Lexol or Meguiars to get the interior conditioned. After that, with continued care, the interior will look great and soiling is significantly reduced. If in doubt about applying the interior treatment, take a minute or two and go over the seats.

This is a classy interior and it does require additional attention to keep it looking spectacular. This interior is definitely not for everyone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I think about it, I've been wearing a pair of new, unwashed jeans for the last few weeks - would never have thought of that as the cause!

I'll give the seat a good once over with Lexol and throw the jeans in the wash!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All, thanks for the feedback. Just picked up some Lexol from the auto parts store on the way home and it worked like a charm. Seats look back to brand new.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yep, try Haggar Cool 18 pants from Kohls. The color never transfers to leather. Blue jeans are gawd awful on leather, even black. You just can't see it as much on the darker leather, but it's there. Turns everything blue until about 50 washings.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
An auto detailer told me the dangers of blue jeans on the light leather, so I have been sitting on a towel from day one . During a long day I may eat a granola bar ( the only thing I eat while driving in the car ) and the towel also helps catch the few crumbs. I'm glad you made this post and to those that replied with the cleaning product name...it may come in handy for me in the future because I had never heard of it before.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have had the same problem with jeans. I simply clean it with a leather cleaner.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have the light leather seats, and they quickly became dirty also. On a tip from this forum (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13212), I tried Zaino Z-9 "Leather Soft Spray Cleaner." It cleaned the leather amazingly quickly and thoroughly. Then I used Zaino Z-10 "Leather in a Bottle" conditioner, and the car has that wonderful smell of a fine leather store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts