GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our Volt (#C8623) for over two weeks before the Level 2 charger we ordered through Duke Energy's Charge Carolinas program was installed. During those early weeks we found that we were limited to a single trip per day if we wanted to run on battery power alone due to the 10+ hours it took to charge with the provided charger.

Now that we have had the Level 2 charger for almost a week, the car has become much more practical, allowing us to run some errands in the morning and then head out again if we want to after just a few hours of charging at 240 volts.

It also seems like the pre-conditioning is more effective with the Level 2 charger.

The unit provided by Duke is a Siemens commercial-grade device equipped with a cell-phone transmitter that will relay usage back to Duke (visible in attached photo on top right of case). They are running this pilot program for two years to gauge how EV use will affect their power generation requirements. The charger and installation were provided by Duke Energy free of charge, and at the end of the 2-year evaluation they will sell me the charger for $250 if I want to keep it (and, of course, I will).

EV owners in North and South Carolina who are Duke Energy customers can apply to join this pilot program online at:
http://www.duke-energy.com/plugin/ChargeCarolinas.asp

Because we are retired and not tied to a daily work schedule, having a Level 2 charger gives us much more freedom to use the Volt as we would any other car. For us it's an important part of the whole EV package, and highly recommended.

Charger with Volt.jpg Charger.jpg

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Bingo another Red one! :D That is exactly why we have 2 SPX level 2 chargers. The convenience of the 4 hour or less charge is worth the expense to us.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Of course, you could take the Volt out as much you want anyway, and just burn a little gas doing so. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've seen the same thing - we use our Volt a lot more now that we have a Level 2 charger, and we use gas a lot less often. I have averaged 60 miles per day on the Volt in the 4 months since we have had the L2 charger. Now that I have 4 drivers in the house, I find that we are fighting over it so much that I may need to get another one!

I do wish that Progress Energy would get with the program. I am jealous of the Duke Energy customers who get a free charger!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice to see that people are figuring out you can do a mucho more electric miles with an L2 charge!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like mine too. I can come home, plug in, and run back out for errands after and hour or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Progress Energy does have a program just like the one at Duke, except better--after two years the unit is free. Progress is having my 240-V charger installed on December 29. Google "Progress Energy Car Chargers" and get the details about how to sign up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Progress Energy does have a program just like the one at Duke, except better--after two years the unit is free. Progress is having my 240-V charger installed on December 29. Google "Progress Energy Car Chargers" and get the details about how to sign up.
Yep, you are right! Unfortunately they were 3 months too late for me. I hope others can take advantage.

(a funny note - when I did the google search, the first thing that popped up was your post here on gm-volt!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Electricities

Glad Duke and Progress are helping out, Electricities (Eastern NC) is proud to drive around in a converted Prius but offer NO, absolutely NO incentives/rates or help. They have the highest rates in the state and continue to screw their customers!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I definitely make use of my L2 charger. I generally drive to/from work and it is about 25-30 miles. I plug in when I get home and regularly head back out for errands, shopping, etc. after a couple of hours and am able to do that on electric. If I had just the 120V charger, I would be burning more gas.

I keep the 120V charger in the back under the cover to use when I am out. I do not want to have to constantly get out the charger at home, so I planned to buy another one anyway. Since both the SPX-Voltec L2 charger and the replacement 120V charger (like what comes with the car) are about $500 each, the cost is about the same. True, I did have to have some minor electrical work done to add a breaker and mount the L2 charger, but the quicker charging benefits much out weigh the cost delta.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been chomping at the bit for an L2 but Duke is taking FOR-EVER to install mine! I started the process on Oct 21st (10 days before I bought my Volt) and have responded immediately at each step of the way. With my patterns of driving I know I'll be a prime beneficiary of 240v charging but looks as though it'll be 2012 before I get one. And the winter solstice is 2 days away. Grrr.... :(

Ok, rant's over. Peaceful thoughts. No negative waves, man, no negative waves :) <--- see the smiley face?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
May, maybe not, I will have to pay $250 at the end of two years but the cost of installation is less than the $1,000 the program allows. Some people have reported that the installation costs exceeded the amount included in the program. My charges were under budget

Install Cuttler hammer mini breakers in panel to make room for 2/40 for EVSE. Install EVSE unit on wall adjacent at location by homeowner. At 2ft below panel set a 4x4 box. Run 8/2 inside wall from panel to box. From box run a 3/4 EMT conduit around corner and tie into EVSE approx. 10 linear feet from box. Pull THHN wire to unit, tap wires in 4x4box (bond box) and terminate wires in EVSE and panel. Feeder length is approx. 14ft.
Clean all debris, final paperwork ,and go over operations with homeowner.
Cost of Installation Work
Name of Installation Company: Utility Partners of America Total Cost of Installation $ 930.51 Inspection Requirement:
(a) Duke Energy’s responsibility to pay $ 930.51 Is a county inspection required for the
Total Customer’s responsibility to pay $ 0.00 installation?
(b) Portion of Payment required prior to start of work $ 0.00 (c) Portion of Payment required after completion of work $ 0.00

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've been chomping at the bit for an L2 but Duke is taking FOR-EVER to install mine! I started the process on Oct 21st (10 days before I bought my Volt) and have responded immediately at each step of the way. With my patterns of driving I know I'll be a prime beneficiary of 240v charging but looks as though it'll be 2012 before I get one. And the winter solstice is 2 days away. Grrr.... :(

Ok, rant's over. Peaceful thoughts. No negative waves, man, no negative waves :) <--- see the smiley face?
I found the opposite to be true in my case, I started the ball rolling a couple months ago but put things on hold because I had to deal with other things. I re-started last Tuesday (1/17/12) by filling out and emailing the required paperwork. The site assessment was done Monday (1/23/12). The contract was emailed yesterday but I didn't check my email till today. Everything is all set to go the only thing remaining is for the electrician to get the required permit. I don't think I am being over optmistic in expecting it will be completed in another week

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My charger is getting installed through the progress energy program in 2 weeks. I can't wait. I exhaust my range when I get home, and dont like to drive the car on extended. Would like to have more juice available.

The cost of the Aerovironment charger and the install was $1200, inside of the $1500 allowance that Progress Offers.

I like the industrial look of the Duke charger, but I'm not sure why that one is so much bigger. Probably supports more current if the car allows it, but alas, our Volts do not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts