GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Volt is a 2013 (Generation 1) former corporate executive lease. I got it at the start of December 2015 with very low miles and a little "curb rash" on a couple of the rims but otherwise pristine condition. Since then it has been my daily driver on an 80 mile round trip work commute that includes 65mph rural highway in good condition, 70mph interstate highway in good condition, and a 35mph village with some bumpy railroad crossings and "okay" pavement.

The vehicle has been driven in temps ranging from -4F to 97F (-20C to 36C) and is parked in a covered but open car port at home, and in an open parking lot at work. It has been driven in snow, slush, heavy rain, and clear weather, basically all conditions.

Initially I had a significant "lets play with all the features all the time" period, and I did do some slight modification to the vehicle, mostly involving replacing all the incandescent lighting with LED based emitters (see OHM-RIDE). Since then I've settled down some and just been driving it.

Overall this vehicle has had the lowest impact on my lifestyle of almost anything I've owned (7 vehicles and counting). You have the option of playing all kinds of "efficiency games" if you so choose but once I had established the parameters of what the vehicle could do I pretty much went back to my usual driving habits which are pretty moderate overall, and the car has been just fine.

Apparently some part of my hind-brain used to keep track of maintenance intervals by using gas fills like "ticks" on the clock because now with the combination of minimal service items at long intervals and no regular gas station visits the time has just flown by and I actually have to refer to my notes to make sure I do things like monitor the coolant level and rotate the tires when I'm supposed to.

There have been a few issues including
  • A defective tail light (replaced quickly under warranty with minimal impact to me)
  • Two tires patched from slow leaks (Goodyear Assurance OEM).
  • A couple of random computer freak-outs fixed by turning the car off and restarting
Also I have a few "use" complaints
  • The stock headlights suck. Period!
  • I dislike the car taking over cabin climate control occasionally regardless of how you set things
  • The "car is on" triple-honk is way too loud and obnoxious
  • So many warning beeps and chimes that after a while you just start tuning it out
  • lack of a manual emergency brake
  • It's very "drippy" in rain when you open the door
But nitpicks aside, this vehicle has been outstanding for my commute. quiet, reliable, solid to drive in nearly all weather conditions, well behaved, and efficient. It has also been a joy for longer trips to see family and friends.

So far this vehicle has met or exceeded all of the expectations I had of it and even some I didn't realize I had until I bought the car.

It's still not the car for everyone but it gets the highest praise I know how to give a car which is that 6 months in I still don't mind making my car payment. :)

(additional note... I'm up to 4.67 miles/KW now... yea I love warm weather!)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have similar impressions of my 2013. Overall a great car and easy to own. Also totally agree with the "stock headlights suck" comment. Fortunately they are reasonably easy to upgrade, and I would encourage owners to look into that. Lots of info on this forum. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The head lights should be called "head darks". Plagiarized from the Jimmy Stewart movie - Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Also totally agree with the "stock headlights suck" comment. Fortunately they are reasonably easy to upgrade, and I would encourage owners to look into that. Lots of info on this forum. Well worth the effort.
+1. The only downside to LED bulbs is that snow accumulates on the housings more easily while driving. I've only seen this happen once so far. Otherwise I'm very happy with the light output and whiter color.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Love my 9 month old CPO volt.

Not really bothered by the headlights since I had a 15 year old Grand Prix with very badly clouded headlight lenses. I feel like I have flood lights now :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
At 3 1/2 years I'm just about ready to ditch the gas powered vehicles. Who wants to listen to them fart constantly.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
+1. The only downside to LED bulbs is that snow accumulates on the housings more easily while driving. I've only seen this happen once so far. Otherwise I'm very happy with the light output and whiter color.
I've come to the conclusion that the reason I'm happy with the stock lights is that my night vision has deteriorated to the point where I can't tell the difference. As for the 'drippy' problem, I had just put that down to my expanding bald spot.

Age has its rewards. I just can't remember what they are.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the reason I'm happy with the stock lights is that my night vision has deteriorated to the point where I can't tell the difference.
Have you been checked for cataracts? Could be the yellowish light works better for you.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Have you been checked for cataracts? Could be the yellowish light works better for you.
My eyes have had more work done than Joan rivers' face. No more cataracts, both eyes fixed (for free, courtesy of Socialized Medicine, but let's not go there for now) and I'm 20/20 or better in the daylight. In that regard, I'm better than anyone I know and better than I was at 18.

The retinas were heavily lasered back in the day and that took its toll on the night vision, but no more glare or other cataract-related problems. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
My eyes have had more work done than Joan rivers' face. No more cataracts, both eyes fixed (for free, courtesy of Socialized Medicine, but let's not go there for now) and I'm 20/20 or better in the daylight. In that regard, I'm better than anyone I know and better than I was at 18.

The retinas were heavily lasered back in the day and that took its toll on the night vision, but no more glare or other cataract-related problems. Thanks for asking.
I will keep that in mind if someone mentions lasering my retinas. So far so good.

but let's not go there for now
I love this expression. Right after "going there" the request not to is filed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I will keep that in mind if someone mentions lasering my retinas. So far so good.

I love this expression. Right after "going there" the request not to is filed. :rolleyes:
The idea is not to venture any farther off-topic out of respect to the OP and everyone else. I know you and I could give it a good run. As for laser treatment, this was done 30 years ago and there are better (but more expensive) treatments available now, so I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The idea is not to venture any farther off-topic out of respect to the OP and everyone else. I know you and I could give it a good run.
No worries. I post bait too, and know when I'm doing it. :D

As for laser treatment, this was done 30 years ago and there are better (but more expensive) treatments available now, so I wouldn't worry.
If I can afford it. ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
First thing I did when I got my Volt was raise the headlights. It helped quite a bit. They still can't hold a candle (pun intended) to our Camry, but I see OK except in rain. I noticed GM has removed the separate high-beams on the new Malibu. They do appear to be using a larger diameter projector lens though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts