GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of a 2013 with approx 34k miles. I am trying to educate myself on all the screens and information available and there is (at least) one thing I can't find. I see people talking about how many lifetime EV miles they've driven and what percentage that is of the total miles. These stats are prominent on VoltStats, for instance. Where do i find this information on my car?

Thanks and my apologies if this has been addressed multiple times.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Unless you had access to the previous owner's stats, you won't. And unless you have onstar you won't know either.

However you can calculate pretty close to how many miles you have on the internal combustion engine (ICE) and EV by using 37 MPG which is about right for your model year (I have 2 2013s). You will also need the Lifetime MPG which is on the centerstack info screen (this number is meaningless but helps you arrive at you total ICE miles)

To calculate ICE miles you would use this formula: (Total Miles/Lifetime MPG) x 37 MPG = ICE miles
FYI Total Miles/Lifetime MPG gives you the total gallons of fuel used.

Example of one of my cars: (52000/141) x 37 = 13,645 ICE miles. Therefore my EV miles are approx. 38,354 (52,000-13,645)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, and the formula for rough calculations. I'll give that a shot when I get back to the car.

I did sign up for OnStar and get 5 months of free premium service. I also signed up for a Leaf Stats account to track the data. Right now the Lifetime EV Miles is 0 (or blank). Is that because I haven't driven the car since I set everything up, or do the stats start over when a new OnStar account is established? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

By the way, is the free basic OnStar service sufficient for tracking this information in Leaf Stats?

Bill

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What is the LifeTime MPG on the Center Stack display?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks for the information, and the formula for rough calculations. I'll give that a shot when I get back to the car.

I did sign up for OnStar and get 5 months of free premium service. I also signed up for a Leaf Stats account to track the data. Right now the Lifetime EV Miles is 0 (or blank). Is that because I haven't driven the car since I set everything up, or do the stats start over when a new OnStar account is established? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

By the way, is the free basic OnStar service sufficient for tracking this information in Leaf Stats?

Bill
Stats start over with new OnStar account. That is why you can use the formula to figure it out. And those are good stats for a 2013.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
if the total MPG is over 250-- temp switch the dash display to metric then convert the L per KM back to MPG.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just downloaded and installed the OnStar RemoteLink app and found some lifetime stats, specifically Lifetime MPG (159), Lifetime EV Miles (27,227) and Total Miles (34,247). Now the formula looks like this:

34,247 / 159 = 215.4 gals x 32.6 MPG = 7,020 miles on gasoline = 27,227 miles on electrons = 80% EV

Thus, a higher EV miles %, but the ICE efficiency is not so good. I think I have a good baseline now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
one thing onstar will do for you is email you monthly you're vehicle stats,and this includes any problems they discover
after your 5 month full onstar trial you will get 3 free years of basic onstar and you will still get the monthly report and your remote access will remain intact also.

welcome to the family and I hope you love your volt like the rest of us do, you will be pleasantly surprised

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information and the welcomes. I'm coming from a Leaf lease, so I'm familiar with EV driving, etc., but I knew as my lease was ending that I wouldn't be buying the Leaf. After a lot of research, it seemed that a 2013-14 Volt was the car for me. I drove the new Volt and the C-Max Energi, but the Gen 1 Volt fit my needs the best. I think I got a good deal on a pristine lease return that was CPO qualified, but I passed on the actual CPO policy. Time (12 months) will tell if that was a good idea or not.

I've been driving the Leaf about 750 miles a month and I anticipate that the Volt will be driven more than that because I'll be taking it out of town on occasion. I already have a Clipper Creek LCS-20, and it works fine on the Volt. I thought I might have to relocate the wall socket, (I added a plug to make it portable) or trade places with my wife's car, but the cord reached fine as is.

I'm looking forward to learning all about the Volt, and driving it wherever and whenever i choose.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just downloaded and installed the OnStar RemoteLink app and found some lifetime stats, specifically Lifetime MPG (159), Lifetime EV Miles (27,227) and Total Miles (34,247). Now the formula looks like this:

34,247 / 159 = 215.4 gals x 32.6 MPG = 7,020 miles on gasoline = 27,227 miles on electrons = 80% EV

Thus, a higher EV miles %, but the ICE efficiency is not so good. I think I have a good baseline now.
You don't have to be too worried about the mpg stats, because for Volts who run 80% + in EV, the genset (ICE) is usually working for short times and it is almost never at its optimal performance. Especially if there is the winter time inserted and the ERDTT, well, this only can mess with the mpg.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You don't have to be too worried about the mpg stats, because for Volts who run 80% + in EV, the genset (ICE) is usually working for short times and it is almost never at its optimal performance. Especially if there is the winter time inserted and the ERDTT, well, this only can mess with the mpg.
Or the owners take monthly 250 mile trips or something. 2 hours of ICE each way is plenty of time for "optimal performance".

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Actually mine is more efficient for the short trips in that I select when I run the ICE in most cases. So, if I know I will go over 40 miles on a trip, I wait until I get on the highway at 50+mph and turn on the ICE. I usually get 40MPG or better when I do that. However, a long trip I usually get about 36 or 37MPG.

If I don't do anything and just let it go to Extended Range Mode around town etc. it get much worse.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Or the owners take monthly 250 mile trips or something. 2 hours of ICE each way is plenty of time for "optimal performance".
Being one of those who don't use gas almost 9 month of the year but for ERDTT in winter time, I do have a lousy mpg gas only. But when I go on long road trips the mpg is around 42 on my Gen 1 Volt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stats start over with new OnStar account. That is why you can use the formula to figure it out. And those are good stats for a 2013.
Just to clarify, lifetime stats do not start over with a new OnStar account. Both the OnStar app and the VoltStats website display lifetime stats for the car, not the account.

·
Registered
208 Posts
check your center console display, it shows lifetime mpg on the screen as well as kwh used

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
check your center console display, it shows lifetime mpg on the screen as well as kwh used
kWh Used is only for the current trip not lifetime.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just to clarify, lifetime stats do not start over with a new OnStar account. Both the OnStar app and the VoltStats website display lifetime stats for the car, not the account.
Disagree. It does show total miles and it will show Lifetime MPG. However the EV miles are not correct. At least it didnt for mine. When I bought my second 2013 Volt new both were on the same onstar account. The stats where always messed up. Therefore they split one of the Volts off to its own account.

Now, my Lifetime MPG is correct and shows 143. My total miles is correct and shows 34,138. However my EV miles is not correct. It only shows 17,440 on the app and online. When they first split the two cars to separate accounts the EV miles went to zero. Therefore my conclusion that the EV miles starts over. I think you as the OP had the same experience, at least that is what you said a couple of posts in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Disagree...Therefore my conclusion that the EV miles starts over. I think you as the OP had the same experience, at least that is what you said a couple of posts in.
All of the fields showed zero when I first installed the app, but that was before it updated. If I can add a picture, I'll post a screenshot from the OnStar app and VoltStats website.

Screenshot_20160804-110141.jpg

Screenshot_20160804-135717.jpg

edit: I don't know why those pictures are so small. See post #8 for the numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts