GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen articles saying the Bolt is essentially an LG designed EV. I feel all parts and components are supplied by outside suppliers for all cars. In the case of the Bolt I guess the issue is all of the drive train is designed and sourced by LG. What happens when LG also wants to manufacture the Bolt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I doubt manufacturing an entire car for the western market is something LG wants to get into. This space is already highly competitive and crowded. Companies like LG and Samsung actually already make compact electric cars for the Asian urban market. But this market is easier to break into (much lower cost point).

GM has outsourced development of specific parts (frequently transmissions, engines, shocks, etc) many times before and you don't see Brembo or Bose making an entire car.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I doubt LG wants to spend a billion dollars developing a new vehicle platform and then create a dealer network to distribute and service it.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
An article says that? I'm guessing you mean the article that quotes the misguided Tesla Fanboy on the Tesla site. The facts are that GM designed the electric traction motor and the battery-control system and was responsible for all integration of the powertrain into the vehicle itself. That's pretty much the drive train other than the cells. It also validated all systems. In this regard, I'll note that GM has excellent motor technology.

Personally I think this was a great idea. It really cut down on the development time. What's ironic about the criticism from the TFB crowd is that Tesla would likely have much better reliability and build quality if it didn't insist on producing the cars itself. Most of Tesla's value added is on the marketing side and a company like Magna Steyr, which builds BMWs, actually knows how to assemble vehicles.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
This article has a very high BS factor.

GM designed the car. LG Chem and LG Electronics are Tier one automotive suppliers. Collaboration with suppliers to reduce production costs and improve quality is normal in the automotive business.

The Electric motor was designed by GM. The battery chemistry is GM's (developed to work within LG's manufacturing capability). Many of the components have been developed under GM and only GM patents. They were tested and validated by GM. And they will be manufactured to GM specifications and standards. Even the tooling and much of the equipment used to manufacture these parts by LG Chem and LG Electronics will be owned by GM. I don't see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
GM still controls the Intellectual Property and patents. They own the car soup-to-nuts whether LG builds parts for them or not.

If LG sourced these parts to another company or built their own car it would be (at the very least) a contract-killing disclosure and most likely a huge lawsuit.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Bolt was mostly designed and engineered at two places: GM's design studio in Incheon, South Korea and the GM Technical Center in Warren MI. LG is providing a lot of drive train and electronic components. LG would have to go a long, long ways to develop in-house automotive engineering expertise coming close to that of GM's. This is Google and Apple's fundamental entry challenge in entering this field. Quality, cost-effective mass-produced cars, especially EV, are really, really hard to design and build. Tesla is learning that lesson now.

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gm-electric-car-chevy-bolt-mary-barra/

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Many components inside the iPhone are made by Samsung but that does not make it a Samsung iPhone. Same here. GM designed the car and built it. Some component manufacturing was outsourced to LG.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Pure F.U.D. and an attempt to belittle GM as being incapable. This made-up story line plays into some people's beliefs, but is not factual as noted in several posts above.

After all, there is simply no possible way that GM could design, engineer, and build an EV that would outperform Tesla. So it must be LG who did it. Some have such an irrational attitude toward GM they must make up false stories like this to avoid facing the fact that their belief system is based on a lie.

First is was that GM would not be the first to market with an affordable >200 mile EV, then it was the aero would make the Bolt slow and inefficient, then it was the battery range would be less then the you know three, then it was the Bolt would be more expensive than a non-existent car, then its the build quality, yadda yadda. Talk to the hand :)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm surprised at how few people seem to understand the distinction between designing and developing. An architect designs a building; a contractor develops (i.e., builds) it.

You know how Tesla outsources the manufacturing of car components to other companies? That's what GM did with LG. End of story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts