GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody do a search on Volt recall and see 69,000 Volts being recalled to update software to limit charging to 90 percent until cause of LG Chem fire is discovered? Do a search in this. I stumbled upon it. All over auto news, it seems. I don't think this is the recall that just came out but the software update sounds very similar. I'm getting that one next week.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Nope, no 69.000 Volts being recalled for this.

This is somewhat old news and concerns the Bolt. There have been several posts here, even recently.

I can understand someone hearing "Bolt" and thinking the person said "Volt", but reading Bolt in a news report and seeing the word Volt, that's a new one.

I use Hilltop Reserve to limit my Bolt's charge to 90%. GM announced recently they will have a fix, likely in April.

See Learn About

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
The take-away is that all batteries are not the same. The Gen1 and Gen2 Volt batteries are slightly different in chemistry and together are different in chemistry and construction from the Bolt battery, which is the battery possibly capable of flaming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, no 69.000 Volts being recalled for this.

This is somewhat old news and concerns the Bolt. There have been several posts here, even recently.

I can understand someone hearing "Bolt" and thinking the person said "Volt", but reading Bolt in a news report and seeing the word Volt, that's a new one.

I use Hilltop Reserve to limit my Bolt's charge to 90%. GM announced recently they will have a fix, likely in April.

See Learn About
Articles I read (2) said Volt. However, wording was almost the same and I suspect the source was just copied over as a lot of reports are today. Be careful of patronizing editorial comments. You don't know me.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This site is the only one I found that may be causing that confusion, it does uniformly say Volt but it's obviously wrong (they also call an Ampera-e a sister to the Volt... we all know Ampera=Volt, Ampera-e=Bolt). This is a Bolt issue.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Articles I read (2) said Volt. However, wording was almost the same and I suspect the source was just copied over as a lot of reports are today. Be careful of patronizing editorial comments. You don't know me.
We do know our cars and their industry, though, and how common problems are, and how seldom or frequently they catch fire, and whether an article or two are new or wrong.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Be careful about misinformation. 2 articles is not "All over auto news", just some uniformed writers getting their facts wrong.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Be careful about misinformation. 2 articles is not "All over auto news", just some uniformed writers getting their facts wrong.
It seems like a lot of that is going around in the MSM these days. Sad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are absolutely right.. since 2018.. Chevy has been having problems with the Power Management and as I got just recently a recall that updates the software so now you can only charge to 45 miles and charging is lowered so you cannot use a level 2 charger as charge rate is no higher than 3.93 KW. It is ridiculous.. I am so happy I leased this.. totally bs update and repair as they have had over 1,200 light on fire from overcharging.. Chevy you suck on this..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not True.. since 2018 Chevy has known.. GM Issues Recall of Chevrolet Volt for Faulty Battery Software - Alexander Law

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,002 Posts
thats the difference between software to sell the product - money in
and software after its sold - no money in
never trusted after the fact upgrades
fixes one thing , but usually screws something else up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not True.. since 2018 Chevy has known.. GM Issues Recall of Chevrolet Volt for Faulty Battery Software - Alexander Law

Yes... terrible. drops your charging to 45 max and you cannot use a level 2 charger past 3.93KW... just to protect Chevy's butt..

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts

The link you provided is about stalling. Did you read it? A recall for sudden stalling is not the topic of this thread. It's fires. Is stalling the same to you as a fire? The OP posted that there is a Volt recall to address fires. That's simply not true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The link you provided is about stalling. Did you read it? A recall for sudden stalling is not the topic of this thread. It's fires. Is stalling the same to you as a fire? The OP posted that there is a Volt recall to address fires. That's simply not true.
So Sorry Steverino... here is the one... it talks about Bolts so you better watch out..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Anybody do a search on Volt recall and see 69,000 Volts being recalled to update software to limit charging to 90 percent until cause of LG Chem fire is discovered? Do a search in this. I stumbled upon it. All over auto news, it seems. I don't think this is the recall that just came out but the software update sounds very similar. I'm getting that one next week.
As a Volt owner, my first reaction to such news would be to wonder what is meant by updating the software in a Volt "to limit charging to 90 percent." The Volt has been programmed to use only a fixed portion of the full battery capacity for Electric Mode driving ("full charge" at one SOC level, "switch to extended range" at a lower SOC level, i.e., the "usable window"), and when the battery is "out of charge" so you can’t drive any more Electric Miles, the actual state of charge is still above the 15% SOC level. So, would this "software fix" be intended to limit charging to 90% of the Volt’s normal "usable window," or to 90% of full battery capacity?

A battery electric vehicle has no such "usable window." A software fix to limit charging to 90 percent seems more likely to involve a BEV. Indeed, when I did a search for "69,000 Volts recalled," I got a list of links, most of which referred to the recall of Chevy Bolt EVs.

The list did start with my original search term, a link titled "GM recalls 69,000 Chevrolet Volts EV," but it was followed by three links referring to "GM recalling nearly 69,000 Chevy Bolt EVs." At the bottom of the first page of links is a reference to the battery recall in Germany affecting the Ampera-e, described as a European version of the Chevrolet Volt EV, which should make a Volt owner wonder why the article is referring to "the Volt EV," and not just "the Volt."

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
As a Volt owner, my first reaction to such news would be to wonder what is meant by updating the software in a Volt "to limit charging to 90 percent." The Volt has been programmed to use only a fixed portion of the full battery capacity for Electric Mode driving ("full charge" at one SOC level, "switch to extended range" at a lower SOC level, i.e., the "usable window"), and when the battery is "out of charge" so you can’t drive any more Electric Miles, the actual state of charge is still above the 15% SOC level. So, would this "software fix" be intended to limit charging to 90% of the Volt’s normal "usable window," or to 90% of full battery capacity?

A battery electric vehicle has no such "usable window." A software fix to limit charging to 90 percent seems more likely to involve a BEV. Indeed, when I did a search for "69,000 Volts recalled," I got a list of links, most of which referred to the recall of Chevy Bolt EVs.

The list did start with my original search term, a link titled "GM recalls 69,000 Chevrolet Volts EV," but it was followed by three links referring to "GM recalling nearly 69,000 Chevy Bolt EVs." At the bottom of the first page of links is a reference to the battery recall in Germany affecting the Ampera-e, described as a European version of the Chevrolet Volt EV, which should make a Volt owner wonder why the article is referring to "the Volt EV," and not just "the Volt."
On the traditional keyboard layout the "B" and "V" are next to each other. Perhaps a typing error occurred and there was no "Editor" to pick up the mistake. I see a lot of typing errors in posting in this forum...I make them myself. Most times I act as my "Editor", but, sometimes I'm sloppy. Luckily, millions don't get to experience my sloppiness. <grins>

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
On the traditional keyboard layout the "B" and "V" are next to each other. Perhaps a typing error occurred and there was no "Editor" to pick up the mistake. I see a lot of typing errors in posting in this forum...I make them myself. Most times I act as my "Editor", but, sometimes I'm sloppy. Luckily, millions don't get to experience my sloppiness. <grins>
Oh, this is not a simple typing error. The OP did locate news of a Volt EV battery recall in business news articles dated November 2020 from teller report and business korea. Note that the picture in one of the two Teller articles is a picture of a Bolt, and the picture in the Business Korea report is that of the Ampera-e, their version of the Bolt. At the bottom of the Teller reports are some additional You May Like articles, including a third one describing the recalled Chevy Volt EV.

11/13/20:

11/27/20:

11/14/20:

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
So Sorry Steverino... here is the one... it talks about Bolts so you better watch out..

Watch out for what? Fire? I have always limited my Bolt charge to 90%, the same as the recall's temporary fix. So from a safety standpoint, I'm good until the permanent fix is available.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Don't believe everything you read....especially if you've read it on the internet. No one should be charging their Lithium ion battery to 100% any way unless it's that one road trip where you absolutely have to stretch it to the next charging station. You can do it but why would you? That's just the way Lithium ion batteries work (there was an interesting TV program on a while back on that). Maybe solid state might be different but we aren't there yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts