GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed LED Head Lamps, and LED Switchbacks for the parking lights/turn signals in the front. I have used a Recitifier diode to force the DRL lights to be on when the headlamps are on, but I have a question about the parking lights/turn signals.

when the headlights are on, the LED Switchbacks are set to white, then change to flashing orange when turn signal is activated. when the headlights are off, the LED switchbacks are off, but flash orange when turn signal is activated.
I'd like to have the LED switchbacks set to white all the time regardless of whether or not headlights are on, but I still want them to change to orange when turn signal is activate.
I was thinking of just tapping into the wire that turns them white and running that into an empty fuse slot. I was wondering if I do this, will they still change to orange when turn signal is activated? if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I'm not an electrical engineer, but if it is getting it's signal to turn white from the headlight or the parking light circuit, you could change it so that signal comes from the DRL (which is on day and night in your vehicle). It seems like that would give it the behavior you want. It would also allow you to turn them off with the headlight switch if desired, which would not work if you tap a fuse slot.

Be aware that your car would have double the DRLs, which would take some amount of energy that could otherwise be used for range.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Be sure and check your state DOT regs as some places can be kind of funny about how many lights are running on the front of a vehicle.

For example, Virginia DOT is undergoing a review because the law says "no more than 4 white filaments burning at the same time" Which, of course, doesn't take into account DRL and LED emitter groups so technically all LED based DRL are illegal in Virginia.

Fortunately, in an uncommon show of logic and reason, they are moving to a definition of "modules" and re-working the wording.

As for the question about the switchbacks, I believe that if you did what you planned you would get the white LED all the time, switching to orange when flashing, and back to white when done. Personally I'd set up a "test run" before I did anything irreversible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the ones I've seen, switchbacks are simply combo white/amber lights. The "running light" circuit of the bulb uses white LEDs and the "blinker" circuit uses amber LEDs. It's not switching anything per se, it's just that the running light is white and the blinker is amber (which usually also turns off the running light). This is opposed to cheap single-color LED bulbs, which simply have both circuits feeding into the same LEDs, with the running light at reduced output (so you get a dimmer running light and a brighter blinker from the same LEDs).

You should just need to feed the running light circuit from the DRL line (or some equivalent). As long as you have both circuits hooked up to lines that power the appropriate bulb circuits at the appropriate times, the bulbs should work completely as expected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts