GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on which ones? I know, not the best tires possible, but I really like the convenience of having them rotated for free on a regular basis. And the stores are close, as compared to my dealer.

But if they're really not a good (enough) buy for a Gen 1 Volt, I'll go elsewhere.

TIA,

Kathy

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have used Les Schwab for tires all my life on everything from Ford trucks to Audi 6 with Quatro. I have had best luck with their Toro tires...their high end tires, Japanese I believe. When my Volt needs tires I will definitely being shopping Les Schwab, probably against Costco as well. Haven't actually used Costco yet for tires.
My local Schwab dealer offers fast, reliable service.....I think they have gotten a bit more expensive over the years so I don't just assume they will have the best price....kind of like Costco.....you need to comparison shop.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,473 Posts
I have had best luck with their Toro tires...their high end tires, Japanese I believe.
Toyo, maybe?

Kathy, remember that Les Schwab does not manufacture any tires. They used to have one model private labeled for them by Toyo and they sold Hankook, Toyo, and some Thailand tire. Now, I just went to their website and they do not reveal the name of the real manufacturers; that alone would cause me to rule them out, but that's just me. As suggested by SOSmerc, the most important thing is to comparison shop the exact same tire at a few different tire dealers. I'd suggest you include a Discoun/America's Tire dealer in your shopping. I think most tire dealers will rotate tires free that you buy from them, but Discount/America's Tire will patch any tire free regardless of where you bought it. No matter what, don't buy from a car dealer unless it is owned by a relative.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Schwab's is horrible, at least the few in our area. They presure people to always buy new tires and say things like "we can't let you leave with a tire in that condition" when it just had abnormal wear. Especially bad with women. The rotation service is nice but that's about it. Also very expensive.

It's rare that they have more then 1-2 cars at a time anymore there. Look elsewhere

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Schwab's is horrible, at least the few in our area. They presure people to always buy new tires and say things like "we can't let you leave with a tire in that condition" when it just had abnormal wear. Especially bad with women. The rotation service is nice but that's about it. Also very expensive.

It's rare that they have more then 1-2 cars at a time anymore there. Look elsewhere

Sorry to read that.
I've never had a better experience at a tire shop than Les Schwab. Any time I've had a flat on anything I take it to them and they fix it free no mater where i got it. In my opinion there is no better tire than a Toyo. I used to be a trucker and the Toyo would outwear any other tire by double or more.
Between Toyo and Schwab you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with Toyo for mud terrain. I buy online and have other tire shops install for a hell of a lot cheaper then Schwab's

Sorry to read that.
I've never had a better experience at a tire shop than Les Schwab. Any time I've had a flat on anything I take it to them and they fix it free no mater where i got it. In my opinion there is no better tire than a Toyo. I used to be a trucker and the Toyo would outwear any other tire by double or more.
Between Toyo and Schwab you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I hope Schwab's quality and service is not declining, but in this day and age with extreme competition for skilled workers and quality products, I would not be surprised. My local small town Les Schwab tire shop will be my first stop, but I will certainly shop around before I buy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all.

My local dealer is great, but yes, once Les died, the dealers are more on their own.

I called, and they have Mazama, Toyo, and others. Their recommendation for a Volt is Road Control Touring A/S. Constructed to wear evenly, for longer life
Smooth, quiet ride
Optimized wet/dry traction
M + S rated

For which, of course, I can find no reviews on. Sigh.

Kathy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further checking shows the Michelin's out of stock at Costco.

I can drive 40 miles to another town to get to Discount Tires and get PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 tires for not much more than Les Schwab. Just not the convenience of being 5 miles from my house, free rotations, rebalancing, etc.

And is winter really the best time to replace tires if the first 500 miles or so of break-in will make for a squirrely ride? :confused:

Kathy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Further checking shows the Michelin's out of stock at Costco.

I can drive 40 miles to another town to get to Discount Tires and get PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 tires for not much more than Les Schwab. Just not the convenience of being 5 miles from my house, free rotations, rebalancing, etc.

And is winter really the best time to replace tires if the first 500 miles or so of break-in will make for a squirrely ride? :confused:

Kathy
Thats another issue with Shwabs, they only like to sell what they carry. And most of the things are rebadged crap. Do you have a Big O Tires or a smaller shop? You can order your own tires and have them put on. Our local BigO Price matched some P7s from Walmart and installed. Super easy.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I’ve had good experiences with Portland area Les Schwab stores for many years (although it seems they no longer offer Free Beef specials in the spring), but when it recently came time to buy new tires for the 2012 Volt I’ve been driving for 6+ years, I decided to get another set of the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires that have served me well until now. The choice, in part, was because there are a number of Goodyear Service Centers in the Portland area (as well as elsewhere), so the product was available at a reasonable price, plus servicing was also available if it should be needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Corvallis. Nearest is Big O tires is Roseburg, over 100 miles away. Even for Discount Tires I have to drive half an hour to another town (Salem).

I'll keep looking!

Kathy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help, and the forum in general.

I'm going with Les Schwab Toyo Ultra Z900. Will get them installed next Monday. I'll post observations in the coming month.

Most of my driving is local, so I'll really only notice any range differences when I head to Portland, Salem, or Eugene.

Kathy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts