GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

First post. I've been a lurker.

My 1st generation Volt had to be taken in for a rear bumper replacement due to somebody rear ending me lighthly.

However, after the replacement, everything is great aside from my license plate bulbs. I've replaced the bulbs themselves, and also checked the fuse (10) for the bulbs. Everything checks out.

Should I take the bumper apart and see if the shop didn't wire it up correctly? I hesitate to bring it back, as the shop is a bit out of the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just opened the bumper, and all the connections are in place. The reverse sensors work. The rear lights work. The backup light works.

I don't think it's the fuse, as the related fuse (fuse #10) is connected to the keyless entry (which works). All exterior lights work as well when unlocking the car...just not the license plate bulbs....

I'm at a loss....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Have a multimeter to poke around checking for voltages?

·
Administrator
20,155 Posts
Bad bulb socket/connector?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having an issue where my left side license plate bulbs stops working...it seems this wiring connection is linked to the aftermarket license plate frame backup camera that is on the car as the camera stops running when the light is off.
When I tap on the car, the connection works and the bulb and camera reactivate.

How do you take the bumper off? I don't see any info in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having an issue where my left side license plate bulbs stops working...it seems this wiring connection is linked to the aftermarket license plate frame backup camera that is on the car as the camera stops running when the light is off.
When I tap on the car, the connection works and the bulb and camera reactivate.

How do you take the bumper off? I don't see any info in the Owner's Manual.
1) Look inside the rear wheel wells. There are bolts in there lining the bumper backside. Take those out.
2) There are many bolts underneath the bumper itself. Take those out. Don't remember the socket types, but they were a combo of phillips / star bolts.
3) A couple of bolts around the liner of trunk where trunk meets the car - you need to open the hatch for those
4) Slowly jimmy the sides of the trunks where the tabs are. The worst tabs are the ones that meet near the rear lights.

I think there's a write up somewhere on this forum.

I wonder if my issue is linked to the backup camera as well. I haven't had a chance to check the sockets with a multimeter...Frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts