GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone know why when I fully charge my 2017 Volt the display shows less than 53 miles available. Usually 51 miles are displayed as available even when fully charged from a 120 volt outlet.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Lead foot, hills, or >65mph driving.
The range shown after a full charge is ONLY an estimate of what you can expect if you drive in the same conditions and the same style as you have been driving the last few days. This range estimate is effected by Temperature, Terrain, and Technique.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Drive it like a granny for a few days and you will be close to 60 miles of range. There are people who do mostly low speed city driving who get even more range than that.

me? Living in Texas with a 70+ mile commute every day that's mostly highway, I usually see 53-55miles of range if I behave on the roads.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I too live in the St Louis area and as you know temps have jumped again, AC use will impact your range. And how you charge 120 or 240) has NO impact on range. Both will fill your battery, just that a 240V EVSE charges faster.

Will you be at the Jack Schmitt Volt Technology Meet and Greet tonight? That would be a good way to meet fellow St Louis Volt owners, compare notes and get questions answered.

It starts at 6 pm at the O Fallon dealership.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The number displayed changes base upon your driving habits.. An example, my 20 miles drive to work has aprx 9 highway (60-75 MPH speeds) , the first few weeks my showed 46 miles full charge..
After changing my driving habits, I first start the car remote and let it cool off, while plugged in added 3 miles to this, I changed the way I start/stop.. and I had 56 miles full..
Give it a few weeks for the computer to see your driving habits..
At first I was ending the day with 2-3 miles left, but the battery could have had more and it adjust over time, also going up/down steep hills makes a different.. Give it a few weeks and let us know how it goes.
G

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
For all the newbs - It does down when it's cold. It also goes down if you go fast. Take it slow and it will last longer. I suspect the OP is driving it like a jackrabbit. (Left wide open as Elemental bait, but sadly, he is MIA)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Like above, it's a range estimator based on recent history.

I can take a 2016 Volt that says 46 miles on the meter, and drive it 60 miles without the gas engine turning on. Or I can take a Volt that says 62 miles on the meter and empty the charge in 38 miles.

High speed is the #1 factor in EV range. Go over 65mph and the range starts to fall quickly. #2 is the climate control, ESPECIALLY the heater. The higher you set these, the more juice they pull from the battery.

It is pretty easy to hit 60+ miles per charge if you practice at it.

BTW - All my ICE vehicles do exactly the same thing. Towing heavy yields 9 mpg and 300 miles range. Cruising down the freeway will net 700 miles of estimated range.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Like above, it's a range estimator based on recent history.

I can take a 2016 Volt that says 46 miles on the meter, and drive it 60 miles without the gas engine turning on. Or I can take a Volt that says 62 miles on the meter and empty the charge in 38 miles.

High speed is the #1 factor in EV range. Go over 65mph and the range starts to fall quickly. #2 is the climate control, ESPECIALLY the heater. The higher you set these, the more juice they pull from the battery.

It is pretty easy to hit 60+ miles per charge if you practice at it.

BTW - All my ICE vehicles do exactly the same thing. Towing heavy yields 9 mpg and 300 miles range. Cruising down the freeway will net 700 miles of estimated range.
This is what 7 MPG looks like

and on the highway I easily got 26 MPG. So speed kills.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Confucius say: "Pay no attention to the Guess O Meter."

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Lead foot, hills, or >65mph driving.
The range shown after a full charge is ONLY an estimate of what you can expect if you drive in the same conditions and the same style as you have been driving the last few days. This range estimate is effected by Temperature, Terrain, and Technique.
This ^^ Ignore the V-Estimate :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Confucius say: "Pay no attention to the Guess O Meter."
I would change that to read "Pay no attention to the Guess O Meter until you are more than halfway through the charge..."

I have found that the estimated range shown gets more "real world" as you are driving since it adjusts based on the way you are driving at the time.

The closer to empty I get, the more accurately it reflects how much range I have left.

Best,
Rick

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would change that to read "Pay no attention to the Guess O Meter until you are more than halfway through the charge..."

I have found that the estimated range shown gets more "real world" as you are driving since it adjusts based on the way you are driving at the time.

The closer to empty I get, the more accurately it reflects how much range I have left.

Best,
Rick
What do you base this theory on?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Best,
Rick
Yes. And it becomes dead accurate when you are down to 1km left! Of course at that point, a monkey can guess timate your range.

As Confucius said, look at how many kWh have been consumed, knowing that a gen 2 has about 15kWh in the tank. That's how most people drive gas cars, by looking at the gas needle, not the estimated range.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What do you base this theory on?
I base this on the fact that when I take trips where I am draining the battery, I know approximately how many miles I am from home and what I see on the Guess o meter.

So (just throwing out numbers here) say I have 30 miles on my guess o meter and I know I am 28 miles from home (as per Google Maps via Android Auto), and I've been driving at a fairly consistent speed (ie, highway), I often arrive home with 1 or 2 miles left on the Guess o meter, or perhaps had the ICE turn on as I approach home.

I've seen this consistently. That's not to say something couldn't throw that off...

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
get a label maker and make a (+- 20 percent) label ;-)

"What do you base this theory on?"

or as Sheldon said while stuck on a rock-climbing wall and remarks,

"What part of an inverse tangent function approaching an asymptote don't you understand?"

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I can't wait until winter arrives and we see a slew of folks wondering if their batteries are failing as their range drops nearly in half. I'll warn g2 owners now, expect your range to drop to ~40 miles or less if you live in an area that gets wintery cold. I'm lucky to get 25 miles of range in the winter in IL with my g1, with the heat on and driving highway speeds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That range think is different from a gauge. Its an estimate of how many miles you have left if you drive like the way you drive before you charge the car. If you feather it for a few days it will go back up. If you put it in sports mode and floor it for few days you see it go down. Try looking at the back instead like in a gas car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts