GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a thousand threads on Lvl 2 chargers, but one thing I don't see addressed is a Lvl2 smart charger. One that connects either via WIFI or Zigbee. Anyone have recommendations on one? I just want to check on it now and then - I'm in Colorado and part of the EnergyHub program that has a EnergyHub device that can talk to wall outlets with ZigBee, so a Zigbee version would be ideal. Just nice to monitor energy usage and see fun graphs. If I'm gonna spend $500-$1000 on a fancy overpriced plug, I want it to at least be a little smart.

I was hoping the new BlinkHQ would have connectivity but it doesn't seem to now that it came out (pre-release info indicated otherwise "Connected capabilities and remote access (coming soon)").

I was hoping the Siemens Versicharge SG would be out by now with ZigBee but I can't find it yet.

Anything out reasonable out there? I saw the KickStarter for the LVl 2 charger here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st but that guy may be a while out, and I'm not sure how warranty would work with a small operation like that.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well I have not heard of one you could get creative and build one. https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ Chris Howell started the open EVSE project and he probably can help you get in touch with someone that has connected one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I got the Siemens EVSE off of Amazon. Electrician is coming out tomorrow to set up the plug for it.

Things I like about it: decent price (cheaper than the $1000+) units
3 year warranty
Plug so I can take it with me should I ever move

But honestly, having a degree in Electronics Engineering, I don't think an EVSE should really cost more than a couple hundred bucks. There's really nothing super complicated in 'em.

Edit: Looking at the OpenEVSE stuff, I'm thinking I should have just bought parts and assembled myself... but I'm impatient! Oh well, if I ever have problems with my Siemens, I'll get the OpenEVSE parts and build my own replacement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I understand you have an electronics engineering degree but bear in mind the risk associated with building your own EVSE that is not UL listed, and does not have all the certifications that declare it code compliant. IF for some reason the unit fails and starts a fire your homeowners insurance may not cover the damages and reject your claim. It would be very easy for any insurance company to declare a faulty homeowner built electrical appliance caused the fire which is no doubt in the fine print of your agreement.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
As an EE, I became a pledge of this project, and I bought the $199 kit:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1076207974/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st

It is intelligent and has a WiFi option so you can communicate with it.

The best part is that I DON"T HAVE ANY EV YET!!!

But I did my part to put my pledge and I will have my own Level 2 EVSE ready by the time the Spark EV is available for me. The cost of the J1772 cable and connector is another $140, so my total cost is less than $500. I do my own installation.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
But honestly, having a degree in Electronics Engineering, I don't think an EVSE should really cost more than a couple hundred bucks. There's really nothing super complicated in 'em.
It's not the cost of the materials, it's the cost of production. How many plug-ins have been sold? The market is not large enough to get a production efficiency cost reduction.

I also think it's a little early in the game to have intelligent appliances that talk to the providers. We're still in the pilot stage such as Austin's Pecan Street.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's not the cost of the materials, it's the cost of production. How many plug-ins have been sold? The market is not large enough to get a production efficiency cost reduction.

I also think it's a little early in the game to have intelligent appliances that talk to the providers. We're still in the pilot stage such as Austin's Pecan Street.
True, no economy of scale yet. Hopefully the BMW I3, lower prices on the Leaf and the starting low price of the Spark will get more people interested in EVs. On top of that, if GM can get the cost of the Volt down $7-10,000 like they say, that will do loads to help sales. I probably wouldn't have been able to get mine if it weren't for the 0% and $2k back.

Also yeah, insurance companies are always looking for an out, so I'm not upset about spending a lot more on a factory made, warranted and guaranteed EVSE. The electrician left just a couple hours ago after setting up the socket for it. I did a grocery run and plugged the car in... I'm so going to love that faster charging!

BTW, what's on Pecan street? I'm just west of Elgin and work right next to Henna Chevrolet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts