GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stupidly left the charger plugged in to an exterior 120VAC outlet while I ran a short errand and it was apparently stolen while I was gone. Anyone have one for sale?

ETA: Had wrapped the plug/cable with American flag duct tape for strain relief and visibility. Lots of homeless here, probably going to strip it for 5 bucks of copper.

Wish the EVSE was built-in and just needed a 12 gauge extension cord.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
Except the 12 gauge extension cord becomes and electrical hazard where you can get zapped if you aren't careful. The whole point of the EVSE is to prevent killing yourself as the car is pulling high current.

It is a sad state of affairs when people take things that aren't theirs. When I lived in Chicagoland, we were cindistioned to lock everything, keep extra cash in a different pocket than your wallet in case you get mugged, and always be on the lookout for crime. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere where people leave their vehicles at the grocery store unlocked, running, with the keys in it and some people don't even carry house keys as the houses are unlocked.

I don't even bother trying to use my L1 EVSE in public any more. The few miles of range gained from plugging in forever just isn't worth it. And if you don't already have an L2 EVSE, this would be the perfect time to go ahead and upgrade.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you still in town? I can loan you one if you'd like. Sadly your charger is probably someone's next hit of meth or smack.

I found that you can lock the charger in the back of the car and the cord is long enough to reach the charging port.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer but I'm headed back to Spokane tomorrow with a full tank of gas so should be OK. Just annoying and sad that I will have to spend $200 - 300 to replace it while the thief gets $5 for the copper. I was not charging when this happened, just lazy enough to think I could leave it outside for an hour. I did make a police report and will be calling the local recycling places to be on the lookout for it.

Putting the EVSE in the trunk while charging has some advantages but slightly awkward and I wonder about deforming the weather seal rubber.

I did purchase a level 2 charger that I have not used as I haven't installed 240VAC in the garage yet. It is a portable type, can't remember the brand right now, wondering if I can adapt it to use 120/240 and avoid purchasing a replacement 120V.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If you are lucky, it might have been taken by hotel staff thinking it needed to be cleaned up. Did you check with them?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
It is a sad state of affairs when people take things that aren't theirs.

I don't even bother trying to use my L1 EVSE in public any more. The few miles of range gained from plugging in forever just isn't worth it. And if you don't already have an L2 EVSE, this would be the perfect time to go ahead and upgrade.
Concur with all three points.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just wondering if the EVSE theft alarm was turned on. Anyone using the EVSE in public should be sure the alarm is on. Something I've noticed about my 2016 Volt is the alarm doesn't go off until the charging door is closed. Is this right? In that case, the cord could be taken without the alarm going off.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If you buy another portable, get the 2016+ version. It will act like an L2 if you make a 240v adapter for it.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I have a 34 year old production EV, it plugs into a standard 10 Guage extension cord.

In 34 years of operation many parked in a puddle during rain no electrocution.

The ground fault sensor belongs inside the car or inside the wall socket
J1772 is completely unnecessary on L1,
L2 perhaps,
but L1 is just a cash grab requirement...
I don't know...
You don't want to be Griswold's brother-in-law out standing in the rain, beer in one hand and a live extension cord in the other.

BTW, there is now such thing as a 240 Volt shock to ground. The only place there is 240V is across the two opposing 120V lines that are 180* out of phase.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's a free level 2 charger available on N 2nd St just a block away from Essencia Artisan Bakery. That's a good place for coffee and breakfast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, used it last night to top up the battery, won't be driving electric again until I can get a replacement L1.

Still think a GFI protected extension cord direct to the car with onboard EVSE would have been a better design. Then it would be a $50 replacement instead of $400.

Thanks again for your replies. Have only seen one other Volt in Yakima, a white Gen 1 - yours?

·
Registered
118 Posts
At least for the Gen2, the EVSE is designed to take a small lock on the J1772 end. There's even a thread about what locks work well here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ocking-EVSE-that-comes-with-Volt-to-the-wheel

The lock is a pretty minor deterrent; even a small bolt cutter would break through it rather easily, I'm sure. Also, if the thief just wanted to sell it for its copper content, unplugging it from the wall and hacking through the cable would do the job from the thief's perspective, I'm sure. Still, a small deterrent is better than no deterrent....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I stupidly left the charger plugged in to an exterior 120VAC outlet while I ran a short errand and it was apparently stolen while I was gone. Anyone have one for sale?

ETA: Had wrapped the plug/cable with American flag duct tape for strain relief and visibility. Lots of homeless here, probably going to strip it for 5 bucks of copper.

Wish the EVSE was built-in and just needed a 12 gauge extension cord.
Check your local salvage yards if nobody on here is able to provide.

BTW, highly unlikely a homeless person stole your EVSE.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a black 2013 and a grey 2015.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
The OP said he went on a errand and left the unplugged ESVE plugged into an outlet and taped to a flag pole? Anti-theft alarm wouldn't help if it wasn't plugged into the car. This is probably the main reason I don't use my ESVE to charge at random outlets. It's simpler to just burn some gas than buy a replacement for a stolen ESVE. $200 buys more gas than I use in a year.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My guess is that this will end up in a Pawn Shop.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
BTW, there is now such thing as a 240 Volt shock to ground. The only place there is 240V is across the two opposing 120V lines that are 180* out of phase.
Well much of the world is 220-240V to ground (400V phase-phase)

Canada/US/Mexico are kinda the exception ...and Japan.

Still think a GFI protected extension cord direct to the car with onboard EVSE would have been a better design.
That's basically what it is. A GFCI protected extension cord that the car can turn on and off, with some simple communication to indicate available current. It's a 2-part system for safety (EVSE + on board charger) Putting both parts on the vehicle negates the safety features.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts