GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to ELCO chevy out in Ballwin today to inquire about getting a new style
charger. Mine is the one with the orange cord and the 12" pigtail. First
they tried to tell me it wasn't under warranty, I had to point out
the 8 yr 100,000 mile warranty the hybrid components.
Then they never heard of the campaign. Well it's documented all over the web, but I
can find no official documentation from GM.
Does anyone have the source of this info, or a letter from the General
I could provide them with.
I really hate to start off a relationship with a dealership like this.
The Lexus dealer in town pointed out things to fix before the warranty expired
on my wifes RX400h

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
The number used to be 1-877-486-5846. I'm assuming it hasn't changed.

Keep in mind there is no recall on the charge cords. It's more a customers satisfaction event. I say that because if you start talking about a recall -- which means something specific to a car company -- they may not understand what you're referring to.

I wouldn't worry about being a reasonable and well informed customer.

· Registered
290 Posts
Refer the dealership to this bulletin/tsb. 11188A: Customer Satisfaction - Enhanced 120 Volt Charge Cord

Not all volts are covered under this warranty and your car may have had the cord exchanged. If you give me the last 8 numbers of the VIN, I can check for you.

5,595 Posts
Is the small part of the cord that plugs into the wall orange? If not, you have the right charger even if the long cord to the car is orange.

It's the chargers with the orange cord to the wall outlet that get replaced.

· Administrator
23,436 Posts
It's the chargers with the orange cord to the wall outlet that get replaced.
For those that don't know or are newbies reading this post months from now, technically the thing that's called a charger is located behind the front bumper (passenger side). What's plugged into the wall is the EVSE (a.k.a. the charge cord) :)

I prefer to use the correct name when dealing with a service department. Less chance of mis-communication. I think clueless owners are perhaps more likely to be taken advantage of than someone who knows what they are talking about.

· Registered
5,194 Posts
I went to ELCO chevy out in Ballwin today to inquire about getting a new style
charger. Mine is the one with the orange cord and the 12" pigtail. First
they tried to tell me it wasn't under warranty, I had to point out
the 8 yr 100,000 mile warranty the hybrid components.
Then they never heard of the campaign. Well it's documented all over the web, but I
can find no official documentation from GM.
Does anyone have the source of this info, or a letter from the General
I could provide them with.
I really hate to start off a relationship with a dealership like this.
The Lexus dealer in town pointed out things to fix before the warranty expired
on my wifes RX400h
This is why General Motors has the Volt Advisor Program. Please Call (877) 486-5846 and ask to speak with with you Chevy Volt advisor. They can help you resolve this exact issue.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do that thank you. As an aside this car is amazing.
Got into the 30 mile range today and still had some left.
Figured it would have been in the high 40's.
Rides nice, quiet and the base model has a
really nice sound system. Can't imagine how good
the premium system sounds.

5,595 Posts
For those that don't know or are newbies reading this post months from now, technically the thing that's called a charger is located behind the front bumper (passenger side). What's plugged into the wall is the EVSE (a.k.a. the charge cord) :)
Yeah that's fair. I admittedly use the wrong terminology here always, but only because I feel like most people don't understand what an EVSE is, but identify it as being a charger, haha. Thanks for clearing it up Steverino.

I kind of feel like calling the EVSE a charger is analogous to calling the stuff inside a pencil lead. It's not lead, but everyone calls it that, haha. Or calling aluminum foil "tin foil". :)

· Registered
290 Posts
Your car does not apply to the 11188a bulletin. Also your charge cord has never been replaced under warranty, but that does not mean that someone has not replaced it. There has only been one warranty repair, the PIM was reprogrammed. There is a open recall to check for the coolant level in the battery cooling system, if they did not perform this at your last visit then you need to have it done. The information I have is only for warranty repairs paid by GM, I can not see any other information not paid by the customer.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mp, I did see that it had the black pigtail.
I looked like it had never been used the way it was coiled up.
I'll check out the open recall. Is ir just a matter of topping off
the coolant? Are you a GM tech?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.