GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the tale of the man who blew-out his tire against a curb. I wonder what the anticipated lifespan of the factory-issued Goodyear tires should be. I have 24,000 miles on the original tires. Tread wear is even, but not much for winter traction. I plan to replace the set with Michelin X-Ice for year-round service in the mountains. I wonder what experiences other Volt owners have endured. BTW: I have run the rims out of remote wilderness areas when one of my previous vehicles blew a tire. No cell phone coverage. If you are not dependent on dealerships, I can not imagine there being any shortage of available replacement tires for a Volt. I like Big O Tire myself for inventory.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Those who have not burst their tires and have increased the pressure settings to 38-40 pounds have reported pretty good mileage from them. I have gotten over 50,000 miles from mine.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Mine showed obvious shoulder wear after 24K miles driven by previous owner, and could have been replaced at that time. Unknown air pressure and rotation history. Still had ample tread depth in the centers, 7/32, so I kept them on and ran them at 45 psi. At 39K miles, one tire started to show the edge of a belt, so I replaced them. Center tread depth was also getting low at that time. Mine didn't last that long, however, I am glad to be rid of them. Too fragile, noisy and harsh.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hard question to answer. Reminds me of when my luxury car dealer told me I needed new tires. The car only had 25K miles on the odometer and I questioned why I needed new ones at 25K when the tires were rated for many more miles. His answer was: "That's on real roads, not the ones we have here in Atlanta". Funny but sad.

Other than the blowouts from hitting curbs, we haven't seen too many issues with tires, or at least not more than you'd expect from any car. The ones on my car look like they''ll last until 50K. The tires on my Leaf only lasted less than 40K, but that car was driven a lot on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Those who have not burst their tires and have increased the pressure settings to 38-40 pounds have reported pretty good mileage from them. I have gotten over 50,000 miles from mine.
Not me. I only got about 35k. Could have gotten maybe another 5k out of them, but winter was coming, and I wasn't going to run bald tires all winter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Be mindful that tires other than the GM spec'd Goodyear will affect range. I am on Michelen Primacy's now estimated hit to EV range maybe 5-7%.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have just one of the original Goodyears left on my 2013 Volt. One blew out in the Fort McHenry tunnel and two had pretty severe toe in when I had them rotated so I bought new ones. The remaining original Goodyear has decent tread, probably good for one more winter. I have just 25,000 miles on them though. I usually run at 41 psi, so that may account for the shorter life.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have almost 45K on mine, with plenty of even tread left. I'm pretty strict about pressure and rotation. Good to hear that, barring sidewall thumps, I can keep them a while longer.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This thread is more about energy efficient tires vs 'normal' tires. LRR tires seem to have a lighter and more fragile carcass. Especially sidewalls. The OEM Potenzas on my ELR have picked up more nails/screws than any other tire for decades. I have had two flats in only a year-and-a-half. (25k miles).

The tread is holding up as well as other tires though. I don't exactly baby them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I read the tale of the man who blew-out his tire against a curb. I wonder what the anticipated lifespan of the factory-issued Goodyear tires should be. I have 24,000 miles on the original tires. Tread wear is even, but not much for winter traction. I plan to replace the set with Michelin X-Ice for year-round service in the mountains. I wonder what experiences other Volt owners have endured. BTW: I have run the rims out of remote wilderness areas when one of my previous vehicles blew a tire. No cell phone coverage. If you are not dependent on dealerships, I can not imagine there being any shortage of available replacement tires for a Volt. I like Big O Tire myself for inventory.
A lot of threads and tire reviews on this forum. You might give those a read as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm at 56,000 miles now, and I am planning to go to 61000 before replacing this November. Shoulder wear is pretty bad, but I am still not at the wear bars in the center. Always run 38-41 PSI. Rotate at ~12,000 miles typically.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I only have 13k on my '14 Volt, the tires are obviously in excellent condition. Keeping tire shine on the walls helps cut down on the UV damage which can cause cracking and hardening. This is especially useful if your car spends a lot of time outside. My wife's OEM Bridgestone tires on her 2011 CR-V went bad (Bald and cracking) last year with only ~30k on them.

I've also been wondering how good the OEM Volt tires are after having such a bad experience with the CR-V tires. When I was test driving Volt's, a 2013 obviously had wheel/tire issues as they were constantly being services (According to the history report). The front tires were after market tires and the rears original. Make of that what you will.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello it's good to see that my mileage is not the worst. Got about 30 to 35 k on the 2013.
Replaced all tires . Returned leased car at 45 k. Still had some good tread on two of the tires. So I bought 4 cheap tires and kept the two good tires
I am A bit rough on the turns

1 - 15 of 15 Posts