GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt. Been using a Duosida Level 2 charger for several months now without any major problems. Am using a 6-30 plug. The other day I drove the car home and the battery was completely depleted. Usually I plug in right away when I get home, but did not this day since my power company was having a rebate if using less power during that part of the day. I let car sit for about six hours. Then tried plugging in the L2 charger. The Power light went on, but the Connected and Charge lights were off. No fault light was on. Plugged in the stock L1 charger. Charged fine on that. Left plugged in for about eight hours. Then I plugged in the L2 charger to test in the morning. Sure enough, now it worked again. I had to leave so couldn't leave plugged in for more than a few minutes. Drove car as usual. When coming home in the late afternoon, tried the L2 charger again. It worked but only charged for maybe 25-30 minutes. Plugged back in the L1 charger. Worked fine on L1. Left charge for a couple hours. Then tried L2 again. L2 worked again for 25-30 minutes and charged up a few more miles. Then the Connected and Charge lights went off again. Plugged L1 in again and charging on that for the rest of the night.

In all the instances where the L2 wouldn't charge, I unplugged the connector two or three times and re-plugged in. In all those cases, charge would not happen again.

I also did call OnStar to see if they saw any codes on their end, but they did not. The vehicle just had the Unable to Charge message. It wasn't a "Service Now" type message.

I have heard some reports that if the battery coolant is a little low, sometimes you can see more issues with L2 charging vs. L1 charging. The coolant is pretty close to the bottom of the arrow.....it is maybe slightly low. I will try adding some more coolant just to see if that does the trick.

At this point, I doubt if the Duosida charger is the problem. Would hate to order a second one unless I had to. Not too many L2 chargers or Volts in my area. Haven't been to the dealer but might try to stop by there and see if I can try their charger.

Has anyone else heard of issues where L1 seems to always work but L2 intermittent?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Not had that problem. Are you certain there are no public L2 charging stations near you? You can use the PlugShare app to locate charging stations.

If you make up an adapter cable for your stock EVSE with a 6-30 plug on one end and a 5-15 receptacle on the other end your stock EVSE will function as a 240V/12 amp L2 EVSE.

I'm not going to suggest that your Duosida L2 EVSE is the problem but your Duosida L2 EVSE is likely to be the problem.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Don't spend a penny until you try it out on another (working) charge station (one of our town free ones was out for almost a year, up and running now). If it works fine on another charge station, then spend pennies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can make one yourself or go on Etsy.com and search under EVSE adapter

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You should first try another location with a Level 2 EVSE. Your 6-30 receptacle could be worn out or have a loose connection. If that is the case then the stock EVSE with an adapter cable will also have the same issue when charging using the 240V outlet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another thought is that your utility company has cut the voltage on their lines due to the hot weather/high peak demand and they are not providing 220volts and therefore though the charger is "powered" up it might not be receiving sufficient voltage. Remember the charger is actually in the car. Your EVSE is just a safety relay device. It might release voltage into the car but it is only able to "pass through" same level of voltage that it receives from the power lines provided by your electric company. During peak demand periods that voltage can frequently drop below 200volts and the car will then see that and decided it is insufficient to perform a Level 2 charge. However the 100 volts it sees on your Level 1 charger might be sufficient to charge. Next time this is happening, meter the voltage at the outlet where your EVSE is plugged in and see what it reads. If it is far less than 220V then that's your problem if it's normal then perhaps your EVSE is faulty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any suggestions on a device I can plug in to my 6L-30 to measure voltage? Didn’t even think it could potentially be an issue related to the power company and output. Appreciate the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Any suggestions on a device I can plug in to my 6L-30 to measure voltage? Didn’t even think it could potentially be an issue related to the power company and output. Appreciate the suggestion.
You can test the voltage at any 120V outlet using a voltmeter designed to test AC voltage. With split phase residential power, the 240V is just two hot leads coming from your panel. Each hot lead is 180 degrees out of phase with respect to the other lead.

A better test would be to turn off the power at the main panel to the outlet and check that the receptacle connections inside the outlet box are tight, also that the receptacle it not old and worn out, no longer makes a tight connection with the plug.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
The main battery cooling tank has a label and you want the level at the top of that. ( the tank that is middle front )
I think the other tanks have an arrow but molded into the plastic.

there are 3 prong simple AC leave plugged in Volt meter to monitor home voltage the 120 volt AC ones are easier to find.
Do not remember where I got my 240 AV one ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spend more time troubleshooting your Duosida L2 EVSE. There are 4 Volt owners on my floor at work and the one using Duosida has L2 a problem with it not charging completely. I don't view Duosida as a reliable EVSE.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update.....still charges intermittently although it seems like it is working a little more than before. Doesn’t seem to really be dependent on the weather or time of day. It’s been anywhere from 50-100 here recently in North Dakota. I might just get one of the 240 adapters for my stock charger just to have on hand to see if it works better than the Duosida. I had the Duosida for maybe seven months and these recent episodes were the first issues I have had. Usually when it doesn’t charge only the power light comes on and that’s it. However a few days ago the power light, connected light and charge light were all on and it wasn’t charging. Most days I don’t really need the L2 as I have 14 hours where the car sits idle....but sure is nice if I do happen to need to make another trip in the car! Thanks for all the tips so far. Will continue to keep updating!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just bought a Duosida and it was delivered yesterday. It came with a 1 year warranty. Why not send yours back and get it replaced or repaired?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My brand new 2018 Volt has an issue with my JuiceBox. Most of the time when I plug it in, it doesn't register. I have to very gently push directly downward on the charger's handle. At that point it immediately engages and maintains a consistent connection, even if I wiggle the handle. This JuiceBox has charged several other EVs.

This may not be a related to your issue but it's weird all the same. I haven't used my Volt with enough other chargers to get a good sample size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update. My Duosida was still having intermittent issues sometimes charging and other times not. Seems like it has been working less and less. Maybe works about 10% of the time.

I ordered one of those adapters from Etsy to allow me to plug my factory charger into a 220. Ordered it from seller IdeaFab on August 13th but didn’t arrive until August 31st. Seems to charge just fine with the adapter on L2.

Looks like it must be my Duosida charger. I ordered it off eBay sometime ago so not sure if there is a warranty or not. Does anyone know where I could send it in to get it fixed. Maybe it’s not worth getting it fixed though depending on price.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Contact the eBay seller.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I bought 2 Dousidas directly from the factory. I sent one which failed after 9 months back and they replaced it for free. The other has worked fine for 18 months. There is someone on the forum who sells them who said he’d fix them. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate the information! If you find out who fixes them let me know. Ebay seller won’t fix. Would be nice to have two chargers so I have a back up if needed. So far the adapter with the original charger is still working great. Very happy with it despite the long wait in shipping!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts