GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have seen threads that make the suggestion to GM that users should be allowed to start the ICE manually before the battery has dropped to 30% charge. In BC, Canada, this will be a legal requirement. Cars are required to go through our Air Care program. This program tests vehicles for emissions such as SOx, NOx, CO and CO2. If a car fails, it can't be insured. There may be states in the US that have similar emissions programs. In order to run this test, the driver will need to be able to start the ICE on command. Is anyone else aware of this issue? Is anyone aware of states that have emissions programs similar to the one described above?
________
..deleted. spame..by Scott Fauque....

·
Registered
218 Posts
In Massachusetts, emissions testing on newer cars is done by connecting to the on-board computer - if the computer thinks all is good, then you pass.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I believe it's the same thing here in Connecticut. Neat. They charge you to plug into the diagnostic port and just take the car's word for it that it meets emmission requirements.

Why not just call me and ask if check engine light is on?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Having the hood open makes the ICE start running when I turn on my 2011. At least it did before the latest software update.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Interesting, AZ has emission requirements and they actually sniff the tail pipe. Yesterday I moved the registration from Michigan (I know slightly illegal) to AZ and got my title moved as well. I was certain they would require a sniff test but I guess since it was so close to new they just passed it.

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
I have seen threads that make the suggestion to GM that users should be allowed to start the ICE manually before the battery has dropped to 30% charge.
EPA and CARB don't like it.

See: A-non-mountain-reason-for-Mountain-Mode
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?8450-A-non-mountain-reason-for-Mountain-Mode.&p=79581#post79581

Wait a second -- there was spam at the bottom of the original post. Deleting it. Leaving these post above as they point to legit info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting, AZ has emission requirements and they actually sniff the tail pipe. Yesterday I moved the registration from Michigan (I know slightly illegal) to AZ and got my title moved as well. I was certain they would require a sniff test but I guess since it was so close to new they just passed it.
I think it depends on the year. My 2006 RX-8 finally needed its first emissions test a few months ago and they just connected to the OBD and did not sniff the tail pipe. They trust the newer cars OBD. From Mesa - Volt is bayed and waiting for transportation by truck, rail, or transfer to vendor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts