GM Volt Forum banner

Level 2 charger

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Sean_R 
#1 ·
I am in the position of purchasing a level II charger and have a 2012 charge point unit available I'm just wondering should I entertain purchasing this unit used or a new one with the warranty?

#2 ·
If the old one is cheap and works, and if you don't need any features it lacks, you might as well save the bucks.

FWIW, I just bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet add-on, as sold here. It's supposed to arrive on Saturday. This unit is way overkill for a Volt, but I wanted to future-proof, and I'm also a bit of a data pack-rat, so the JuiceNet features appeal to me. (Of course, Juice Boxes have the same network features, and modern ChargePoint units have similar features, too.) As near as I can tell from my research, there are a lot of good EVSEs out there, so it's hard to go badly wrong, with the caveat that you might need specific features. (Mine's going outside, for instance, so I wanted the best possible weatherproofing.)

#3 ·
I sometimes buy used equipment if it's cheap enough and the product has a good track record. Other than a few bum units, higher end EVSEs have proven to be reliable.

#4 ·
Depends on a few things;

What is your budget for this including installation?
What are your requirements? Wifi? Cord length? Charging just one Volt? Something else as well?

I have no issue buying used items, but if it fits the requirements, with a great 16A setup with a 25' cord going for $380 and less, I'd have a hard time buying a used unit myself.

#5 ·
I bought the plug-in version of the Charge Point level II charger from Amazon in 2015. Didn't like the idea of having a charger hard wired. When it arrived, I found the stud to mount it above my 240 V plug, drilled the holes, put in the screws, and had the charger installed and working in less than half an hour.

This charger that I got new last year has WiFi and based on my location, knows the utility rates, etc. I can look at the trends and see that I generally use about $27 of electricity per month. On my phone I can see every time I charge, how long, and how much it cost to charge as well as the monthly trends. I spent extra $ to get this WiFi capability with the level II charger and think over the long run, it is worth the extra $.

#6 ·
I'll echo what srs5694 said - the used one will likely work just fine, and you're more data-hungry (as both srs5694 and myself are), you can get the add-ons to measure your charging stats. I was intrigued by the JuicePlug device, but hadn't really looked at it, since I've already decided to buy a L2 EVSE with good data measurement capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.