GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memory sucks. I left my fob in the car and the car auto locked. My wife unlocked me with hers. What do you guys do if that happens?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you have OnStar, you can unlock by making a phone call, using the smartphone app, or maybe the web page on a computer. Otherwise, you have a problem.

You should check the car's settings. You can turn off auto lock and there is an another setting for anti-lockout.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Memory sucks. I left my fob in the car and the car auto locked. My wife unlocked me with hers. What do you guys do if that happens?
It happened when I brought my car to the dealer for tire rotation. They told me to leave the key in the dash of the car. Soon enough, after I went to the lounge, the car auto-locked and they came rushing to me to beg if I have extra fob key! And sure enough, I have, and the app too if needed.

From now on, they ask every Volt owner to keep the driver side window open and leave the key in the dash.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There's also 3 chirp beeps that would tell that you left a fobkey in the car when you step out of the car and close the door.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I think turning off auto lock will work. Not sure how to do that be will investigate. If I have to push lock I can't forget the fob.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not sufe if you have a gen 1 or 2 but in my gen 2, if I leave the fob in the car, the doors automatically unlock and the car triple-honks. Saved my a** one time when I got out of the car in a hurry and left my fob in my coat pocket on the front seat :) I also realized after the fact that I had the app on my phone had I gotten locked out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a gen 2 as well. That sounds like the anti-lock feature. I have been reluctant to use the phone app because I know I will not be using Onstar after the trial period. I thought the phone app was part of Onstar.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Keep the app It lets you have a downloaded indexed owners manual on your phone.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is just strange. I have a gen 1 and if the keys are left in the car it will not auto lock. To lock it I have to push the button on the fob if keys are left inside.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I carry the fob in my pocket and only take it out to lock and unlock the car so I'll never leave my keys in the car. Auto lock is turned off. I've been locking my car doors for over 50 years now. The day I forget to lock the car doors will likely be the day I forget how to get home and it will be time to hang 'em up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had my FOB lock inside the car several times. Most of the time it is the garage, so getting the extra FOB to unlock it is pretty easy. One time it did it at a car wash and it wasn't so easy! I have not been able to figure out what I do (if anything) to cause it to lock. My phone app would not unlock it. I have disabled all the auto lock features that I can and it still happens. That self locking trait. along with Android auto working in inconsistent manners (Spotify starts automatically at times and I can't get it to start at all other times) are my biggest complaints about my Volt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had my FOB lock inside the car several times. Most of the time it is the garage, so getting the extra FOB to unlock it is pretty easy. One time it did it at a car wash and it wasn't so easy! I have not been able to figure out what I do (if anything) to cause it to lock. My phone app would not unlock it. I have disabled all the auto lock features that I can and it still happens. That self locking trait. along with Android auto working in inconsistent manners (Spotify starts automatically at times and I can't get it to start at all other times) are my biggest complaints about my Volt.
On my 2018 premier I figured out the path to stop it from locking with the key in the car. I think. It still auto locks when the key is not in the car. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you definitely have the auto lock feature turned off, then another possibility is that your key fob has an intermittent internal short that is causing you grief. Try swapping fobs and take the battery out of the suspect one. I have a Volt key fob like that, and also a garage door remote that does the same thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm confused? If the remote is still within 3 feet of the car i.e. on the dash, on the seat etc. if you push the button on the door won't it unlock?
From the owners manual.
Keyless Access Operation
To lock and unlock the doors and
access the hatch, the RKE
transmitter should be within 1 m
(3 ft) of the door or hatch.
The Keyless Access can be
programmed to unlock all doors on
the first lock/unlock press from the
driver door. See Vehicle
Personalization on page 5-54

My Volt is new to me, but what keeps the door locked if the remote is within the 3 foot range.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm confused? If the remote is still within 3 feet of the car i.e. on the dash, on the seat etc. if you push the button on the door won't it unlock?
From the owners manual.
Keyless Access Operation
To lock and unlock the doors and
access the hatch, the RKE
transmitter should be within 1 m
(3 ft) of the door or hatch.
The Keyless Access can be
programmed to unlock all doors on
the first lock/unlock press from the
driver door. See Vehicle
Personalization on page 5-54

My Volt is new to me, but what keeps the door locked if the remote is within the 3 foot range.

Thanks.
The car is smart enough to know if the key is inside or outside of the vehicle. If the key is inside, then the exterior door unlock buttons do not work. It has to work this way for security reasons. You need to be able to lock yourself inside your vehicle and keep others out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car is smart enough to know if the key is inside or outside of the vehicle. If the key is inside, then the exterior door unlock buttons do not work. It has to work this way for security reasons. You need to be able to lock yourself inside your vehicle and keep others out.
Makes perfect sense. Thank You

1 - 16 of 16 Posts